Uncertainty in Indiana

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:59 pm
This article was on espn.com's main page. It sounds to me like Larry Bird will be out...thoughts?

Even Larry Bird isn't sure of his future with the Indiana Pacers as ownership pledges big changes for the troubled franchise.

Bird, the team president, said Monday he can't be certain whether he will be back next season, The Indianapolis Star reported.

"I don't know," Bird said when asked if he believed he and team CEO Donnie Walsh would return to the front office next season. "We'll just wait and see."

The Pacers are 26-41 and have seen a number of players make headlines for bad behavior or trouble with the law in the past few years. Two weeks ago, Herb Simon, who co-owns the team with his brother Mel, said that he'd had enough and pledged changes would be made -- and that everything except ownership of the team would be on the table.

"If it's changing everybody, it's changing everybody," Bird said, according to the Star. "I would like an opportunity to try to do it. ... I think there's a lot of blame that can be passed around, and obviously it starts at the top. When you're at the top, you have to take the hits like everybody else."

One of the questions hovering over the team is whether Walsh will return as CEO. New York-area media outlets reported Monday that according to sources, Walsh has had preliminary discussions with the Knicks about replacing Isiah Thomas as team president. Walsh declined to speak with reporters at the pregame shootaround on Monday.

"Donnie's been a great man to work for and I love everything about him," Bird said Monday, according to the Star. "He paid his dues, came up from the bottom, assistant coach, was on the bench, got in the front office and had a fine career. He's just as sick over [the team's performance] as I am."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:41 pm
*Sigh*...

Michael Jordan. Larry Bird. Zeke Thomas. Kevin McHale. Elgin Baylor. All trashing their legacies, as players, by being incompetent GMs. They need to follow Chris Mullin's example of doing it right... or, if that's not an option, Magic Johnson's choice as commentator, not VP.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:05 pm
32 wrote:*Sigh*...

Michael Jordan. Larry Bird. Zeke Thomas. Kevin McHale. Elgin Baylor. All trashing their legacies, as players, by being incompetent GMs. They need to follow Chris Mullin's example of doing it right... or, if that's not an option, Magic Johnson's choice as commentator, not VP.

Steve Kerr may be on his way as well, if the Shaq thing doesn't turn around in the Playoffs

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:25 pm
sleandres wrote:
32 wrote:*Sigh*...

Steve Kerr may be on his way as well, if the Shaq thing doesn't turn around in the Playoffs

in all fairness tho...kerr wasnt a great player. :mrgreen:
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:40 am
That list just goes to show Jerry West is the exception, not the rule.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:49 am
Thunder wrote:That list just goes to show Jerry West is the exception, not the rule.

Well, Jerry... along with Mully and Dumars, thus far, is what it looks like. Danny Ferry is still pretty incompetent in Cleveland. Getting LeBron was an idiot-proof manuver that ANYONE would have done. What's he done besides that?
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:55 pm
32 wrote:
Thunder wrote:That list just goes to show Jerry West is the exception, not the rule.

Well, Jerry... along with Mully and Dumars, thus far, is what it looks like. Danny Ferry is still pretty incompetent in Cleveland. Getting LeBron was an idiot-proof manuver that ANYONE would have done. What's he done besides that?

agreed, though I am sure Dumars would like that Darko pick back and Mully has a few moves he'd reconsider...Ferry's move from Ben and wallyworld is a good one, though...one more piece and Cleveland will be a true contender. Makes it that much more amazing that Lebron singlehandedly dragged the arguably worst finals team in NBA history to that place. How can the MVP race not be between him and CP?
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:45 am
I don't understand how Cleveland is playing so poorly with those new heads. This is a squad and a half:

PG - Delonte West / Daniel Gibson
SG - Sasha Pavlovic / Damon Jones
SF - LeBron James / Wally Szerbiak
PF - Ben Wallace / Joe Smith
C - Zydrunas Ilgauskaus / Anderson Varejao

Even their 2nd string players seem like they could take a team in the East to an 8th seed...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:51 pm
32 wrote:I don't understand how Cleveland is playing so poorly with those new heads. This is a squad and a half:

Even their 2nd string players seem like they could take a team in the East to an 8th seed...

Me too.

I also don't understand why Miami is doing what they are with a team of...

PG - Jason Williams / Marcus Banks / Chris Quinn
SG - Dorrell Wright / Daequan Cook
SF - Shawn Marion / Ricky Davis
PF - Udonis Haslem
C - Mark Blount / Earl Barron

Haslem, Marion, Davis, and Wright can play. I'm pretty sure 4 guys can do a lot in the East. Yet, it's not showing. What's wrong?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:00 pm
If Miami ran a small-ball lineup of Williams, Wade (prior to his injury), Davis, Marion, and Haslem, they'd wreck shop. Blount is also servicable, as is Marcus Banks, as is Dorell Wright. I don't get it either.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:41 am
First, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Danny Ferry became Cleveland's GM a year after Lebron was drafted. Jim Paxon was still the GM during that draft.

xbaywarrior wrote:I also don't understand why Miami is doing what they are with a team of...

PF - Udonis Haslem

Haslem, Marion, Davis, and Wright can play. I'm pretty sure 4 guys can do a lot in the East. Yet, it's not showing. What's wrong?

It's called tanking. Marion hasn't even played half the games since he was traded. They want to add Beasley no matter what it takes, and if that means losing games on purpose, so be it...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:40 am
TMC wrote:It's called tanking. Marion hasn't even played half the games since he was traded. They want to add Beasley no matter what it takes, and if that means losing games on purpose, so be it...

Yeah... I hope they get screwed in the lottery to somebody. They can get OJ if they want him. :wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:56 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
32 wrote:I don't understand how Cleveland is playing so poorly with those new heads. This is a squad and a half:

Me too.

I also don't understand why Miami is doing what they are with a team of...

PF - Udonis Haslem

At this point (and really for a couple of months) Miami is going for the top pick IMHO.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:31 am
Hasn't Miami learned anything from Boston and Memphis about tanking...?

If you try and screw with the system, David Stern will make dubly sure that you get the 4-8th pick in the draft. Definitely not #1, though.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:09 pm
32 wrote:Hasn't Miami learned anything from Boston and Memphis about tanking...?

If you try and screw with the system, David Stern will make dubly sure that you get the 4-8th pick in the draft. Definitely not #1, though.

There's another side to it, and that's that Miami is a big market for the NBA, much bigger than other teams that will be high in the lottery (Memphis, Oklahoma, Milwaukee...) If Stern is gonna fix anything, he might want the Heat to get that first pick.

Return to NBA Forum