*Random NBA Thoughts That Aren't Worth A Thread Themselves*

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm
xbay wrote:HAH! The Clipper curse continues. Blake Griffin is going to have season ending surgery.

F*ck...

That is all. :banghead:

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:59 am
A couple of quick points:

* Stephen Jackson is averaging 26.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 3.6 apg 2.5 spg and just 2.4 to. So far, he's been the best player in Charlotte's recent surge (yes, even above Gerald Wallace).

Who's the blame for that?. For me, it's quite simple: coaching. Nellie allowed him to do whatever the f*ck he wanted. And, while being a pretty good player, he's not as talented as other big stars and can't lead a team by himself, which led to lots of TOs, lots of ill taken shots (not that he doesn't take a few in each game, but he certainly doesn't do it as often in Charlotte) and lots of awful decisions. Larry Brown has changed all that.

(And, if you're wondering, yeah, this is a velated way to say F*ck Nellie once again).

* Kevin Martin is back. And the Kings are awful once again. Since he came back, they've lost to the Sixers and Wizards, being unable to score more than 86 points in those games. What's more, Casspi, Thompson and Hughes haven't played as well as they were doing with Martin out (probably because there's only one ball, and the Kings have decided that it belongs only to Evans and Martin).

To make matters worse, the Kings record with Martin is... 1-6. I know that 7 games is not a big sample for anything, but it's interesting that they've only been able to win one game with him on the lineup.

God, I hate scorers (who are ONLY scorers, that is).

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:11 am
TMC wrote:A couple of quick points:

* Stephen Jackson is averaging 26.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 3.6 apg 2.5 spg and just 2.4 to. So far, he's been the best player in Charlotte's recent surge (yes, even above Gerald Wallace).

Who's the blame for that?. For me, it's quite simple: coaching. Nellie allowed him to do whatever the f*ck he wanted. And, while being a pretty good player, he's not as talented as other big stars and can't lead a team by himself, which led to lots of TOs, lots of ill taken shots (not that he doesn't take a few in each game, but he certainly doesn't do it as often in Charlotte) and lots of awful decisions. Larry Brown has changed all that.

(And, if you're wondering, yeah, this is a velated way to say F*ck Nellie once again).

SJack is taking 18.2 shots a game since being in Charlotte and that's the most shots his taken a game in his whole career! His also hitting at 41.9FG%, which right on his career average, so his not shooting well!

The Bobcats have started winning, so it's working over there, credit their coach and their players, including SJack, but he is not doing any better than what he was here before this season.

In other words, SJack is still a ballhog and not as good as his numbers show

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:20 am
migya wrote:

SJack is taking 18.2 shots a game since being in Charlotte and that's the most shots his taken a game in his whole career! His also hitting at 41.9FG%, which right on his career average, so his not shooting well!

The Bobcats have started winning, so it's working over there, credit their coach and their players, including SJack, but he is not doing any better than what he was here before this season.

I know. I'm just saying that he's playing much better, particularly reducing his TOs. And that was one of the reasons everybody hated him.

Also, my stats are from the last month only, and he's been shooting .490 FG (405 from 3PT) during those games.

» Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:25 am

* Kevin Martin is back. And the Kings are awful once again. Since he came back, they've lost to the Sixers and Wizards, being unable to score more than 86 points in those games. What's more, Casspi, Thompson and Hughes haven't played as well as they were doing with Martin out (probably because there's only one ball, and the Kings have decided that it belongs only to Evans and Martin).

To make matters worse, the Kings record with Martin is... 1-6. I know that 7 games is not a big sample for anything, but it's interesting that they've only been able to win one game with him on the lineup.

Living in Sacramento, the kings own this city when it comes to sports as this is all they have here. Since his rookie season, I have publically declared the NBA player that i despised the most was Kevin Martin. With that said, Kings fans (notably my friends) are FINALLY listening to me (the warriors fan) in regards to Kevin Martin.

