cursing

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:12 pm
just wondering but does anybody else think there should be a fine when you can clearly hear the players swear on tv? im tired of watching games with my little brother and hearing carmelo go "GET THAT **** OUT OF HERE", or even al harrington going "ahhhh shiiit" almost every game.

Fact: Brighton, England is awesome
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:59 pm
gogogadget wrote:just wondering but does anybody else think there should be a fine when you can clearly hear the players swear on tv? im tired of watching games with my little brother and hearing carmelo go "GET THAT **** OUT OF HERE", or even al harrington going "ahhhh shiiit" almost every game.

I'd have to say that if your little brother watches basketball he must have heard those phrases quite some times. Really. People's fear of profanity is just weird to me. What I want is for the announcers to be able to swear. I can picture it, Fitz going: I can't believe how much the refs have buttfucked us all game :-)
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:27 am
i dont... its part of the game... im sure its hard for people to go a single day or two without saying one cussword... games get emotional so words will get blurted out... there were times last year when bullshit was chanted by the crowd at the oracle... so what should the whole crowd be censored or fined? part of the game leave it as it is... and not add any more ridiculous fines to the game
THATS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:52 am
cladden wrote:
gogogadget wrote:just wondering but does anybody else think there should be a fine when you can clearly hear the players swear on tv? im tired of watching games with my little brother and hearing carmelo go "GET THAT **** OUT OF HERE", or even al harrington going "ahhhh shiiit" almost every game.

I'd have to say that if your little brother watches basketball he must have heard those phrases quite some times. Really. People's fear of profanity is just weird to me. What I want is for the announcers to be able to swear. I can picture it, Fitz going: I can't believe how much the refs have buttfucked us all game :-)

haha... that would be fun, if announcers, players and EVEN THE REFS were free to say what they really think. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:52 am
cladden wrote:

LMAO!!!.............that would be absolutely brilliant (resisted the urge to swear of course. :mrgreen: )

Ahh profanity..............sweet profanity...............tis a part of life, tis a part of being passionate and expressing certain emotions.

Obviously its not nice if you want to protect young kids from it but the simple fact is they are going to hear in school, on other TV programmes, on the street, from family members...........EVERYWHERE!!!..............so Id rather my son hear a swear word in my presence, and ask questions, or have me say "Ohh, that was a naughty a word, you know you shouldnt say things like that right?".......just have that kind of stuff out in the open because its the things you dont talk about/shy away from that become problems, as the kid thinks they are special...........so dont make a big deal out of them, and they wont be a big deal.

Man, you cant shield your kids from all the bad things in life, just hope that they have enough respect for themselves and others to not do the bad things they see.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:15 pm
one of the funniest topics ever.... your little brother is going to get exposed to it anyway. Might as well in the house where you can teach him rather than getting taught in grade school.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:04 am
I think profanity is so common that even the most bad of words no longer pack much of a punch.

So, in time, will there be any bad words or will we have to make up new ones?

We may see changes in this election. Imagine Oboma debating McCain and using the MF word on him a few times. Now that would be fun.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 am
carlgo wrote:I think profanity is so common that even the most bad of words no longer pack much of a punch.

We may see changes in this election. Imagine Oboma debating McCain and using the MF word on him a few times. Now that would be fun.

Man................C*NT!!!...........will always pack a punch. :wink:

Thats the one good thing about England..............we say c*nt alot. :agrue:
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:58 am
That is interesting Bigs because here, the word c*nt can make a room go silent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 am
and with post #199 on profanity, I think I'm allowed a bs post to push myself to 200... slow but gratifying... 8)

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:31 am
Jackattack wrote:That is interesting Bigs because here, the word c*nt can make a room go silent.

I know.............its great how the word is soooooooo taboo in the US, makes me laugh............its still as harsh and taboo over here (as far as it is the worst thing you could say to someone...........but we dont give a f*ck, and that is largely the point of its frequent use really)

Im currently teaching our very own Webelieve/Tavis the finer art of English swear words/insults, that will fly under the radar in your home land. :wink:

Tosser = meaning "jerk off" being his favourite at the moment, and many other Americans Ive said it too (in an educational sense of course. :wink: )............sounds so funny from my side, to hear an American impersonating and English guy saying Tosser = "Ya bloody tosser!" is usually the combo. :mrgreen:

Ps: congrats on your post milestone bud, keep em coming! :D
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:14 pm
This is sort of off topic but, did anyone see LeBron yell at his mom to "sit your ass down" when she got up after Paul Pierce fouled him last night? My mom would have killed me if I would have ever yelled at her like that, even if I was a 23 year old superstar.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:43 pm
bigstrads wrote:
carlgo wrote:I think profanity is so common that even the most bad of words no longer pack much of a punch.

its funny, cuz now it's not even the words that make it hurt...its the way you say it. if you say something with so much sarcasm but leave them not knowing whether you were serious or not, it'll hurt the most. probably cuz it takes a hit to their pride and intelligence at the same time. you can take a term that's normally positive, and it will be insulting.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 pm
bigstrads wrote:
Jackattack wrote:That is interesting Bigs because here, the word c*nt can make a room go silent.

I know.............its great how the word is soooooooo taboo in the US, makes me laugh............its still as harsh and taboo over here (as far as it is the worst thing you could say to someone...........but we dont give a f*ck, and that is largely the point of its frequent use really)

Im currently teaching our very own Webelieve/Tavis the finer art of English swear words/insults, that will fly under the radar in your home land. :wink:

Tosser = meaning "jerk off" being his favourite at the moment, and many other Americans Ive said it too (in an educational sense of course. :wink: )............sounds so funny from my side, to hear an American impersonating and English guy saying Tosser = "Ya bloody tosser!" is usually the combo. :mrgreen:

Ps: congrats on your post milestone bud, keep em coming! :D

Tosser ::lol:

Wanker is one of my favs

and

I wished Warriors tickets cost bugger all

When we hear your accents we do tend to take the piss on you. :mrgreen: :wink:

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:06 am
bigstrads wrote:

We say cunnt over here often also. Nothing like turning around to your mates and saying "give me a beer you cunnt".

Cunnt is more of an expression than anything else and like any swear word, it is how it is used that makes it obscene or not

migya make the ring fall on ya
Next

Return to NBA Forum