San Antonio signed Gooden

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:47 pm
Not a star signing but I do think Gooden is more talented than any other big the Spurs have besides Duncan. The question is can Gooden fit in the Spurs, learn their ways and even play some defense, a requirement there. This signing could make the Spurs good enough to win the championship again, not that they weren't already, but it has to be seen. Gooden can score pretty well and if the Spurs face the Lakers, especially without Bynum or him not being 100%, Spurs could outmuscle them. Ginobili still out and if he can get to 100% by the playoffs, Spurs really close to the best team. Parker has also had a career season, being a monster lately

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 am
It was a great pick up by them. Adds more depth in the post since Bonner likes to play on the perimeter. Oberto... meh. Kurt Thomas is their only center on the bench that can hold it down in the post.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:25 am
Great signing for the Spurs. Gooden is flawed as a starter, sure, but as a role player, he's a tremendous improvement for them.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:49 am
once again, the rich get richer. Great get for them

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:56 pm
Quazza wrote:once again, the rich get richer. Great get for them

only in the NBA

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:10 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

only in the NBA

the MLB too :wink:
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 pm
E-Man wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

only in the NBA

In the real world too :wink:

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:26 pm
E-Man wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

only in the NBA

No, its different in the MLB. At least, there getting paid by the rich team. The NBA players that go to good teams are getting paid so little by there new team, and all the salary they receive is from their old team. Like the yanks can get anyone they want, but they at least they pay them top dollar. The celtics pay pennies for whoever they want at the expense of the other teams.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:53 pm
Interesting move. Does this mean Gooden will play center along with Timmy at PF, or vice versa? Cause I remember Duncan does not like playing C. Or will Gooden just simply relieve Duncan off the bench and let Duncan rest for the playoffs? Hmm.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:10 pm
JayPat wrote:Interesting move. Does this mean Gooden will play center along with Timmy at PF, or vice versa? Cause I remember Duncan does not like playing C. Or will Gooden just simply relieve Duncan off the bench and let Duncan rest for the playoffs? Hmm.

im gonna say that latter. i think Pop is gonna either keep bonner in there next to duncan and kurt thomas and drew gooden come in as the defense offense (respectively) off the bench. eventually i see drew gooden playing more minutes in the last month of the season when Pop usually likes to rest duncan.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:40 pm
E-Man wrote:
JayPat wrote:Interesting move. Does this mean Gooden will play center along with Timmy at PF, or vice versa? Cause I remember Duncan does not like playing C. Or will Gooden just simply relieve Duncan off the bench and let Duncan rest for the playoffs? Hmm.

im gonna say that latter. i think Pop is gonna either keep bonner in there next to duncan and kurt thomas and drew gooden come in as the defense offense (respectively) off the bench. eventually i see drew gooden playing more minutes in the last month of the season when Pop usually likes to rest duncan.

Good point and I think you are probably right. I do think the lineup of:

PG - Parker
SG - Ginobili
SF - Mason
PF - Gooden
C - Duncan

That's probably their best offensive five and could be used late in games in the playoffs if they have a bit of a lead, making the other team have to spread their defense

Return to NBA Forum