Kevin Martin can not lead a team or even play second fiddle to a good team. He is too inept as a defender, and such a poor passer to be a quality "star". Sure, he is a phenominal shooter and gets to the line all the time with his flops or body throws to his defenders. Thats about it.

Yet, he's back, and given the keys to the team and right away the kings look awful. He is no leader. He cannot motivate his teammates, as he has no advise for them. Or, he doesn't care for them. He is too selfish, and egocentric to care about the team, and just cares about himself. That's why Evans was so fresh for this team. A player that can create his own shot AND make the players around him better. That's what good leaders do. Martin does not do this.

They need to trade Martin ASAP, because although i am no kings fan, I am sick and tired of seeing his stupid grin all over my TV/newspaper. If I were the Kings, I would think about trading Martin with Thompson or Hawes for Amare or Bosh. The kings would be dominant for several years.

All Star
» Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:58 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Living in Sacramento, the kings own this city when it comes to sports as this is all they have here. Since his rookie season, I have publically declared the NBA player that i despised the most was Kevin Martin. With that said, Kings fans (notably my friends) are FINALLY listening to me (the warriors fan) in regards to Kevin Martin.

Kevin Martin can not lead a team or even play second fiddle to a good team. He is too inept as a defender, and such a poor passer to be a quality "star". Sure, he is a phenominal shooter and gets to the line all the time with his flops or body throws to his defenders. Thats about it.

Yet, he's back, and given the keys to the team and right away the kings look awful. He is no leader. He cannot motivate his teammates, as he has no advise for them. Or, he doesn't care for them. He is too selfish, and egocentric to care about the team, and just cares about himself. That's why Evans was so fresh for this team. A player that can create his own shot AND make the players around him better. That's what good leaders do. Martin does not do this.

They need to trade Martin ASAP, because although i am no kings fan, I am sick and tired of seeing his stupid grin all over my TV/newspaper. If I were the Kings, I would think about trading Martin with Thompson or Hawes for Amare or Bosh. The kings would be dominant for several years.

As a fantasy basketball player Kevin Martin is awesome. I've had him on my fantasy team every year I've played, and that team has never missed the playoffs. Which is why it pains me to hear your negative comments of him. However, I have long held the suppressed belief that Martin is of the same ilk as our own Corey Maggette, whom I would like to never have to watch play basketball. The two differences between them being Martin has a proven outside shot; and I don't have to watch Martin for 82 games a year.

Question:
Crackerz, can you explain why Martin never seems to score in 4th quarter? He'll go into the 4th with 23 points and then end the game with 25. It's frustrating when doing some stat watching.

Franchise Player
» Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 pm
migya wrote:

Well, for one, he's got Larry Brown as a coach. Go figure. Next, Jack is probably their best source of offensive power. They have a pretty decent line up of Chandler, Diaw, Wallace, Jackson, and Felton. And mix that in with Larry Brown, and they're poised to have a pretty good season.

Franchise Player
» Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:20 pm
Allen takes issue with fans' voting role

Celtics guard Ray Allen thinks it's time to limit fans' influence in All-Star voting with Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady, despite having little to no impact this season, both headed into the final hours of voting in position to start.

Unwanted by their teams, Iverson and McGrady are still adored by their fans, who still consider them stars even though their stats say otherwise.

The Memphis Grizzlies quickly parted ways with Iverson. The Houston Rockets are trying to trade McGrady.

Maybe the players can swap stories of their rocky roads while covering each other at the All-Star Game.

"I like the fact that the fans get the opportunity to vote and pick who they'd like to see in the All-Star Game, but I don't think it should be 100 percent," Allen said this week.

The nine-time All-Star said the fan voting has made the game "watered down" and called for a change in the process.

Allen said fans should have 50 percent of the vote, with the other 50 percent being divided evenly between the media and the players. He said players know who is playing the best, and believes with his idea, "you'd look at five guys starting the All-Star team regardless of hype or highlight."

The NBA likes things the way they are.

"We look at it as a great way to engage the fans," NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre said. "We think it's a good system."

