Durant doesn't believe he should be an all-star

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:21 pm
—Despite the fact he's sixth in the league in scoring, Kevin Durant doesn't believe he should be an All-Star. He pointed to the Thunder's league-worst record as being the chief reason.

"One of the requirements is that the team's got to win," he said. "That's a big part of being an All-Star, leading your team to victories. Hopefully, before I'm done in this league I can be one of those, but right now, I'm just trying to help this team turn it around and get better."

So don't bring up Durant being among the NBA's top 10 scorers as All-Star worthy.

"I definitely would trade it for being 30-4 right now," Durant said. "But it feels good to come in and get better as the year goes on, get better as the summer went on and try to show it in this league."

—The Thunder had three days off going into Tuesday's game against New York. The break allowed for a day of rest Saturday and a hard practice Monday.

"It was an opportunity to go over some late-game situations and an opportunity to really drill some of our defensive schemes and get better at those," guard Desmond Mason said. "When the season starts, you don't have a lot of practice time, so when you have a stretch like this you definitely want to make sure you take advantage of it."

Oklahoma City did just that and beat the Knicks.

Gotta appreciate Durant putting his team first before himself. This kid is going to be amazing someday(even though he already is), but much props for what he said.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:00 am
Maybe it's just Durant trying to make himself the humble pie everyone loves to hear from a young star or maybe he means it. He is real good already but his team is awful, youthful and with some potential, but awful right now. They need a real good Center and that could make them better than a 50% team right off the bat

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:38 am
Durant doesn't believe he should be an all-star. Neither do I. Great stats on a crappy team don't mean much.

He's gonna be an all star someday... just not this year.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:21 pm
Way to humble yourself Durant. Nice to see him acknowledge he is undeserving of being an all-star. His team is missing a legit center, and solid bench, i think he is ways away from being a winner, but will continue to put up great numbers.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:26 pm
already a great player, and seems like a really good kid. And spot on TMC, one day

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 am
i dont believe he should be either. he's good, but he's not an allstar...not this year. maybe next year.

i hope goose makes the team. at least reserve. with our record itll be difficult, but i really hope he makes it. hell i even hope millsap makes it for the simple sake of justice.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:36 am
E-Man wrote:i dont believe he should be either. he's good, but he's not an allstar...not this year. maybe next year.

i hope goose makes the team. at least reserve. with our record itll be difficult, but i really hope he makes it. hell i even hope millsap makes it for the simple sake of justice.

Adding Nenad Krstic was a great addition to the team. He's not a dominating center, but he puts up good stats and provides a strong presence down low. If they can add a more legit PG and add some depth off the bench, they could be a force in a couple years. Krstic, Wilcox, Durant, Green, PG w/ a bench? Nice line up.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:57 am
xbay wrote:
E-Man wrote:i dont believe he should be either. he's good, but he's not an allstar...not this year. maybe next year.

Adding Nenad Krstic was a great addition to the team. He's not a dominating center, but he puts up good stats and provides a strong presence down low. If they can add a more legit PG and add some depth off the bench, they could be a force in a couple years. Krstic, Wilcox, Durant, Green, PG w/ a bench? Nice line up.

I think they may be alright with their current PGs, as they seem to be passers, more so Watson than Westbrook but both seem to be passers. They need new bigs, as Wilcox and Collison seem to have thrown in the towel this season. They were promising before as solid players, more to come off the bench but they were solid, but this season they have been nothing. They are very young and need two veterans that have won before to give them that winning attitude. That experience means all the difference and young teams never win like the older experienced ones

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:16 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:

I think they may be alright with their current PGs, as they seem to be passers, more so Watson than Westbrook but both seem to be passers. They need new bigs, as Wilcox and Collison seem to have thrown in the towel this season. They were promising before as solid players, more to come off the bench but they were solid, but this season they have been nothing. They are very young and need two veterans that have won before to give them that winning attitude. That experience means all the difference and young teams never win like the older experienced ones

That's true. I'd trade Wilcox away for a true vet at PF. If they really believe in Westbrook, though, I'd trade away Green for someone good.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 pm
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:

That's true. I'd trade Wilcox away for a true vet at PF. If they really believe in Westbrook, though, I'd trade away Green for someone good.

