Yi Jianlian May Not Be As Young As He Declared He Is

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:31 am
Hey fellas,

I saw a couple of people talking about this on here the other day, questioning his age...........but I cant remember where and who it was.

Anyway, thought this was kind of funny/interesting, what will they do if he is older than he stated? fine?

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/new ... AHeadlines

NBA player Yi Jianlian is being investigated by a Chinese-language magazine which claims he is one of many of the country's athletes guilty of lying about their age on official documents.

Yi, who plays for the New Jersey Nets, has long been reported in the Chinese media to be older than his records show. Earlier this month, China's Sports Ministry reported that it found 36 players in China's professional basketball league whose dates of birth may have been changed.

The December issue of the Chinese-language edition of Sports Illustrated said a reporter for the magazine found records from Yi's middle-school registration in his hometown in southern China that said he was born in 1984.

His official basketball records say he was born in 1987. He is also listed by the Nets as being born Oct. 27, 1987.

A spokesman for the Chinese Basketball Association could not be reached Monday for comment.

Yi could be quizzed again about his age on Monday night when the Nets face the Houston Rockets and fellow Chinese star center Yao Ming in New Jersey.

Players' ages are sometimes altered to show them as being younger, mainly to qualify for youth tournaments. Those false ages stay with athletes and can result in embarrassment and sanctions when they move on to greater success.

The opposite practice was alleged in the controversy surrounding China's gold medal-winning women's gymnastics team at the Beijing Olympics, where China entered athletes suspected of being below the minimum age of 16.

The international gymnastics federation eventually cleared the Chinese gymnasts of amending birth records to make athletes appear older than they were. However, it continues to investigate the ages of Chinese gymnasts who competed in the Sydney 2000 Olympics.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:37 am
Happens to most non-american or european athletes. They may have the age they say, but there's not certain way to be sure about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dikember Mutombo still says he's 16... :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:46 am
TMC wrote:Happens to most non-american or european athletes. They may have the age they say, but there's not certain way to be sure about it.

Id understand if it was lying about being OLDER, so they could declare for the draft and earn money and get to big stage at a younger age.

But to do it so they can enter youth tournaments at a older age than allowed (which is what the article hints may have happend), is just a little pathetic...........I mean what, you want to play against kids younger than you, so you can dominate them and look better?...........suppose it acomplishes the same thing as far as exposure and getting drafted, cuz they look better..........but still, its a little sad.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 am
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:Happens to most non-american or european athletes. They may have the age they say, but there's not certain way to be sure about it.

Id understand if it was lying about being OLDER, so they could declare for the draft and earn money and get to big stage at a younger age.

But to do it so they can enter youth tournaments at a older age than allowed (which is what the article hints may have happend), is just a little pathetic...........I mean what, you want to play against kids younger than you, so you can dominate them and look better?...........suppose it acomplishes the same thing as far as exposure and getting drafted, cuz they look better..........but still, its a little sad.

Well, claiming to be younger than he really is can help his draft position... you know, all the correlation between age and potential.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:49 am
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

Well, claiming to be younger than he really is can help his draft position... you know, all the correlation between age and potential.

Yeah..........but when he starts deteriorating like a 30 year old (basketball wise of course :wink:), at the age of "26"..........that isnt going to hold his stock up much.

Plus, if he is actually 24 right now, he should be much further along, development and physically wise..............Im sure his team wont be happy if they find out that the full of potential 20 year old, they acquired, is actually a 24 year old who is more than likely fully developed.

Short term gain, short term career. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:19 pm
bigstrads wrote:Plus, if he is actually 24 right now, he should be much further along, development and physically wise..............Im sure his team wont be happy if they find out that the full of potential 20 year old, they acquired, is actually a 24 year old who is more than likely fully developed.

The Nets have already said that they have proof that he's 21, so it seems like a bogus report.

I was just commenting on a general way, because I'm sure it won't be the last time we hear about it.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:48 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Plus, if he is actually 24 right now, he should be much further along, development and physically wise..............Im sure his team wont be happy if they find out that the full of potential 20 year old, they acquired, is actually a 24 year old who is more than likely fully developed.

The Nets have already said that they have proof that he's 21, so it seems like a bogus report.

I was just commenting on a general way, because I'm sure it won't be the last time we hear about it.

Yeah, I just thought it was interesting.............well, more what the consequences might be. :?:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:17 pm
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

Yeah, I just thought it was interesting.............well, more what the consequences might be. :?:

Consequences?. None. That's the only thing I'm sure about.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:19 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

Meh, Im not interested anymore then. :wink:
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:27 am
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
TMC wrote:

Meh, Im not interested anymore then. :wink:

well, not that i know for sure or anything... but im pretty sure if the nets found out that his real age was 24, than they'd try to negate his contract... really similar to what rowell was trying to do to monta with the moped accident...(rumored? can't confirm)

cuz seriously... if dude is really 24... he sucks... the only person i can think of that peaked late is chauncey
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:40 am
i'd doubt they'd try to void the contract. chinese players are cash cows.

Return to NBA Forum