How Much Does This Suck?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:21 am
Man, just when I was beginning to get slightly excited that the UK would finally be able to field a team in the London 2012 Olympics............this crops up =

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... e?rss=true

Luol Deng insurance doubt for London 2012

Great Britain Basketball [GBB] officials fear that the insurance problems that are preventing Luol Deng, the Chicago Bulls forward, from playing for his country will rule him out of the 2012 Olympic Games in London and even put Britain's involvement in the tournament in doubt.

The sport's governing body has seven days to find $500,000 (about £272,000) for an additional insurance premium if Deng, who is an ambassador for London 2012, is to take his place in the qualifying campaign for next year's European Championship A division finals, starting against Israel in Tel Aviv a week today.

The root of the problem lies with MetLife, the NBA's insurer, which covers the top 150 salaries in the American league on a group policy. Under the terms of its agreement with the NBA, MetLife has the right to exclude 14 high-risk players every year, a decision based on the individual's injury history and the amount of money remaining on his contract.

Deng came under the company's spotlight when he signed a new $71million, six-year contract at the start of this month, the fourth-highest contract in the league at present in terms of outstanding money. MetLife subsequently used an MRI scan taken last November when Deng, 23, injured his back and missed three games to exclude him from the coverage.

Exhaustive work has produced a quotation of $500,000 for supplementary cover and GBB officials are working on the assumption that they will have to unearth a similar fee every summer between now and the London Olympics to allow Deng to play - a total cost of $2.5million for a programme that runs on an annual budget of about £1.5million.

“This is a devastating blow,” Chris Spice, the GBB performance director, said. “If Luol doesn't participate this season or any other season leading up to London, there is no question our involvement is in doubt. The world governing body [Fiba] has not been very specific, but we know from discussions that we need to be playing in the A division tournament in Europe to be given a place in the Olympics.

“If we fall out of the A division next year and cannot participate in the A division for [the 2011 European Championships], there is a real possibility we will not play in London.”

So bloody typical that HE is excluded from the blanket policy due to the amount of money owed on his contract...........and that HE represents probably the most dis-interested in basketball nation in the world (excluding those that dont actually have any players of course)

I wonder if Ben Gordon will have the same trouble now he has elected to play for our team? suppose it depends on what his contract is and whether he is covered by that blanket policy.

Also, those f*cking as*holes who commented on the article annoyed the hell out of me...........I posted a couple of comments in reply to them but they havnt appeared yet.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:23 pm
Well... Yeah, sucks... But if Luol Deng really wants to play for England, I don't know how they can stop him. It's that easy. If the player wants to play, he plays.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:27 pm
TMC wrote:Well... Yeah, sucks... But if Luol Deng really wants to play for England, I don't know how they can stop him. It's that easy. If the player wants to play, he plays.

Well, hes been playing............for awhile now, he was actually voted the UK athlete of the year last year............but now the contract hes signed changes the insurance thing.

When you say "If the player wants to play, he plays" do you mean he should stump up the money himself?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:10 pm
bigstrads wrote:When you say "If the player wants to play, he plays" do you mean he should stump up the money himself?

I'm just saying that Garbajosa had insurance problems to play for Spain last year in the European Championship and said he was going to play no matter what... and he played.

If the player wants to play, there's always a way without losing money.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:16 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:When you say "If the player wants to play, he plays" do you mean he should stump up the money himself?

I'm just saying that Garbajosa had insurance problems to play for Spain last year in the European Championship and said he was going to play no matter what... and he played.

If the player wants to play, there's always a way without losing money.

Ohh ok, so its just abit of dooming and glooming from the media............I presumed that if he the player isnt covered from an insurance standpoint, then the players team wouldnt release him for international duty.

Although, Garbajosa was on what? $780,000 a year? and a one year deal as well.............where as if Deng gets hurt bad, then someone is owed 71 million over the next 6 years!!!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:25 pm
bigstrads wrote:Ohh ok, so its just abit of dooming and glooming from the media............I presumed that if he the player isnt covered from an insurance standpoint, then the players team wouldnt release him for international duty.

Toronto never allowed him to join the national team, but he decided to do it anyway...

bigstrads wrote:Although, Garbajosa was on what? $780,000 a year? and a one year deal as well.............where as if Deng gets hurt bad, then someone is owed 71 million over the next 6 years!!!

The contract does not matter. At all. The player is the only one that decides if he's gonna play or not, unless there's a no-play clause in his contract (and it's not usual).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:57 pm
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Ohh ok, so its just abit of dooming and glooming from the media............I presumed that if he the player isnt covered from an insurance standpoint, then the players team wouldnt release him for international duty.

Toronto never allowed him to join the national team, but he decided to do it anyway...

bigstrads wrote:Although, Garbajosa was on what? $780,000 a year? and a one year deal as well.............where as if Deng gets hurt bad, then someone is owed 71 million over the next 6 years!!!

The contract does not matter. At all. The player is the only one that decides if he's gonna play or not, unless there's a no-play clause in his contract (and it's not usual).

Ok then................we will see how much Luol wants to play for GB then. :wink:

Why do they make it sound like its all about the insurance and there are no options.............it already sounds like he has missed games because of it too, as far as that article reads.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:15 pm
I'm not sure how it works... does Great Britain automatically qualify for a spot in the pool play since they're the host country? Or do they still have to qualify for it? Because if it's number two, then I have a hard time believing we'll see the British play basketball in 2012. Perhaps we'll see Azubuike play for them, though? He was born in England.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:03 pm
xbay wrote:I'm not sure how it works... does Great Britain automatically qualify for a spot in the pool play since they're the host country? Or do they still have to qualify for it? Because if it's number two, then I have a hard time believing we'll see the British play basketball in 2012. Perhaps we'll see Azubuike play for them, though? He was born in England.