The NBA went to fan voting for the starters in the mid-70s and this season made it even more available to its fans by allowing them to vote by text messaging.

Paper balloting has already closed, but votes can be cast until 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday night on nba.com or by texting a player's last name to 6-9-6-2-2 (MYNBA). Starters will be announced Thursday night.

McGrady has a good chance of being passed, as his lead over Steve Nash for the second guard spot in the Western Conference was only 2,375 votes when the most recent update was released on Jan. 7.

He hasn't been able to strengthen his case since then, since he'd already been granted a leave from the Rockets while they try to find a trade.

He's played sparingly in only six games this season since coming back from knee surgery, and Allen thinks commissioner David Stern should consider a rule mandating a player appear in a minimum number of games to be eligible.

"Tracy, if he played, I'm sure he'd play well enough to be an All-Star player because he's done that his career," Allen said. "But again, that's taking away from another player in the Western Conference that's having a great year, that's been playing, that deserves to be in there."

Iverson had a better shot of holding on to his No. 2 spot in the East, leading Vince Carter by more than 185,000 votes. He's listed with West players on the paper ballot after starting the season in Memphis, but his votes count in the East since he signed with the Philadelphia 76ers.

He hasn't played at an All-Star level this season, but fans may be looking at what he's done in the past.

"A lot of times voting reflects career achievement as well as yearly achievements," McIntyre said.

Allen also mentioned getting the coaches, who pick the reserves, involved in selecting the starters. Even that may not guarantee the most deserving 10 players, since coaches could have their own opinions about who belongs in the All-Star game.

During Shaquille O'Neal's unproductive, injury-plagued final season in Miami in 2008, former Knicks coach Isiah Thomas said he planned to vote him as a reserve anyway, recalling when he played that respected older players such as Julius Erving still made All-Star teams late in their careers.

That's why Charlotte coach Larry Brown supports Iverson's election.

"I've seen Willie Mays and those older guys start based on what they've done in their career in baseball and we've had that happen in basketball for years, guys that have made a contribution," Brown said. "That's why the fans are involved and I think it's kind of neat that they are involved. They support the league, they vote for their favorite players. I always look at a guy's body of work."

That's fine for some, but it means worthy players are going to be left out. Unlike baseball, which mandates every team be represented in its All-Star Game, the NBA has only 12 spots per conference to fill.

"You figure if there's 24 players that get named to the All-Star team, there's always 30 that deserve it, and you figure that's six that should be on the All-Star team," Allen said.

Toronto forward Chris Bosh had little chance of starting the game in his hometown of Dallas, sitting well behind LeBron James and Kevin Garnett despite a terrific first half. Yet he doesn't want to change the voting format.

"It's all about the fans," he said. "It's all about who they want to see because they generate the dollars, they're going to watch the game, so they're going to vote for their favorite players and that's probably how it should be."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

All I can say is PREACH Jesus Shuttlesworth!

» Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:40 pm
fine wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

As a fantasy basketball player Kevin Martin is awesome. I've had him on my fantasy team every year I've played, and that team has never missed the playoffs. Which is why it pains me to hear your negative comments of him. However, I have long held the suppressed belief that Martin is of the same ilk as our own Corey Maggette, whom I would like to never have to watch play basketball. The two differences between them being Martin has a proven outside shot; and I don't have to watch Martin for 82 games a year.

Question:
Crackerz, can you explain why Martin never seems to score in 4th quarter? He'll go into the 4th with 23 points and then end the game with 25. It's frustrating when doing some stat watching.

there prolly numerous reasons. Here my theories: One, if the kings are losing badly, they will take him out because there is no point on risking a fragile player. Second, i think he doesn't care about winning. If he has his points, I think he is satisfy and will call it a day. Like I said earlier, he is all about himself and nothing about the team. Third is he might be defended better, and for him its prolly not worth the effort to counter it. The kings played better when he wasn't there. They should seriously contemplate trading him. it will be worth it.

