So Long... Fairwell.. Darius Miles

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:08 pm
So the Celtics are going to cut Darius Miles (they just signed him to 2 years) after he faces a 10 game suspension for.... DRUGS! Shocker!!!! Darius Miles needs to lay off the weed or crack or whatever he is doing.

It is safe to say his career might be over, or put on hold for a long time, cuz if i were a NBA GM, i aint touching him!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3653860
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:14 pm
I dont think this was a cut because he was suspended............because they knew he was going to be suspended once he was able to play again.

I think its more to do with the fact that he is able to play and if he played 10 games this year (oddly, the same amount of his suspension) the Celtics would have to take on his 9.5 million salary from the Blazers.

Because he was placed on the "Never play again" list, any team that signs him and plays him more than 10 games, has to pick up his original salary...........SO THAT, I think is why his career is over because who the hell would want to do that?

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:27 pm
bigstrads wrote:I dont think this was a cut because he was suspended............because they knew he was going to be suspended once he was able to play again.

I think its more to do with the fact that he is able to play and if he played 10 games this year (oddly, the same amount of his suspension) the Celtics would have to take on his 9.5 million salary from the Blazers.

Because he was placed on the "Never play again" list, any team that signs him and plays him more than 10 games, has to pick up his original salary...........SO THAT, I think is why his career is over because who the hell would want to do that?

actually im not sure you got the whole story bigs. to my understanding, the celtics cut him because he is the 16th player on a 15 man roster and he is the only one with a contract that isnt guaranteed. if he were to make the opening roster (basically if cassell retired and became asst coach, allowing miles to have a spot on the roster), then portland would have to take on the 9.5 million dollar contract that miles was signed to. him being on the "Never play again" list is the reason the blazers dont have to pay that contract. if he were to play again, it kind of acts as a buyout for the blazers where they would have to pay.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:36 am
E-Man wrote:
bigstrads wrote:I dont think this was a cut because he was suspended............because they knew he was going to be suspended once he was able to play again.

actually im not sure you got the whole story bigs. to my understanding, the celtics cut him because he is the 16th player on a 15 man roster and he is the only one with a contract that isnt guaranteed. if he were to make the opening roster (basically if cassell retired and became asst coach, allowing miles to have a spot on the roster), then portland would have to take on the 9.5 million dollar contract that miles was signed to. him being on the "Never play again" list is the reason the blazers dont have to pay that contract. if he were to play again, it kind of acts as a buyout for the blazers where they would have to pay.

You may be right E-Man, as I was typing that above there was niggling doubt in my head............but I also had a thing in my head where I remembered thinking "Why would the Celtics bother with him because if he makes it they are gonna be stuck with his awful salary"

Tried googling and couldnt clarify..........ohh well.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 6
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:26 pm
I have read a number of reports (primarily Yahoo Sports) that say if Miles plays ten games for another team, then the Blazers have to pick his contract back up.

Furthermore, it is apparently now almost certainly going to happen (according to reports), that another team signs him. The Celtics cut him primarily because they have 15 guaranteed contracts already, and want to develop their rookies.

I would even suggest that one team would pick Miles up for the sole purpose of making the Blazers take on his contract. Otherwise, they would have an extra $10m to play with, and could turn a strong team into a potential dynasty.

Anyway, it's an interesting notion all the same. I would think Miles can still contribute as an 8th man somewhere, but who knows...

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:38 am
i honestly thought he'd be a pretty decent low risk pick up for us...but the majority of people on this board think otherwise and i cant exactly argue their call. but i agree, some team should pick him up just so the blazers have to pick up his contract...someone like the thunder.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:36 pm
BUMP

has anyone been paying attention to the whole Darius Miles controversy... Here is a recap:

D Miles, like he got cut by the grizzlies on tueday, then this morning, we find out that if miles plays 2 more games, the blazers will take a cap hit of 18 mill for this season and next. Why? cuz apparently when the blazers had an agreement with the NBA that had some third party examine him and stated that his injury was career ending, which now we know is not. So they sent a memo threatening to sue any team that signs him. He cleared waivers at noon today, and is immediately re-signed by the Grizzlies, which is a division rival of the Blazers and the same team that released him in just three games... All the Grizzlies have to do is play him for 2 more games, 1 second for each game, and BOOM 18 mill on the books for the Blazers

