*Something* At Its Finest...........Josh Childress

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 am
boleyn wrote:Yes, I'm norwegian. Football (soccer) is by far the biggest sport in Norway, and the norwegian basketball league (BLNO) sucks. But a lot of norwegians follow the NBA. When I was growing up in the 90s all the kids were collecting and trading basketball cards. And the games were broadcasted on norwegian television. That's how I got my interest for the sport, plus I have close family in San Francisco.

ok, got it.
good country, by the way :wink:
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:25 am
Bigs, that's not Olympiakos arena. That must be a practice gym or something like that. Or maybe some other team's arena where Olympiakos had to play.

This is their current arena:

It's actually one of the best arenas in Europe. Not a bad place to play at all.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:27 am
TMC wrote:Bigs, that's not Olympiakos arena. That must be a practice gym or something like that. Or maybe some other team's arena where Olympiakos had to play.

This is their current arena:

It's actually one of the best arenas in Europe. Not a bad place to play at all.

Ohh yeah, I didnt for one minute think that was the Olympiakos arena, Ive heard of that place.

But that pic just made me laugh, as it is the arena for the other team they were playing, and its is awful.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:36 am
bigstrads wrote:Ohh yeah, I didnt for one minute think that was the Olympiakos arena, Ive heard of that place.

But that pic just made me laugh, as it is the arena for the other team they were playing, and its is awful.

So what?. Some arenas in Europe are pretty lame, but it really shouldn't matter to the players. It's the same game, after all.

Childress is gonna make a TON of money in Greece. He's also gonna play a lot less than in the NBA, just two, occasionally three, games per week. And he's gonna be able to come back to the NBA in one or two years as a free agent, able to sign with whoever he wants to, with no rights for the Hawks to match.

I definitely understand the reasoning after his Olympiakos signing. Not that I like it, but I understand it.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:12 am
TMC wrote:So what?. Some arenas in Europe are pretty lame, but it really shouldn't matter to the players. It's the same game, after all.

Childress is gonna make a TON of money in Greece. He's also gonna play a lot less than in the NBA, just two, occasionally three, games per week. And he's gonna be able to come back to the NBA in one or two years as a free agent, able to sign with whoever he wants to, with no rights for the Hawks to match.

I definitely understand the reasoning after his Olympiakos signing. Not that I like it, but I understand it.

Ok, I have one final point on this and then Ill leave it alone.

I was just reading an article about the Olympiakos owner saying he is wanting to get more NBA players, and big ones at that, so its jogged my memory.

So, heres two scenarios =

Scenario 1 - Josh Childress decides he wants to win, he says to himself that he is going to opt out of his contract because he wants to play with the best, win with the best and BE the best.

So he signs with the Celtics for a minimum salary or not much more...........he plays the key man off the bench for them, starter if someone is injured, he goes all year being that James Posey kind of guy or more and ends up winning a title...........as key player.

His contract is now up, and everyone looks at him and says to themselves "Wow, that Childress guy is a winner, look how he sacrificed money to play whatever role he could for the Celtics, he played well and was key to there success.........I want him bad!!!"

Outcome = Here comes the big money, here comes the big respect, here comes offers from every team that is contending for a title and just needs that little bit extra help.

Scenario 2 - He signs overseas for a ridiculously overblown and undeserved amount...........he doesnt play at NBA level, against the best players in the world, he doesnt play as much as NBA players do, he doesnt travel as much..........and even if his team wins every single game they play and collects every trophy possible, no-one in the NBA really cares.

So when he decides to come back to the NBA...........teams look at him and say to themselves "Well Josh, you went overseas for the money, you got a hell of alot of it, you won things but you simply werent here, competing with the best and going through the gruelling NBA season like the rest of us"

Outcome = Childress has lost respect, yes he can sign with anyone but why would that team pay anything more than the minimum? because he has already made a stupid amount of money without deserving it compared to the rest of the NBA, so why keep giving it to him?..........and when he objects and tries to reason with them, they turn around and say "Fine, Josh, this is what we are offering, if youve had more in the past and still want more..........then go back to Europe and get it!"

Everyone who says he can go overseas and come back and still command decent NBA money, where is this presedence? who has ever done that?.............why would it work? because I dont think it would and NBA GM's would have the "What have you dont for me lately" mentality and basically tell him to accept peanuts because HE NOW WANTS TO PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS, and is essentially begging to come back.

So now he has live with the consequences of his money grabbing move, either accept the peanuts with a chance to win what every young kid growing up dreams of winning (ie: not the Greek/Euro Championship) or have a rebuilding team , willing to pay fully for his services, and he is right back to square one, where he was 4/5 years before.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:07 am
bigstrads wrote:Scenario 1 - Josh Childress decides he wants to win, he says to himself that he is going to opt out of his contract because he wants to play with the best, win with the best and BE the best.

So he signs with the Celtics for a minimum salary or not much more...........he plays the key man off the bench for them, starter if someone is injured, he goes all year being that James Posey kind of guy or more and ends up winning a title...........as key player.

His contract is now up, and everyone looks at him and says to themselves "Wow, that Childress guy is a winner, look how he sacrificed money to play whatever role he could for the Celtics, he played well and was key to there success.........I want him bad!!!"

Outcome = Here comes the big money, here comes the big respect, here comes offers from every team that is contending for a title and just needs that little bit extra help.

The outcome is just wrong. You don't get a big contract unless you play a big role for your team. If you're just a role player, the best you can get is what Posey got. Something barely above the MLE.

Unless you're a PF/C, of course, but Childress ain't one... That "I want him bad" logic does not apply to guards. Those are dime a dozen.

bigstrads wrote:Scenario 2 - He signs overseas for a ridiculously overblown and undeserved amount...........he doesnt play at NBA level, against the best players in the world, he doesnt play as much as NBA players do, he doesnt travel as much..........and even if his team wins every single game they play and collects every trophy possible, no-one in the NBA really cares.

So when he decides to come back to the NBA...........teams look at him and say to themselves "Well Josh, you went overseas for the money, you got a hell of alot of it, you won things but you simply werent here, competing with the best and going through the gruelling NBA season like the rest of us"

Outcome = Childress has lost respect, yes he can sign with anyone but why would that team pay anything more than the minimum? because he has already made a stupid amount of money without deserving it compared to the rest of the NBA, so why keep giving it to him?..........and when he objects and tries to reason with them, they turn around and say "Fine, Josh, this is what we are offering, if youve had more in the past and still want more..........then go back to Europe and get it!"

Everyone who says he can go overseas and come back and still command decent NBA money, where is this presedence? who has ever done that?.............why would it work? because I dont think it would and NBA GM's would have the "What have you dont for me lately" mentality and basically tell him to accept peanuts because HE NOW WANTS TO PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS, and is essentially begging to come back.

So now he has live with the consequences of his money grabbing move, either accept the peanuts with a chance to win what every young kid growing up dreams of winning (ie: not the Greek/Euro Championship) or have a rebuilding team , willing to pay fully for his services, and he is right back to square one, where he was 4/5 years before.

Also think it's wrong. He might be back to square one, but a lot richer than before. And that means a lot for a role player. Financially, he did the right thing, although that's not the case from a competitive point of view.

All in all, I think he'd sign back with a NBA team next year, and he'll do so with a contract around 7 million per year. Just a hunch, tho.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:59 pm
why? he's a greedy Son'Bitch
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Previous

Return to NBA Forum