Sloan agrees to contract extension

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:02 am
Sloan agrees to contract extension

SALT LAKE CITY (AP)—Jerry Sloan will return as the coach of the Utah Jazz for the 2009-2010 season.

The Jazz said Sunday that Sloan agreed to a one-year contract extension that will mark his 22nd season at Utah. Details of the contract were not available.

Sloan is the longest tenured coach in NBA history after taking over for former coach Frank Layden on December 9, 1988.

Earlier this season, Sloan became the first NBA coach to win 1,000 games with one team. Since Sloan’s hiring there have been 225 coaching changes in the NBA and every team has made at least two changes except for Utah.

Jerry Sloan is unbelievable to have achieved what he has achieved. The Jazz have shown loyalty, as has Sloan and the success of that franchise since they hired Sloan as head coach has to be given credit. Sloan will be remembered as a coach that was very successful with just one team and the amount of time he has been the coach of one team may never be beaten

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 pm
Good for him, he deserves it. Great coach... a role model for all basketball coaches throughout the NBA, NCAA and beyond.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:22 am
I'm gonna move it to the NBA forum, as this one is more for news about the Dubs (we used it for other NBA related news before, but with the new forum, I don't see the reason to keep doing so).

About Sloan... it's weird, with the success and accolades he's gotten over the years, but I still think he's underrated.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 am
TMC wrote:I'm gonna move it to the NBA forum, as this one is more for news about the Dubs (we used it for other NBA related news before, but with the new forum, I don't see the reason to keep doing so).

About Sloan... it's weird, with the success and accolades he's gotten over the years, but I still think he's underrated.

Maybe it's cause he doesn't have a title... and the fact that his team is in Utah.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 am
can coach. Good on him

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:58 pm
Sloan has been as solid of a coach as you can ask for, I remember him for Stockton and Malone, and Jeff Hornacek been the top teams back in the day, if it was not for Jordon and his Bulls.

It looks like he can go another 20 years coaching, now he has Boozer and Deron Williams. And they should resign Boozer at any cost, as good as Millsap is he is no Boozer.

Also look at this season, to keep your team respectable and in the playoff hunt with a major piece missing from injury majority of the time (Boozer, and also Deron Williams was injured early in the season) *Hint Hint Nelly. Thats just amazing. Sloan very underated.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:20 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Sloan has been as solid of a coach as you can ask for, I remember him for Stockton and Malone, and Jeff Hornacek been the top teams back in the day, if it was not for Jordon and his Bulls.

It looks like he can go another 20 years coaching, now he has Boozer and Deron Williams. And they should resign Boozer at any cost, as good as Millsap is he is no Boozer.

Also look at this season, to keep your team respectable and in the playoff hunt with a major piece missing from injury majority of the time (Boozer, and also Deron Williams was injured early in the season) *Hint Hint Nelly. Thats just amazing. Sloan very underated.

With Boozer and Deron injured for most of this season, they have done unbeleivable to be among the top teams in the West still.

They likely won't keep Boozer as Millsap has been as good as him if not better, as he provides defense as well

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:51 pm
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Sloan has been as solid of a coach as you can ask for, I remember him for Stockton and Malone, and Jeff Hornacek been the top teams back in the day, if it was not for Jordon and his Bulls.

With Boozer and Deron injured for most of this season, they have done unbeleivable to be among the top teams in the West still.

They likely won't keep Boozer as Millsap has been as good as him if not better, as he provides defense as well

You think so, am not sure am sold on Milsap making the as Boozer, dude is an absolute beast, Boozer i think is the most punishing big man out there, this injury is killing him though. Am not sure they can keep both of them i would take Boozer all day and even though he is injury thats how much i think of him. Williams and Boozer can be the next Stockton and Malone up there.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

You think so, am not sure am sold on Milsap making the as Boozer, dude is an absolute beast, Boozer i think is the most punishing big man out there, this injury is killing him though. Am not sure they can keep both of them i would take Boozer all day and even though he is injury thats how much i think of him. Williams and Boozer can be the next Stockton and Malone up there.

Williams would have to get a lot dirtier to be the next Stockton and Boozer a lot healthier to be the next Mail Man.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:14 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

Williams would have to get a lot dirtier to be the next Stockton and Boozer a lot healthier to be the next Mail Man.

Never remembered Stockton being a dirty player more Malone-
All i remember was the short shorts, and his passing was the best in that decade. Now am not saying that Boozer and Williams will be that great, but pretty close. But man Boozer and the injury bug, must suck for the jazz.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:16 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

All i remember was the short shorts, and his passing was the best in that decade. Now am not saying that Boozer and Williams will be that great, but pretty close. But man Boozer and the injury bug, must suck for the jazz.

Stockton wasnt violently dirty, but he just used to get away with a lot....and those shorts were too damn short.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:22 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

Word those shorts mann have we come a long ways thank God. I know if i was wearing those something will be hanging out of place.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

Millsap has dome great and they'll go with him over Boozer, there just isn't any reason to keep Boozer at the money he is on when they have Millsap at much less money and he is a better defender and younger

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:28 pm
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

Millsap has dome great and they'll go with him over Boozer, there just isn't any reason to keep Boozer at the money he is on when they have Millsap at much less money and he is a better defender and younger

Am gonna have to watch Milsap more closely then-but i see what your saying about the money. But ask yourself this question if healthy would the jazz win more games with Boozer or Milsap ?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:

Am gonna have to watch Milsap more closely then-but i see what your saying about the money. But ask yourself this question if healthy would the jazz win more games with Boozer or Milsap ?

Don't know. With the way that team has played the two seasons before this one, one would want to say Boozer, but since he has been injured (almost all season) that team has won almost as much if not as much as they did the last two season anyway and Millsap has been a huge reason for that. Biggest thing is the fact that this season Deron has been injured almost the entire time as well and he has been whats makes them work. It really is incredible what the Jazz have done this season without their two best players, that happen to be top 5 or thereabouts at their positions

Next

Return to NBA Forum