So Long... Fairwell.. Darius Miles

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:49 am
LMAO!!!

The Blazers tried to sign Miles before the Grizz took him back!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Obviously so they could NOT play him the 2 games they are worried about..............but the league blocked it because it was obvious.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Man, I cant wait until the Grizz play him the 2 games and Portland gets salary cap screwed. :wink:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:38 pm
Haha wow... talking about being "sly as a fox."
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:14 pm
bigstrads wrote:LMAO!!!

The Blazers tried to sign Miles before the Grizz took him back!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Obviously so they could NOT play him the 2 games they are worried about..............but the league blocked it because it was obvious.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Man, I cant wait until the Grizz play him the 2 games and Portland gets salary cap screwed. :wink:

haha... the NBA is finally fun again :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:46 am
:mrgreen: One more to go!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.nba.com/games/20090113/CLEMEM/boxscore.html

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:40 am
bigstrads wrote::mrgreen: One more to go!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.nba.com/games/20090113/CLEMEM/boxscore.html

Hey not bad. 13 mins and a few points. Didnt expect that. Waiting for the next game when the sh!t hits the fan.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:05 am
hopefully the grizzlies play the blazers real soon... that would be the cherry on the sundae
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:hopefully the grizzlies play the blazers real soon... that would be the cherry on the sundae

The Blazers might talk to Pac-Man Jones about hiring somebody to take Miles out. Crazy how a guy that has not stepped on the floor for a particular team for a couple of years can have such an impact on the future of the franchise.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:06 pm
what gets lost in all of this is that Miles actually made the comeback. Dude was still getting his 18 mil if he came back or not. Somehow, he still had the motivation to play. AND we haven't heard a peep from him during this whole situation. take that starbury! =;
:cheers:
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:56 am
Well, its done.............Portland, say hello to a nice 18 million added to your salary total, and hence............the luxury tax! :mrgreen:

http://www.nba.com/games/20090116/UTAMEM/boxscore.html
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:14 am
bigstrads wrote:Well, its done.............Portland, say hello to a nice 18 million added to your salary total, and hence............the luxury tax! :mrgreen:

I wouldn't pay a single buck to the league. Actually, if I were Portland, instead of all that fuss about emailing other teams to not sign Miles and sh*t like that, I'd sue the league.

Players forced to retire due to an injury have to be reviewed by a league physician, somebody that doesn't belong to the franchise that applies for the exception. That league physician told the Blazers that they could apply for that exception because Miles wouldn't be able to resume his career.

Now that he's done so, the Blazers should go against the league. The CBA is clear in that the salary is back on their books, but that doesn't make it fair. There's a chance that, if they sue the NBA, they can get back the luxury tax money they'll have to pay.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:21 am
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Well, its done.............Portland, say hello to a nice 18 million added to your salary total, and hence............the luxury tax! :mrgreen:

I wouldn't pay a single buck to the league. Actually, if I were Portland, instead of all that fuss about emailing other teams to not sign Miles and sh*t like that, I'd sue the league.

Players forced to retire due to an injury have to be reviewed by a league physician, somebody that doesn't belong to the franchise that applies for the exception. That league physician told the Blazers that they could apply for that exception because Miles wouldn't be able to resume his career.

Now that he's done so, the Blazers should go against the league. The CBA is clear in that the salary is back on their books, but that doesn't make it fair. There's a chance that, if they sue the NBA, they can get back the luxury tax money they'll have to pay.

Interesting.

However, the releasing of a player under the "Career Ending Injury" clause does state that IF the player is able to resume his career at ANY stage in the future, play 10 games or more, his salary shall be returned to the team that released him.

So, they would have known, signed on and admitted to that condition...........so I dont think they would have a leg to stand on (do you really think Stern, the lawyer he is/was, would allow such a loop hole)

Plus, why would they bother pissing off all the GM's in the league with that email, when they could just sue or claim it back?.............they went to that begging email method, because they knew they were screwed.

One more thing, the luxury tax money goes to charity.........so I doubt the Blazers would want to sue the NBA for charitable donations! :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:46 am
TMC wrote:

That's exactly right, the nba is responsible for this and it should rest on them

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:51 am
bigstrads wrote:However, the releasing of a player under the "Career Ending Injury" clause does state that IF the player is able to resume his career at ANY stage in the future, play 10 games or more, his salary shall be returned to the team that released him.

So, they would have known, signed on and admitted to that condition...........so I dont think they would have a leg to stand on (do you really think Stern, the lawyer he is/was, would allow such a loop hole)

There's no loop hole. The CBA is clear in that regard. The money does count agains as if the player had never retired.

I'd sue on the grounds of it being unfair, as it puts the punishment only on the team when the league also should have a responsibility. In other words, I'd sue to render that clause of the CBA null.

I doubt they'd get anything at this point, but there's room for debate, at least.

bigstrads wrote:One more thing, the luxury tax money goes to charity.........so I doubt the Blazers would want to sue the NBA for charitable donations! :wink:

Well, I'm sure the Blazers would rather donate that money themselves and have their cap room back.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:59 am
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:However, the releasing of a player under the "Career Ending Injury" clause does state that IF the player is able to resume his career at ANY stage in the future, play 10 games or more, his salary shall be returned to the team that released him.

There's no loop hole. The CBA is clear in that regard. The money does count agains as if the player had never retired.

I'd sue on the grounds of it being unfair, as it puts the punishment only on the team when the league also should have a responsibility. In other words, I'd sue to render that clause of the CBA null.

I doubt they'd get anything at this point, but there's room for debate, at least.

bigstrads wrote:One more thing, the luxury tax money goes to charity.........so I doubt the Blazers would want to sue the NBA for charitable donations! :wink:

Well, I'm sure the Blazers would rather donate that money themselves and have their cap room back.

Ohh I agree, thats why I said it was interesting.

I just imagine that Stern wouldnt allow that rule, which isnt the "Retired player" rule, its the "Career Ending Injury" rule, to not have some kind of disclaimer that states something like the following =

"If an NBA doctor deems that the injury is career ending, then said team will have the right to waive the player and not have his salary count against them.

If said player manages to return to basketball at a future date, then the NBA, nor its doctors, accept no liability on the part of the original decision being proven wrong"

Ergo, you chose to claim your right to not stick with the guy, we assessed him and helped you out by allowing you use this rule..............but it doesnt work both ways.

Again, Portlands desperation kinda shows that they wont have the sue option.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:24 am
bigstrads wrote:I just imagine that Stern wouldnt allow that rule, which isnt the "Retired player" rule, its the "Career Ending Injury" rule, to not have some kind of disclaimer that states something like the following =

"If an NBA doctor deems that the injury is career ending, then said team will have the right to waive the player and not have his salary count against them.

If said player manages to return to basketball at a future date, then the NBA, nor its doctors, accept no liability on the part of the original decision being proven wrong"

Ergo, you chose to claim your right to not stick with the guy, we assessed him and helped you out by allowing you use this rule..............but it doesnt work both ways.

Well, the disclaimer it's implicit on the rule. If there's no mention of league responsibility if the player can resume his career, there's just no responsibility whatsoever.

That's why I'd sue, because it's unfair for the franchise. The get all the punishment, while the league, who said "yeah, this guy is done. All right, here's your exception because he won't ever play again" gets a free pass.

bigstrads wrote:Again, Portlands desperation kinda shows that they wont have the sue option.

Well, there are a few more things to consider... if the piss the league enough, even if they were able to win the case (doubtful, but there's a chance)... can you imagine the kind of rigged refs they'd have to deal with? :wink:
Previous

Return to NBA Forum