Yeah, we do have to qualify.............wish it was like the World Cup or something similar where you are just in by default. :?

Anyway, for me, completely un-biased, with Luol Deng and Ben Gordon (Yes, Ben is official) and the other guys on the team............I think we have a decent chance.

It will be very very tough, and depends on what qualifying group we get..............chances would greatly increase if our stupid ass home office would pull their fingers out and give Azu a fricken passport!!! so much bull crap as to why they havnt..............then they hand out passports to every scum bag who is here soley to rape our benefit systems. :roll: :banghead:
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:15 pm
So who is on the squad (if everything were to work out) for England? And is it England or do you compete as Great Britain for the Olympics (might make a difference if the Scots have some players)?

I'm guessing:

G - Gordon
G - Azubuike
SF - Deng
PF - Joel Freeland??
C - . . . . Peter Crouch?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:18 am
Thunder wrote:So who is on the squad (if everything were to work out) for England? And is it England or do you compete as Great Britain for the Olympics (might make a difference if the Scots have some players)?

I'm guessing:

G - Gordon
G - Azubuike
SF - Deng
PF - Joel Freeland??
C - . . . . Peter Crouch?

LMAO!!! "Peter Crouch"...............might be an option! :mrgreen:

To be honest, I dont follow it that closely...........so Im not sure on what the usual starting 5 is, also it is Great Britain, so Scottish and others are included (it changed from just Enlgand a couple of years ago)

At the moment, the starting 5 seems to be =

PG - Nate Reinking
SG - Ben Gordon
SF - Luol Deng
PF - Andrew Sullivan (I used to play with him a long time ago......he went to Villanova)
C - Robert Archibald (Hes Scottish)

Of course, if Azu ever gets clearance then he would go into the starting 5 and Gordon to the PG spot..........pretty decent team in my mind.

Joel Freeland??? I dont know where he is actually? he isnt mentioned anywhere and is not on any of the Team GB team lists and what not.........who knows, still quite abit of time for players to come out of the woodwork.

Also, heres a little update on whats been going on recently with them =

Great Britain won 163-119 on aggregate and succeeded in qualifying to Division A of FIBA Europe national basketball and now have the chance to qualify for EuroBasket 2009[3]. Playing in the A division is the principal criterion that Team Great Britain must fulfil to earn a host berth in the London 2012 Olympics. During the 6 EuroBasket Division B qualifying games, GB won by an average score of over 25 points per game, holding the lead in those games for 237 out of 240 minutes
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 am
bigstrads wrote:Joel Freeland??? I dont know where he is actually? he isnt mentioned anywhere and is not on any of the Team GB team lists and what not.........who knows, still quite abit of time for players to come out of the woodwork.

Funnily enough, he's playing here in Las Palmas... although riding the pine could be a more accurate description.

He's a PF, although he might play some center, but he's definitely a 4. Problem is... he's just a backup. And not having enough talent to start in an european league is not a good sign, even if we're talking about one of the top european leagues.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:03 am
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Joel Freeland??? I dont know where he is actually? he isnt mentioned anywhere and is not on any of the Team GB team lists and what not.........who knows, still quite abit of time for players to come out of the woodwork.

Funnily enough, he's playing here in Las Palmas... although riding the pine could be a more accurate description.

He's a PF, although he might play some center, but he's definitely a 4. Problem is... he's just a backup. And not having enough talent to start in an european league is not a good sign, even if we're talking about one of the top european leagues.

Yeah, I saw he played in the Canary Islands but wasnt sure if that was current or not.

Not a good sign, as you say, that he cant win a starting place.............Las Palmas arent all that either are they? the real gauge I suppose is how the good players are ahead of him?

What did the Blazers see in him to draft him Number 30 in 2006???...........Ive never heard of the guy at all.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:27 am
bigstrads wrote:Yeah, I saw he played in the Canary Islands but wasnt sure if that was current or not.

I think he's on the last year of his contract.

bigstrads wrote:Not a good sign, as you say, that he cant win a starting place.............Las Palmas arent all that either are they? the real gauge I suppose is how the good players are ahead of him?

He's gonna play behind Sitapha Savane (A LOT more athletic... and not much else) and James Augustine (who played, sort of, for Orlando last year). Kornel David (the former Bulls player was also above him last season, but he's gone for this one.

An aussie guy called Daniel Kickert, who I've never seen playing, has also signed with the team this year and might take even more minutes from Freeland. And even Albert Moncasi, but he's so young and unproven that I doubt he becomes a threat for minutes.

As for Freeland's stats, he barely got 2 points and 1 board in just 5 minutes per game. Not terribly bad considering he was unable to play any kind of significant role in the team.

bigstrads wrote:What did the Blazers see in him to draft him Number 30 in 2006???...........Ive never heard of the guy at all.

I guess they saw... size. He's 6'11''. I honestly haven't seen anything else, although I haven't followed his career that much.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 am
bigstrads wrote:Man, just when I was beginning to get slightly excited that the UK would finally be able to field a team in the London 2012 Olympics............this crops up =

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... e?rss=true

isn't that sad, the state of our world, where everything essentially comes down to money?

unbelievable... no wonder we live in f*cked up world...
Next

Return to NBA Forum