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:39 pm

I agree 100%,
But it should be said, Jackson's efficiency IS getting better, and the Bobcats are putting together a good string of victories. I see in this drubbing of Phoenix last night Alvin Gentry said "Jackson " is a heck of a player".
Jackson was undoubtedly the best player in that 4 man trade. But I don't care I wanted him to go.

"I just love the guy" Nelson speaking of Jackson.
But Nelly did allow him to do whatever he wanted.That was a huge mistake brought on by the failure to resign Baron. Some would argue that that isn't Nelly's fault, and Nelly was forced to make Sjax captain. But he could still have made him Captain and disciplined him.

There is also the failure to make the trade for Stoudemire. If they could have gotten Stoudemire to play 2 years, this year and waive his player option for the last year on his contract. I would have been in favor of the trade, even though we wouldn't have Curry now. I tend to think with Amare, Monta and Maggette, Jackson probably would have curbed his ballhoggish tendencies.
I'm sure this season, we would probably be in the race, even if we didn't have Az, Turiaf, ( though missing Turiaf and no longer having Biedrins would have stretched our front court situation,) Randolph certainly would have gotten more minutes. But having said that, I don't miss Jackson that much. And I see a possibilty of Curry being in the top 25% of the NBA PG's in a couple of years. Still it would have been nice to have more to cheer about now, than spending another year talking about our young prospects and speculating about what our missing piece is.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:47 pm
War Years wrote:

I agree 100%,
But it should be said, Jackson's efficiency IS getting better, and the Bobcats are putting together a good string of victories. I see in this drubbing of Phoenix last night Alvin Gentry said "Jackson " is a heck of a player".
Jackson was undoubtedly the best player in that 4 man trade. But I don't care I wanted him to go.

I wanted him gone as well and will never go back on that, that move had to happen and for expirers, it was a good move, very good move.

SJack is just being allowed to shoot the ball alot, plain and simple. It is not much different than it was here, just that it is working or at least has been working for a few games now. If the Bobcats start losing again, people will start saying how SJack shoots too much and how Larry Brown really hasn't reined him in much at all. SJack is a good player and has abilities, but he has to be next to a very good PG and very good bigman I think. That way he doesn't have to handle the ball and be the distributor too much and is free to do what he is best at, which is score the ball and create a fair bit while not being the focus of the opposition defense.

The Bobcats still have a pretty bad roster and if Chandler continues to play like he has this season so far, that team MUST get another Center, one that is at least as good as Okafor performed, because right now they aren't even getting good rebounding and defense out of Chandler and it is pretty surprising. Diaw also has really dropped since SJack arrived there. I don't think the Bobcats will keep this winning going and expect them to be in the bottom six or seven teams at season's end. I like what could be done with them, but they should really use Diaw and Chandler in a trade package for a very good big, like Boozer

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:32 am
migya wrote:SJack is a good player and has abilities, but he has to be next to a very good PG and very good bigman I think. That way he doesn't have to handle the ball and be the distributor too much and is free to do what he is best at, which is score the ball and create a fair bit while not being the focus of the opposition defense.

Oh, of course, but that's exactly what we were saying when he was a Dub (and blaming Nelson for not doing). Now that he's not the sole focus of his team (Gerald Wallace and Felton are playing well and getting a lot of attention from opposing Ds), he's doing much better. Add to that that they're a much better defensive team than we are (not really hard to do) and it's not surprising to see their recent winning streak.

Franchise Player
» Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 am
Wow........another one of my threads has been stickied!!!

My love for this board is now taking physical/sticky form all over it! :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:29 am
bigstrads wrote:Wow........another one of my threads has been stickied!!!

My love for this board is now taking physical/sticky form all over it! :mrgreen:

Eh... no more details, please. It could get quite... disturbing. :mrgreen:

Franchise Player
» Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 pm
*Ehem* Thank you, xbay.

Nah, jk no thanks. I felt like this thread should be stickied since it is the currently the nucleus of this part of the forum.