how did you become a warriors fan

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:05 pm
just a lighter side thread. im just curious. well the way i became a warriors fan.
my parents never watched sports. but during my childhood i had a really bad year so i started watching baseball, football, and basketball because it was my escape from the world. i felt totally in snyc watching sports.
so had did you guys become a warriors fan
I like pie
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:26 am
Watching the Run TMC defeat the Spurs in the playoffs, in 1991. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that became a Warriors fan due to those games.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:34 am
watching sprewell doing his 'hands behind the head' dunks, watching tim's moves and the killer release by mullin. practicing sprewell dunks in the kinder-garden act gym with the rim low, practicing tim's moves outside in the basketball fields, though guys would call me 'mike' :mrgreen: (i can't say i wasn't happy), yeah and we won 3 on 3 city tournament back then, that was my 15 minutes of a basketball fame, never played good 5 on 5, so i would leave the high-school team and drop watching warriors. coincidence or not, but i came back to watching warriors again when we started to play in district championships, last year we made playoffs, this year - nope. p.s. and they call me baron because i have had my beard for a long time and was pretty heavy and bull-dog like for a point guard
:mrgreen:
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:46 am
Growing up in the Central Valley everyone was a Kings fan. I wanted to be different, I loved going to ARCO in my Chris Mullin USA jersey or my Timmy Hardaway blue.

I also think the fact that they were bad for soooo long had alot to do with it, I felt like everyone jumped on the Kings bandwagon when they were good, which made me pull for my lowly Warriors even more. Plus I could never wear a purple jersey :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:38 am
i actually remember watching (can't remember if it was the news or the actual game on TV - i was small small boy then) sleepy floyd go buck wild vs the lakers when he scored 29 points...

and when larry smith used to have his own section of fans come to the arena wearing hard hats...

when terry teagle used to fling up 23 foot fade away jumpers...

when the buff ben mcdonald used to muscle fools...

yup, that's when i became a fan...

ah the memories...

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:01 pm
i was born.

haha...naw but i started getting into basketball when i was 4 (i know seems too young...but im not lying) and i started watching some recorded games of my cuzin playing in high school. he got me into watching the warriors and ive been a fan since. so from 1990-present, ive been following the warriors. i remember when kidd was coming out for the draft, i was hoping the warriors would get him (remember, i was a kid and didnt understand draft picks and such) then my cuzin would say "he's alright." he'd show me tapes of when he played against kidd... now im sure kidd would own him haha.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:54 pm
ha...
well my first trip to the arena as a boy was not to see the warriors :oops:

it was to see the generals and the globe trotters.....

but growing up we did have the chance to see a few warriors games
was never a big fan more a football and baseball fan ( those were the sports i played ).

4 years ago my dad bought up a few mini plans and couldnt use them
so he gave them to me...i was hooked
the following year i bought my season tics and probably will continue to buy them every year
Last edited by JOEL on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:19 pm
I probably have the biggest bandwagon story out of everyone :oops: . I was rooting for the knicks to make the playoffs (last year they were actually in the running for a spot) cuz im a knicks fan and I decided to root for a team in the west to make the playoffs too that were underdogs so I picked the warriors because I loved baron davis and al Harrington was on my 2k7 fantasy team. People dont usually believe me but during the playoffs I picked the warriors to beat dallas and after that I just grew attached to the team and I decided I would become a fan through the good and bad times. Im still a knick fan (although I wont root for them until curry randolph crawford and marbury are gone) and I would probably root for the knicks if they played the warriors in the finals but ive become a warriors fan for life :mrgreen:
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:51 pm
Moved here from Seattle in 1984. My father got season tickets to the Warriors (we were just big sports fans but not necessarily of the Warriors). He was able to get courtside seats right away. AMAZING. Are seats were fold out chairs that sat on the hardwood right under the basket.

3 weeks later, the Warriors drafted Chris Mullin. Attending about 30 games/season sitting courtside as a teenager, I was certainly won over by them.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:36 pm
bada wrote:Moved here from Seattle in 1984. My father got season tickets to the Warriors (we were just big sports fans but not necessarily of the Warriors). He was able to get courtside seats right away. AMAZING. Are seats were fold out chairs that sat on the hardwood right under the basket.

3 weeks later, the Warriors drafted Chris Mullin. Attending about 30 games/season sitting courtside as a teenager, I was certainly won over by them.

You lucky lucky guy..............so many of you dont how lucky you are to be where you should be you know. :(

Anyway, my story................I started playing ball at High school as I wasnt into Soccer or Rugby (pretty much the only alternatives), when I was 12..........I started playing mostly because all my friends were into it.

So I go into my P.E teacher/Basketball coaches office on day and he has stacks of Basketball videos.........alot of them NBA games, so I ask if I could borrow some to do some "research"...........I took about 5, wacthed them all........and one was the 1991 Playoff series against the Fakers, where Mully and Magic went at it..........and what team did I go for??? (some of it was to do with the fact that alot of my friends supported the Fakers........but mostly because I just loved Run TMC, Mario Elie and the rest of the crazy bunch)

And that was it..........Warrior ever since, and Warrior till forever.

Also, funny how its nearly the same as TMC's...........guess your right man! alot of people influence by that Playoff run.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 pm
Got really into Tim Hardaway and tried to do his killer crossover around 91 or 92. Saw most of it on NBA Action. This has been Jim Fagan with NBA Action!
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:55 pm
bigstrads wrote:
bada wrote:Moved here from Seattle in 1984. My father got season tickets to the Warriors (we were just big sports fans but not necessarily of the Warriors). He was able to get courtside seats right away. AMAZING. Are seats were fold out chairs that sat on the hardwood right under the basket.

You lucky lucky guy..............so many of you dont how lucky you are to be where you should be you know. :(

Anyway, my story................I started playing ball at High school as I wasnt into Soccer or Rugby (pretty much the only alternatives), when I was 12..........I started playing mostly because all my friends were into it.

So I go into my P.E teacher/Basketball coaches office on day and he has stacks of Basketball videos.........alot of them NBA games, so I ask if I could borrow some to do some "research"...........I took about 5, wacthed them all........and one was the 1991 Playoff series against the Fakers, where Mully and Magic went at it..........and what team did I go for??? (some of it was to do with the fact that alot of my friends supported the Fakers........but mostly because I just loved Run TMC, Mario Elie and the rest of the crazy bunch)

Also, funny how its nearly the same as TMC's...........guess your right man! alot of people influence by that Playoff run.

wat position did u play?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:09 pm
jimbob631 wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

wat position did u play?

I was a SF/PF...........created a thread about my career in Off Topic a while back (as I made it to a pro team over here before I fractured two vertebrae in my lower back! :roll: ).............but yeah, Im 6'4, early developer, played inside and out, lots of rebounds, solid defender, tough inside shots, surprise 3 point shot and good passer.........thats was me.

Heres that thread if you want to have a look at my and others stories and careers...........it didnt get many post. :wink:

http://www.goldenstwarriors.com/viewtopic.php?t=5849
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:26 pm
oh man dude that sucks about ur injury, but I enjoyed reading about ur career. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:58 pm
jimbob631 wrote:oh man dude that sucks about ur injury, but I enjoyed reading about ur career. :mrgreen:

Cool........thanks man........not really a career though I suppose :wink: .........it still pains me to think about it really because I probably could have, atleast, made a living with it over here.

I was really expecting some others to talk it up in that thread though.........should have probably put in the Sports Board, as more check there instead of Off Topic.......ohh well. :wink:
Next

Return to NBA Forum