The LeBron Crab Walk

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:39 am
LeBron Being called for traveling against the wiz yesterday... a couple years too late, if u remember the playoff series in 2006 against these teams... but anyways, the reason why im sharing this is the ESPn commentary on this. I'm paraphrasing, and will edit immediately when the actual quotes/clips are available:

Stuart Scott (host of that NBA show on ESPN): "LeBron James was called for traveling. Every knows your only allowed like 7 and a half steps in the NBA."

Robert Flores (anchor in the mornings): "Lebron seen here taking too many steps. Your typically allowed 2 and a half in the NBA, but 4 or 5 depending on how much of a star you are" (so much for objectivity Mr. Flores)

HERE THE CLIPS FROM LAST NIGHT'S TRAVEL AND THE PLAYOFF SERIES NO TRAVEL, BOTH AGAINST THE WIZARDS.

YESTERDAY (start at the 1:55 mark)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC-sqY2HAQM[/youtube]

Remember this playoff game a couple years back.... 4 or 5 steps, yet no travel called.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbM6uuCt74[/youtube]
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:58 am
Well...............the first one, I couldnt see anything (in a visual sense, not that I thought it wasnt a travel) at all so cant really comment.

The second one..............meh, it was a jump step then a step through, which all happend very quickly.

For me, it IS the superstar factor that causes these "no-calls"............but not because they are being favoured heavily (although that is the case aswell to some degree) its more to do with how these kind of players can make the un-believable look believable.

How many times have we seen Wade and LeBron do stuff that looks like its against the rules............how about Shaq?............lets not even start on M.J.

I do agree that these things are missed some times but I think alot of that is because these types of superstars are so hard to officiate.............I mean they cant watch anyone more than anyone else, so when a guy like LeBron can do the things he does, it can sometimes be missed in the bamboozle of the fact he just did something that isnt usually seen.
Ohh I dont know, Im on the fence..............I think that preferential treatment does exist of course............but the players that receive it are such enigmas that you can kind of understand it being missed.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:27 pm
bigstrads wrote:Ohh I dont know, Im on the fence..............I think that preferential treatment does exist of course............but the players that receive it are such enigmas that you can kind of understand it being missed.

Enigmas?. I'd say it's fairly easy to know who they are. Lebron, Wade, Kobe... those are the big three. AI and Vince Carter had them for a while, but with their lesser role, those calls have also decreased (dramatically, in Carter's case). Inside players get a lot less, but also happens too often (I don't totally agree with Shaq being benefitted. He's been fouled a lot more than the number of calls he gets).

To me, star-calls are the biggest problem the NBA has. Yet nobody seems to care about it except for a few hardcore fans.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:17 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Ohh I dont know, Im on the fence..............I think that preferential treatment does exist of course............but the players that receive it are such enigmas that you can kind of understand it being missed.

Enigmas?. I'd say it's fairly easy to know who they are. Lebron, Wade, Kobe... those are the big three. AI and Vince Carter had them for a while, but with their lesser role, those calls have also decreased (dramatically, in Carter's case). Inside players get a lot less, but also happens too often (I don't totally agree with Shaq being benefitted. He's been fouled a lot more than the number of calls he gets).

To me, star-calls are the biggest problem the NBA has. Yet nobody seems to care about it except for a few hardcore fans.

Well, "enigma" to me is one who is not understood fully, or able to be understood............or viewed correctly in this example.

Of course they are all looked at and known as these special players...........but I think they are THAT special, that sometimes officials just dont know what to make of the things they do on the floor, and hence are perplexed by it...........hence they are "enigmas"............hence things get missed or not interpreted correctly.

Just a thought/theory, instead of the boring old "The NBA sucks and favours its most marketable players"............which of course is true but I just wanted to put a counter/additional theory out there. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:29 pm
bigstrads wrote:Just a thought/theory, instead of the boring old "The NBA sucks and favours its most marketable players"............which of course is true but I just wanted to put a counter/additional theory out there. :wink:

Well, it was a nice try, but didn't work. The NBA officiating sucks and favours its most marketable players. :wink:

Nah, really. I get your point, but only partially. I mean, there are times in which a play happens so fast and with so many players in between the ref and the play that they can get confused and not really know what happened.

But there are also times in which Lebron (who does it more than anybody else) takes 5 steps and there's no travelling call anywhere. It happens a lot more than it should.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:46 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Just a thought/theory, instead of the boring old "The NBA sucks and favours its most marketable players"............which of course is true but I just wanted to put a counter/additional theory out there. :wink:

Well, it was a nice try, but didn't work. The NBA officiating sucks and favours its most marketable players. :wink:

Nah, really. I get your point, but only partially. I mean, there are times in which a play happens so fast and with so many players in between the ref and the play that they can get confused and not really know what happened.

But there are also times in which Lebron (who does it more than anybody else) takes 5 steps and there's no travelling call anywhere. It happens a lot more than it should.

I agree, which is why I said I was on the fence between my strange little theory and the 99% probable reality of the stars being favoured.

Ive seen ALOT of stuff on Wade and the phantom fouls he collects game after game.

I just watch these guys and see how easy they make it look, and the fact that they can and do things that no-one else in the league can...........which is mesmerising of course, hence tough to officiate.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:06 pm
been a few lakers games on here recently and it's amazing with Kobe. Against the Jazz, he'd drive, scream *whistle* foul, all while Deron Williams is getting clobbered on each play down the other end

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:25 pm
nba where travelling happens
seriously, there's so much travelling going ignored as i never seen anywhere else, maybe in the backyard.
every pg (or the ones bringing the ball up) in nba firstly takes 1-2 or even 3 steps and only then starts releasing the ball for a dribble, it looks like voleyball. the same usually happens when going one on one, theres 1,5 steps before dribble...
i don't know if it's good or makes game nicer (more explosive) to watch, but it's simply against the rules. change the rules if you don't follow them
i still remember a game where or own s-jax took like 3,5 steps before making a bucket. oh, man, it was ugly. every game one watches one can see up to five or more travels uncalled.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:30 am
I'm seriously getting fed up with all the ticky-tac ***** fouls being called. I mean come on, it's an athletic event, not a whining and flailing competition. The refs will call a foul if there's any contact other than brushing up against a player. And the players continue to whine if they don't get their precious call. Meanwhile, travelling is so overlooked, especially with guys like Lebron etc. But it's the fouls that get me pissed.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:43 am
bigstrads wrote:Well...............the first one, I couldnt see anything (in a visual sense, not that I thought it wasnt a travel) at all so cant really comment.

The second one..............meh, it was a jump step then a step through, which all happend very quickly.

the first one you can see 3 steps...its just really fast so its not as noticeable.

the second one though, they play it 3 or 4 times...watch when he picks up the ball with 2 hands. he steps into a jump stop (which would be fine to define a pivot, but he doesnt) then he proceeds to take TWO MORE steps.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Return to NBA Forum