New Age Limit

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:46 pm
This didn't actually happen by the way...This was proven to be a false rumor and the press conference was actually to make a new rule allowing NBA teams to pay for underclassmen workouts.

Personally, I think that staying a year or two in college actually can hurt a player's fundamentals if they're good enough because they have a couple of years of being able to do whatever they want whenever they want. Look at how fundamentally sound Monta, Lebron, KG, T-Mac, Kobe, etc are in comparison to guys like Carmelo, Kevin Durant, Allen Iverson, D-Wade, etc. I think when you spend an extra couple of years in the NBA playing against the best players in the world you have to learn a multi-dimensional game, whereas if you go to college for a couple of years where you can score each and every time you touch the ball that's what you're going to do. Sure, there are some occasions where college could help, Jermaine O'neal comes to mind, but for the most part, players who are as good as a Lebron, KG, T-Mac, D-Ho, Kobe, Monta, etc are ill-served by spending a couple years against inferior competition.
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:23 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
TMC wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote: I'm hoping that SOME day it gets to a point where a degree is required.

I can't see a way to achieve that. It just looks downright illegal to me.

It would be an ideal situation, but just doesn't look feasible.

I don't see how it would be illegal. There are plenty of jobs that require you to have a 4 year degree, whether it relates to the job or not. They just require a degree. I don't see why the NBA, since it IS a job, is any different.

do you want to force chefs to get 4 year degrees as well?
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:34 pm
saintdee wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
TMC wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote: I'm hoping that SOME day it gets to a point where a degree is required.

I don't see how it would be illegal. There are plenty of jobs that require you to have a 4 year degree, whether it relates to the job or not. They just require a degree. I don't see why the NBA, since it IS a job, is any different.

do you want to force chefs to get 4 year degrees as well?

Depends on what kind of chef your talking about. One that works at a fast food restaurant and makes $8 an hour making generic food? No. One that is going to be a featured chef at a restaurant or be selling their food on their name? Then yes because they should be educated enough in order to know how to manage their business.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:51 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
TMC wrote:

Actually, I think there are legal issues with requiring a college degree. In my experience, working for several different high tech companies in California, they always put "requires college degree or equivalent" into job postings. I asked HR about it once, and they said it was because of legal issues. I also think you can be challenged if you require a college degree or equivalent for a job that clearly does not require that level of education.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:13 am
hoopitup wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
TMC wrote:

Actually, I think there are legal issues with requiring a college degree. In my experience, working for several different high tech companies in California, they always put "requires college degree or equivalent" into job postings. I asked HR about it once, and they said it was because of legal issues. I also think you can be challenged if you require a college degree or equivalent for a job that clearly does not require that level of education.

Exactly. Usually, each job has a qualification level related to academic proficiency it has to comply with, and you can't ask for a higher or lower level of education to reach it. It's not as simple as saying "hey, it's their business so they can ask for whatever they want".

Once again, I don't know the specific american laws regarding it, but it usually works that way.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:14 am
TMC wrote:

I would hate that rule. Plain and simple not everyone are made for academics. An NBA player certainly won't need it so why should they be forced to have it. We can't have a society where everyone has a college degree simply because a lot of jobs don't require it. It's already a problem in many countries (not sure about the US) that you have in a lot of fields an over-educated populace. E.g. the PHDs can't find jobs or work in a different trade and there's a huge lack of plumbers.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:28 am
cladden wrote:
TMC wrote:

I would hate that rule. Plain and simple not everyone are made for academics. An NBA player certainly won't need it so why should they be forced to have it. We can't have a society where everyone has a college degree simply because a lot of jobs don't require it. It's already a problem in many countries (not sure about the US) that you have in a lot of fields an over-educated populace. E.g. the PHDs can't find jobs or work in a different trade and there's a huge lack of plumbers.

Certainly the same over here...........I didnt go to University (went to College and then Uni is then to get your Degree and what not) and every job Ive ever had has been with Uni grads who studied for the sake of studying then didnt know where to go...........thats why I was able to save money and buy my own property! :mrgreen:

As far as the skills thing, yeah, most of the building trades are now being taken up by the Polish and Eastern Europeans who are flooding our shores since the gates of the European Union were opened..............its pretty tough.

I think with NBA players, the worry is that they are not going to be careful with there money (either through ignorance/mis-guidance/lack of understanding of these things) and end there career at 35 or whatever (still alot of time left of the ticker) and not be able to carry on any semblance of there life, and worse still, go bankrupt.

I heard some statistic somewhere that like 24% of athletes go bankrupt witin 5 years of retiring.............madness..............and the contributing factor behind people wanting a "forced" education, to back them up when its all over.

I do agree though, you cant force them to do anything like that.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:37 am
bigstrads wrote:I think with NBA players, the worry is that they are not going to be careful with there money (either through ignorance/mis-guidance/lack of understanding of these things) and end there career at 35 or whatever (still alot of time left of the ticker) and not be able to carry on any semblance of there life, and worse still, go bankrupt.

"The NBA... where Scottie Pippen happens". :wink:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:40 am
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:I think with NBA players, the worry is that they are not going to be careful with there money (either through ignorance/mis-guidance/lack of understanding of these things) and end there career at 35 or whatever (still alot of time left of the ticker) and not be able to carry on any semblance of there life, and worse still, go bankrupt.

"The NBA... where Scottie Pippen happens". :wink:

Yup...............hows Spree and his kids these days? still going into receivership on everything he owns?.............sad, sad state of affairs.
Previous

Return to NBA Forum