Marbury Waived

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:27 pm
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... e_marbury/
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:42 pm
He could end up in Boston or Miami, if the rumors are true. But if "the worst kept secret" card is pulled out, he'll be in Boston. They have an open roster spot and really need a back up PG.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 pm
Boston likely will pick him up and make another run at the championship. Pretty predictable

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm
migya wrote:Boston likely will pick him up and make another run at the championship. Pretty predictable

Yep, ESPN reported that him and the Celtics are negotiating a contract. Like I said, it'll be one of the worst kept secrets as the whole league knew that once he left New York, he'd go to Boston.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:37 pm
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:Boston likely will pick him up and make another run at the championship. Pretty predictable

Yep, ESPN reported that him and the Celtics are negotiating a contract. Like I said, it'll be one of the worst kept secrets as the whole league knew that once he left New York, he'd go to Boston.

No right how a team with a few stars can pickup all these waived and bought out star players. It has happened a heap in the last decade and really gives an advantage to the teams with the stars and the ability to compete for a championship. The Celts don't need Marbury, as a starter anyway, but they'll likely get him

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:06 am
the celtics are still a defensive stopper away from getting the 2nd of a back to back. marbury basically replaces cassell and mikki moore replaces pj brown. they still have no one to replace james posey's D. if the celtics happen to meet the lakers in the finals again, id bet the lakers win it in 5.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 am
If this was the NFL, the Knicks would sue the Celtics. But this is WWE i mean the NBA... move along.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:22 am
E-Man wrote:the celtics are still a defensive stopper away from getting the 2nd of a back to back. marbury basically replaces cassell and mikki moore replaces pj brown. they still have no one to replace james posey's D. if the celtics happen to meet the lakers in the finals again, id bet the lakers win it in 5.

If Bynum isn't healthy, the Celts will beat up the Lakers

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:09 am
migya wrote:No right how a team with a few stars can pickup all these waived and bought out star players. It has happened a heap in the last decade and really gives an advantage to the teams with the stars and the ability to compete for a championship. The Celts don't need Marbury, as a starter anyway, but they'll likely get him

Any team can claim him, but you have to take over his contract with the Knicks. So, basically, he's a free agent and in a few days (after he clears waivers) will sign with whoever wants to sign him... so he's gonna be Rondo's backup. Pretty amazing deal for him and the team.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:26 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:No right how a team with a few stars can pickup all these waived and bought out star players. It has happened a heap in the last decade and really gives an advantage to the teams with the stars and the ability to compete for a championship. The Celts don't need Marbury, as a starter anyway, but they'll likely get him

Any team can claim him, but you have to take over his contract with the Knicks. So, basically, he's a free agent and in a few days (after he clears waivers) will sign with whoever wants to sign him... so he's gonna be Rondo's backup. Pretty amazing deal for him and the team.

So his current contract paying him some 20 million a season is still valid? So if the Celts want him they have to pay him that amount? Aren't they over the salarycap as it is, making them incapable of signing any player making anywhere near that much?

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:07 am
migya wrote:So his current contract paying him some 20 million a season is still valid? So if the Celts want him they have to pay him that amount? Aren't they over the salarycap as it is, making them incapable of signing any player making anywhere near that much?

When somebody is waived, there's a time span of 48 hours in which any team can claim him on the condition of taking over his contract. If several teams try to get him, he goes to the one with the worst record.

If no team claims him, he clears waivers and becomes a true free agent. Any team can negotiate a new contract with him, for any amount, and the former team is the one that keeps paying the old contract.

In this case, I guess Boston will pay a bit over the minimum and the Knicks will keep paying his old $20+ million contract.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:13 am
wow celts must really want another championship aren't they at like 10mill over the lux tax threshold?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:So his current contract paying him some 20 million a season is still valid? So if the Celts want him they have to pay him that amount? Aren't they over the salarycap as it is, making them incapable of signing any player making anywhere near that much?

When somebody is waived, there's a time span of 48 hours in which any team can claim him on the condition of taking over his contract. If several teams try to get him, he goes to the one with the worst record.

If no team claims him, he clears waivers and becomes a true free agent. Any team can negotiate a new contract with him, for any amount, and the former team is the one that keeps paying the old contract.

In this case, I guess Boston will pay a bit over the minimum and the Knicks will keep paying his old $20+ million contract.

Just like the way it always is. I thought there was something different this time the way you wrote it, but all the same

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:29 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Just like the way it always is. I thought there was something different this time the way you wrote it, but all the same

I, at first, read it like you did Mig..............I was about to reply to TMC with "What the hell are you talking about, the new team taking on his salary!!!" then I realised he mean the clearing waivers period.

Has that EVER happend? I mean, a guy is waived, a big salary guy (its obviously happend for the small salary people) someone has picked him up and hence had to pay his old salary...........instead of waiting 48 hours so you can let the old team pay him loads, and you pay not much at all because hes still being paid by the old team!

With a guy whos on anything more than maybe 3-4 mil, I cant see why you would ever claim off waivers and not wait until he is a free agent............madness.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 am
bigstrads wrote:Has that EVER happend? I mean, a guy is waived, a big salary guy (its obviously happend for the small salary people) someone has picked him up and hence had to pay his old salary...........instead of waiting 48 hours so you can let the old team pay him loads, and you pay not much at all because hes still being paid by the old team!

Happens a lot in the NFL. But in the NBA, it's pretty rare, unless several teams are competing to sign that player. I think it happened when Alonzo Mourning was cut from Toronto without ever playing or something like that... don't remember exactly, but there have been a few cases. Not more than two or three in the last decade, tho.
Next

Return to NBA Forum