Do you mean Jeff Green? He's a keeper I think. I see Durant better at SF than SG but he seems like he can handle SG well. They need big, simple as that and they have to get a little lucky in attracting one. Throwing a fair amount of money at one or looking to trade for one that wants out of his team would be the way to go. Boozer would fit in there real well and maybe Wilcox and Collison for him would be good enough for Utah

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:

Do you mean Jeff Green? He's a keeper I think. I see Durant better at SF than SG but he seems like he can handle SG well. They need big, simple as that and they have to get a little lucky in attracting one. Throwing a fair amount of money at one or looking to trade for one that wants out of his team would be the way to go. Boozer would fit in there real well and maybe Wilcox and Collison for him would be good enough for Utah

Yeah, I meant him. I think he's very expendable. I think the Thunder can afford both him and Durant when their contracts are up, respectively, but at the same time, I think he has a lot of great trade value. It'd be interesting if Blake Griffin came out and Oklahoma took him with the first pick. They'd still be very young, so I would imagine someone being traded.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:19 pm
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:

Yeah, I meant him. I think he's very expendable. I think the Thunder can afford both him and Durant when their contracts are up, respectively, but at the same time, I think he has a lot of great trade value. It'd be interesting if Blake Griffin came out and Oklahoma took him with the first pick. They'd still be very young, so I would imagine someone being traded.

If they got Griffin, they definately would have to trade Wilcox, maybe even Collison. Be interesting if they would use Griffin as PF or C, as he is a bit light in weight to be Center. Either way, they need two veteran players that have been part of some winning teams and they could improve alot quickly

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:08 am
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:

There is no way that Green is expendable. That young nucleus of Durant, Green and Westbrook is amazing. Have you seen what they've done in their last 8 or so games. Competitive losses and 4 wins. Not bad for a rookie squad. Unlike the Warriors and Nelson's incompetency, OKC recognizes that the future is where things are at, so they've allowed these kids to play and develop (mainly talking about Westbrook here, since the other two were guaranteed PT). And look at how it's paid off!

Someone said they need a more legit PG -- I absolutely disagree. Westbrook might not universally redefine the PG position, but what he's doing out there is something unlike that we've ever seen. He's rebounding like a PF out there, especially on the offensive end. This is not only a huge mismatch problem for opponents PG's (especially since opponents cant move their PG to cover the 2, because Mason is so tall and built), but it's also wearing them out as the game progresses. This, going along with the kids' stellar D, and he's already giving other PG's fits; and will continue to do so. If he could develop a jumper, watch out!

Officially on the bandwagon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:06 pm
Pg is not the Thunder's most needed position, Westbrook will do the job, not the typical passing point guard but he is a solid player, that can get the job done. Super athletic at 6'3, looks like the point guards are just getting bigger and faster, and Westbrook will be there to match up against the Rose's, the Deron Williams because he has superb defense.

The team is so young though, super young, but look at Hornets, and Cavs, young team with young players carrying them.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:18 pm
rizon wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:

There is no way that Green is expendable. That young nucleus of Durant, Green and Westbrook is amazing. Have you seen what they've done in their last 8 or so games. Competitive losses and 4 wins. Not bad for a rookie squad. Unlike the Warriors and Nelson's incompetency, OKC recognizes that the future is where things are at, so they've allowed these kids to play and develop (mainly talking about Westbrook here, since the other two were guaranteed PT). And look at how it's paid off!

Someone said they need a more legit PG -- I absolutely disagree. Westbrook might not universally redefine the PG position, but what he's doing out there is something unlike that we've ever seen. He's rebounding like a PF out there, especially on the offensive end. This is not only a huge mismatch problem for opponents PG's (especially since opponents cant move their PG to cover the 2, because Mason is so tall and built), but it's also wearing them out as the game progresses. This, going along with the kids' stellar D, and he's already giving other PG's fits; and will continue to do so. If he could develop a jumper, watch out!

Officially on the bandwagon.

Nope, I haven't. I wish, I really like Durant and Green. Hence, one reason why both are on my fantasy teams. They could use a good coach while they're at it as well.
Next

Return to NBA Forum