Lebron and his Vogue cover

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:22 am
Maybe this is one for that possible new "Gay Forum" but Im having the stones here to show you guys my artistic side, so dont rip me a new one too badly. :mrgreen:

Now, Im sure many of you have heard of the Vogue cover with Lebron on it............mostly because Lebron is only third man to be on the cover of Vogue (Richard Gere and the Cloonster, being the others).

But.............when I look at it, I cant believe this is the shot they used =

I have an eye for photography and have over the years been exposed to and around some high brow shot making and taking (Im trying desperately to try and make my point without sounding too "eehhhhm")..............but this photo is terrible............and the surprising thing is that it was shot by Annie Leibovitz (who is a legend in photography).

Lebron looks deranged, and Giselle looks like she isnt there (she wasnt digitally put it, she was there) not only in that her pose is awful but she looks like she is crapping herself and doesnt belong there.............for me, to have only the third man in the mag's history on the cover, Id want to make him as smart and be a good representation of man as possible............a bad ass suit, looking graceful and like he belongs on the cover of a high fashion magazine..............but theyve made him look like a big, brutish madman.

Now, there are some who would take racist conotations from this choice of shot, Ive thought of it but I wont go there.................but simply, given the vast array of options to represent Lebron, basketball, athletes and MAN!..........I think Leibovitz chose a very wrong option and one which, although the issue is about fitness, is a wasted opportunity to do something rare and memorable.

Ohh well, probably just me, bring on the insults! :mrgreen:

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:29 am
I wasn't much of a fan of the shot too. I think the shot fits Lebron's personality, but it seems so much out of place with Giselle in there with him. That's the kind of pose I'd want to see for a portrait of just him. Lebron can pull it off, kind of, but I associate the pose with KG. And now that I think about it, Lebron does KG's pre-jumpball thing too (with the powder). I thought Lebron wanted to follow MJ's footsteps?!

Back to the topic, I didn't bother looking up who did it... but now that I know it's Annie Leibovitz, it's left a bad taste in my mouth. I need a shower.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:35 am
epp1e wrote:I wasn't much of a fan of the shot too. I think the shot fits Lebron's personality, but it seems so much out of place with Giselle in there with him. That's the kind of pose I'd want to see for a portrait of just him. Lebron can pull it off, kind of, but I associate the pose with KG. And now that I think about it, Lebron does KG's pre-jumpball thing too (with the powder). I thought Lebron wanted to follow MJ's footsteps?!

Back to the topic, I didn't bother looking up who did it... but now that I know it's Annie Leibovitz, it's left a bad taste in my mouth. I need a shower.

Agreed, if Lebron was by himself and if it was for SI and whatnot..............then fine.............but Vogue? the art book of fashion..........just weird and waste of time and opportunity given the 3rd man cover status.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 am
bigstrads wrote:Ohh well, probably just me, bring on the insults! :mrgreen:

As you ask for them...

:mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:16 am
TMC wrote:

As you ask for them...

Real class man..........just like you said. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:18 am
bigstrads wrote:Real class man..........just like you said. :wink:

Hey, it ain't my fault...

bigstrads wrote:bring on the insults! :mrgreen:

As for the pic, Gisele makes any pick look great. But this one sucks.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:26 am
TMC wrote:

As you ask for them...

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 am
the cover is in an old story line - the beauty and the beast. though i don't know what the beast has to do with fashion, its point is simple as this - who is the dominating one - the beauty or the beast? altogether it's a symbol of our postmodern barbarism - beauties and beasts - the ideals of contemporary man.
i don't like it.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

Return to NBA Forum