Davis injured already.

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:36 pm
xbay wrote:Wow, Capt... I never knew you liked typing paragraphs here. I thought I remember you saying you never read anything longer than a paragraph.

Anyways, I completely agree with what you said. People tend to look more at Baron's success than his flaws because of how the franchise completely changed when he was acquired. Losing culture, no significant star. He's acquired, and the Warriors have a promising run to end the season. Next season, he lets us down by an injury just like he did many times in Charlotte and New Orleans. He revives his career during the 05-06 season by leading the upset over the Mavericks. Next season, he has a career year, but no playoffs.

Baron hits big shots, Jack hits big shots. Baron pumps up a crowd, Jack pumps up a crowd. Baron pouts and whines, Jack pouts and whines. Baron has done what Jack has done many times in his career. We just tend to avoid bringing it up because he was labeled our "savior" and all. Let's face it... if it wasn't for Mullin, we would of never had Baron, Jackson, Monta, Biedrins, or Wright. Same goes for Mullin, he has his flaws, but he brought in those guys. Who's to say that if Mullin wasn't the man at the time, that the other person may have brought in those guys?

Oh I totally agree. People give credit to Nelson and Baron, but as far as I'm concerned Mullin was the reason behind ending the playoff drought. I always felt that way, but my feelings were confirmed this season when Mullin got cut out and Nelson and Rowell made bad move after bad move after bad move. Mullin isn't perfect and he's sure made mistakes in the past (Dunleavy, Murphy, Foyle), but he was learning and he was growing and he had things headed in the right direction.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:37 pm
xbay wrote:He revives his career during the 05-06 season by leading the upset over the Mavericks. Next season, he has a career year, but no playoffs.

The ONE good season we have in 15 years, and you mis-allocate the year it happend. :roll: :mrgreen:

Ohh and Cap, you are right, it is about perspective...............and Baron, for me, does get to free ride those things because of what he meant and represented to this team, and us as fans.

Which was a reason to hold your head up a little higher for the first time in the 21st century, a little respectabilty, a reason to actually believe that we could win a game and that the team had a plan..........and someone to build around.

Not being funny Cap, you know I love ya but you only became a fan in 06/07 or whenever near there it was..............and plus, each fans experience is different, and mine under Baron was great............even the losing years...........but with S-Jax now, he means nothing to me and I dont care what he does and how similar or better his numbers/play/leadership is over Baron.............he will never be what Baron was to this team and us.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:11 pm
bigstrads wrote:
xbay wrote:He revives his career during the 05-06 season by leading the upset over the Mavericks. Next season, he has a career year, but no playoffs.

The ONE good season we have in 15 years, and you mis-allocate the year it happend. :roll: :mrgreen:

No, I was right. It was the 05-06 season. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 04-05 or 07-08. :wink:

But I just can't agree with giving Baron more a free ride over Jack. Because what if Larry Bird never pulled the trigger and accepted Mullin's offer on acquiring Jack and Harrington? Would the drought still be on? We'd still have DunMurph. We may have acquired Wright... but everything else would of been the same. Would you still praise Baron even with no playoffs? Because lets face it, this franchise would go no where if we still had those two on the team.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:22 pm
xbay wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

No, I was right. It was the 05-06 season. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the 04-05 or 07-08. :wink:

But I just can't agree with giving Baron more a free ride over Jack. Because what if Larry Bird never pulled the trigger and accepted Mullin's offer on acquiring Jack and Harrington? Would the drought still be on? We'd still have DunMurph. We may have acquired Wright... but everything else would of been the same. Would you still praise Baron even with no playoffs? Because lets face it, this franchise would go no where if we still had those two on the team.

It was actually 06-07 =).

But Bigs I agree with Bada, without the Jackson-Harrington trade Baron wouldn't have done anything with this franchise and he would have lost interest and given up like he has with every other team. I don't give Baron credit for the playoff run, nor do I give Jack, Nellie, or Harrington credit. I'd have to go with Mullin who got all of those people together. Without Mullin's moves none of it would have happened.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:03 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
xbay wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

But Bigs I agree with xbay, without the Jackson-Harrington trade Baron wouldn't have done anything with this franchise and he would have lost interest and given up like he has with every other team. I don't give Baron credit for the playoff run, nor do I give Jack, Nellie, or Harrington credit. I'd have to go with Mullin who got all of those people together. Without Mullin's moves none of it would have happened.

Ah damnit, I knew something seemed off. I just couldn't catch it.

Bada? Fixed it for you. :wink:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:21 pm
xbay wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
xbay wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

But Bigs I agree with xbay, without the Jackson-Harrington trade Baron wouldn't have done anything with this franchise and he would have lost interest and given up like he has with every other team. I don't give Baron credit for the playoff run, nor do I give Jack, Nellie, or Harrington credit. I'd have to go with Mullin who got all of those people together. Without Mullin's moves none of it would have happened.

Ah damnit, I knew something seemed off. I just couldn't catch it.

Bada? Fixed it for you. :wink:

Whoops! My bad! Sorry.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:48 pm
The Baron is being really being shopped by the Clips. Baron to GSW shot down. Baron to Dallas shot down. Clips are now talking to the Rocks about swapping the Baron for the injured T-Mac.

Obviously he is tanking in Clipperland. He played with so much pride when he was here, but now it's like he is sleepwalking on the court. I really thought playing back at home would elevate his game even more this year. It's disappointing to see him fall back into his "I'll play when I feel like it" self...especially after what happened this past summer...
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:48 pm
fine wrote:The Baron is being really being shopped by the Clips. Baron to GSW shot down. Baron to Dallas shot down. Clips are now talking to the Rocks about swapping the Baron for the injured T-Mac.

Obviously he is tanking in Clipperland. He played with so much pride when he was here, but now it's like he is sleepwalking on the court. I really thought playing back at home would elevate his game even more this year. It's disappointing to see him fall back into his "I'll play when I feel like it" self...especially after what happened this past summer...

Warriors would never have him back, as much as we want him back. Be interesting if he is traded and if he is, reckon the Celts might somehow get their hands on him, as he is another star and a friend of Pierce. Rockets could use him too but that would mean that Alston and Brooks get stuck on the bench

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:05 am
migya wrote:
fine wrote:The Baron is being really being shopped by the Clips. Baron to GSW shot down. Baron to Dallas shot down. Clips are now talking to the Rocks about swapping the Baron for the injured T-Mac.

Warriors would never have him back, as much as we want him back. Be interesting if he is traded and if he is, reckon the Celts might somehow get their hands on him, as he is another star and a friend of Pierce. Rockets could use him too but that would mean that Alston and Brooks get stuck on the bench

no way.... did you see Boston's huge salary? They have huge amount of money invested in the big 3. All the remaining money is divied up between the role players. Besides Rondo is doing a decent job why would they want to pay Baron so much for so long for so little.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:53 am
saintdee wrote:
migya wrote:

no way.... did you see Boston's huge salary? They have huge amount of money invested in the big 3. All the remaining money is divied up between the role players. Besides Rondo is doing a decent job why would they want to pay Baron so much for so long for so little.

Don't know the Celts salary situation, don't know if they have any other player or players on enough salary to make such a trade. Baron could be used like Cassell was, only much more significantly. Maybe they could play small and go with Garnett at Center, Pierce PF, Allen at SF, Baron at SG and Rondo at PG, don't know, just a thought.

Most likely Baron, if he does get traded which he likely won't, will go East, maybe Miami, if the Heat don't make another trade, to pair with Wade. Baron's contract is lengthy and a real deterent right now, but he is a very good player still

migya make the ring fall on ya
Previous

Return to NBA Forum