2008 MVP Candidates???

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:13 pm
My choices....

Number 3 - LeBron James

Number 2 - Chris Paul

Number 1 - ..............

Derek Fisher LOL just playin

I gotta go with Kobe Bryant this season.

Your choices???
LARGE NUTS
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:18 pm
Lebron. Kobe a close second.

After those two... I don't know. CP or Dwight could be the third option, but it's not even close to the other two.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:17 pm
gotta go with LBJ.. LBJ has a sucky supporting cast. Kobe has Gasol.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:30 pm
LBJ doesn't know how to play defense and is fourth in a crappy eastern conference.

For me its

1. Kobe: Best team in the west and has carried his team through injuries

2. Chris Paul: One of the best teams in the west and amazing numbers

3. Kevin Garnett: Best team in the league, center piece of the best team defense

4. Dwight Howard: Amazing numbers, great defense, carries the team as the only allstar.

5. Lebron: Pretty bad season but amazing numbers
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:49 pm
1. Kobe: aside from the fact that he has been deserving of an MVP for a while, his team is one of the best in the NBA and he is the undisputed leader of that team.
2. Lebron: great numbers, crappy team.
3. CP: again the leader, but IMO is too young and new to the league to get the award.
4. Howard: honorable mention, in a few years when he hones his offensive skills a lil more
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:46 pm
Kobe hands down for me. He has taken his defense to another level this year. He has no weakness.

Lebron's numbers are stagering but his team is not performing at a very high level but it is the defensive side of the ball that makes this not even close for me.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:56 pm
Got to be Kobe.

If Paul were older, I'd probably take him over them. In a few years, Paul could win the award 2-3 times.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:28 am
LeBron - Most constant player throughout the entire season, his numbers are crazy and if you take him away then the Cavs are lucky to be a 15 win team. Kobe has a chance but he needs to really show me something in the next couple of weeks though I hope he doesn't.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:38 am
But LEbrons defense is average, compared to kobe its garbage. Kobe is the more complete of the two players.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:49 am
jimbob631 wrote:But LEbrons defense is average, compared to kobe its garbage. Kobe is the more complete of the two players.

But the award if for the most valuable, not the best player. Right now, Lebron means (a bit) more to the Cavs than Kobe to the Lakers.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:58 am
TMC wrote:
jimbob631 wrote:But LEbrons defense is average, compared to kobe its garbage. Kobe is the more complete of the two players.

But the award if for the most valuable, not the best player. Right now, Lebron means (a bit) more to the Cavs than Kobe to the Lakers.

Not sure I buy that.

Lakers are not a playoff team without Kobe. With him, they are the #2 seed in a LOADED western conference

Cleveland sits 4th in a weak Eastern Conference and their current record puts them 10th in the West.

Clevelend could POTENTIALLY still make the playoffs in the East without Lebron. The 8th seed in the East is 10 games under .500.

I know this is not quite an apples to apples comparison but you can not exclude Kobe's defense and what it means to his team. His defensive intensity is a key to that team and is a big part of why this team has a great record.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:04 am
badabing8888 wrote:
TMC wrote:

Not sure I buy that.

Lakers are not a playoff team without Kobe. With him, they are the #2 seed in a LOADED western conference

Cleveland sits 4th in a weak Eastern Conference and their current record puts them 10th in the West.

Clevelend could POTENTIALLY still make the playoffs in the East without Lebron. The 8th seed in the East is 10 games under .500.

I know this is not quite an apples to apples comparison but you can not exclude Kobe's defense and what it means to his team. His defensive intensity is a key to that team and is a big part of why this team has a great record.

Heres a question then...............what would happen to each team respectively if you swapped players?

Cleveland - Kobe would basically do what he did with the Fakers 2-3 years ago, jack up everything, score 35+ PPG and Cleveland would miss the playoffs............like the Fakers did when he was playing like that.

Fakers - LeBron would gell into the triangle, have the whole thing run through him both in the post and outside and would make everyone around him better with getting better shots and distribution attitudes.

So............what does that mean?...........well, for me, LeBron is the more "valuable" player as he gets all his team mates involved and makes them better, more so than Kobe does.
Last edited by bigstrads on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:06 am
fully agree with baba. Lebron brings offense rebounding and playmaking to his team while kobe does all that plus plays defense and does it in a much tougher western conference.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:44 am
bigstrads wrote:
badabing8888 wrote:
TMC wrote:

Not sure I buy that.

Heres a question then...............what would happen to each team respectively if you swapped players?

Cleveland - Kobe would basically do what he did with the Fakers 2-3 years ago, jack up everything, score 35+ PPG and Cleveland would miss the playoffs............like the Fakers did when he was playing like that.

Fakers - LeBron would gell into the triangle, have the whole thing run through him both in the post and outside and would make everyone around him better with getting better shots and distribution attitudes.

So............what does that mean?...........well, for me, LeBron is the more "valuable" player as he gets all his team mates involved and makes them better, more so than Kobe does.

Could not disagree with that more
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:52 am
badabing8888 wrote:Lakers are not a playoff team without Kobe. With him, they are the #2 seed in a LOADED western conference

Ok, agreed.

badabing8888 wrote:Clevelend could POTENTIALLY still make the playoffs in the East without Lebron. The 8th seed in the East is 10 games under .500.

But I don't agree with this. Cleveland, without Lebron, would share the record of the Heat.

I'm not saying that Lebron is the best player. I'm just saying that, given the chance of picking a group of teammates, the Lakers roster looks MUCH better than the Cavs one (Odom alone is better than anybody they have in Cleveland... not to count Gasol, Bynum or Farmar... any of those guys would start for the Cavs over their own guys). That's what makes Lebron more valuable, IMO.
Next

Return to NBA Forum