Did Kobe just win MVP yesterday?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:52 pm
So with the Lakers almost certain to win the West after beating San Antonio, does that put Kobe on top of the MVP list?

I think it does, as most of the quotes I've heard where people were saying that Chris Paul deserved it were focused on the fact that Paul had the Hornets in first place in the West. Now that they are not in first, I expect some of the people to switch their votes for Kobe.

Thoughts?

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:08 pm
I'm a Kobe fan, but CP3 really really deserves it. The guy leads the league in assist and steals, and will be the 1st person in over 20 years to avg over 20 and 10... I think he's 21.5 and 11.5 now? and his assist to turnover ratio is amazing.
CP3's surrounding talent is far wose than the lakers starting 4 ( which when bynum comes back would be one of the best starting 5's in the league).

However, I think most voters would give it to Bryant because they think he is overdue for one...

In the end, the title is just an award based on the judgment of 100 "Professional Fans." The championship is more important because your competing physically for it, you don't win by opinion... but that all depends on what a player wants, and some who rather have recognition.
Last edited by jamesnamida on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:28 am
Three players have been above anybody else in the NBA this season. Kobe, Lebron and CP3. Any of them is worth the award.

If I had to bet for one, it would be Kobe. I had Lebron as my fave a month ago, but these final weeks have made change my mind about the award.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:05 am
TMC wrote:Three players have been above anybody else in the NBA this season. Kobe, Lebron and CP3. Any of them is worth the award.

If I had to bet for one, it would be Kobe. I had Lebron as my fave a month ago, but these final weeks have made change my mind about the award.

Have to say I think the same, Kobe will get it now as the Lakers are #1 and Cavs just a bit more than average in East

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:49 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:Three players have been above anybody else in the NBA this season. Kobe, Lebron and CP3. Any of them is worth the award.

Have to say I think the same, Kobe will get it now as the Lakers are #1 and Cavs just a bit more than average in East

But both Kobe and CP3 have waaaaay better supporting casts than LBJ. I think Kobe deserves it, because he stepped up his game this year and is a more complete player than ever, but I don't think that team records are a fair way to compare Kobe and LeBron...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 am
sleandres wrote:
migya wrote:

But both Kobe and CP3 have waaaaay better supporting casts than LBJ. I think Kobe deserves it, because he stepped up his game this year and is a more complete player than ever, but I don't think that team records are a fair way to compare Kobe and LeBron...

We're talking about what will happen, not what we think should happen. And we all know records do matter a lot in the real voting. That's why KG has a chance to win it.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:13 pm
well, I put down Kobe in the other MVP thread about 3 weeks ago and nothing in the last three weeks has changed that opinion.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:08 pm
For what it is worth...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=MVP-0708

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:14 pm
only thing i can say is give him the award...and then i will hope he has a dirk type of play offs..... :oops:
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:14 pm
It'll be Kobe because, as much as they don't want to make it one, the media will give it to him as a sort of 'lifetime achievement' award since he hasn't won it before. It is about split between CP3 and Kobe and either would be a good choice but I just get the feeling it's going to Kobe because of age.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:55 pm
thewaiverproject wrote:I'm a Kobe fan, but CP3 really really deserves it. The guy leads the league in assist and steals, and will be the 1st person in over 20 years to avg over 20 and 10... I think he's 21.5 and 11.5 now? and his assist to turnover ratio is amazing.
CP3's surrounding talent is far wose than the lakers starting 4 ( which when bynum comes back wouldn't be one of the best starting 5's in the league).

However, I think most voters would give it to Bryant because they think he is overdue for one...

In the end, the title is just an award based on the judgment of 100 "Professional Fans." The championship is more important because your competing physically for it, you don't win by opinion... but that all depends on what a player wants, and some who rather have recognition.

Hey hey there. Tim-bug did this in back to back seasons from 91-93. That is only 15 years ago :-)

I agree though. I want CP to get it.

Return to NBA Forum