To quote T.O. : GET YO POPCORN READY :happy1:

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:21 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:BUMP

has anyone been paying attention to the whole Darius Miles controversy... Here is a recap:

D Miles, like he got cut by the grizzlies on tueday, then this morning, we find out that if miles plays 2 more games, the blazers will take a cap hit of 18 mill for this season and next. Why? cuz apparently when the blazers had an agreement with the NBA that had some third party examine him and stated that his injury was career ending, which now we know is not. So they sent a memo threatening to sue any team that signs him. He cleared waivers at noon today, and is immediately re-signed by the Grizzlies, which is a division rival of the Blazers and the same team that released him in just three games... All the Grizzlies have to do is play him for 2 more games, 1 second for each game, and BOOM 18 mill on the books for the Blazers

AND

The Grizz and Blazers have been in trade talks this season. I bet this pretty much killed any chance of that!

Portland is in the wrong with this. They got the money off their cap by claiming Miles' injury was career ending. If he can get on the court, his career clearly isn't "ended."
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:37 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:BUMP

Thanks for explaining all that. I was wondering what the hell was going on. I'd love to see the Blazers get tacked for 18 mil hahaha.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:26 am
Yeah, I LOVE this story.

Grizz cut Miles and the Blazers send around a snootie email TELLING everyone that if they sign Miles, for the obvious purpose of playing to get his old salary on their books.............then they will sue.

A couple of GM's replied back, asking them to mind their own business and that this kind of email in un-necessary and un-ethical.

The the players association steps in and says that in the interest of Miles continuing his career...........they would inforce and uphold any teams decision to sing Miles.

Portland is screwed basically, as I understand that they dont want someone to sign Miles for the sole purpose of giving them the 18 mil..........if says he is signed, played one games then cut again..........but I dont imagine they would win an suit against that team as they could just say they were acting in the players best inerests but unfortunately it didnt work out.

Did Memphis actually re-sign him again? havnt seen that confirmed anywhere?...........if they did, then that is hillarious because they are obviously a big free agent rival of Portland and probably are simply doing it so they can screw them. :mrgreen:

Ohh well, this kind of thing doesnt happen often (if ever?) when a player is deemed as a "career ending injury" and then comes back..........so Im sure the Blazers will have to lump it if it happens.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:18 am
Portland already being one of the up and coming young teams pushing for th playoffs, could use that kind of money and add a solid addition to there team. Wow that would be scary, I hope Daruis Miles gets signed so that they can not use that money. Common sense says sign Miles, does any NBA team want blazers to be any better.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:07 pm
the real reason why the grizzlies cut miles and resigned him, is if they did not cut him, then the would have to pay his contract for the rest of this season, so instead they cut him, and resigned him to a 10 day contract....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3822911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:55 pm
pollykraker wrote:the real reason why the grizzlies cut miles and resigned him, is if they did not cut him, then the would have to pay his contract for the rest of this season, so instead they cut him, and resigned him to a 10 day contract....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3822911

well yeah... thats the reason why they cut him , to avoid the guaranteed money, but its pretty evident the reason for resigning him. You've got to believe that nearly every western division club was going to try to pick him up just to make the blazers take the cap hit. Denver was public in saying about there "interest" in Miles. other GMs too (more ambiguously). The whole senario is shattering for the blazers and relief for the other 29 teams

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:12 am
say one of his 10 day contracts should turn into a full year contract, or "rest of the year" contract... would he have to serve the suspension still?

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:36 am
E-Man wrote:say one of his 10 day contracts should turn into a full year contract, or "rest of the year" contract... would he have to serve the suspension still?

Hes already served I think? I thought he was with the Celtics, played 6 pre-season games with them (which count towards his 10 for the contract to return to the Blazers) then he served his suspension.

Then he was cut by the Celts, then Memphis picked him up, played him 2 games, cut him to avoid his contract being guarenteed, then picked him up again on a 10 day'er.
Next

Return to NBA Forum