Byron Scott would like the NBA to introduce a four-point line

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Fri May 20, 2016 8:27 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/byron-scott-would-like-the-nba-to-introduce-a-four-point-line-204926158.html

Byron Scott would like the NBA to introduce a four-point line

It isn’t as if the Los Angeles Lakers were completely averse to the three-point line last season. Byron Scott infamously blamed it for several societal ills prior to the team’s 21-win season, but four teams shot fewer threes than the Lakers last year, and the team’s mark of 19 attempts per game would have been a bit higher had Kobe Bryant and Nick Young (who combined to shoot a whopping 11 per game despite poor percentages) not missed 87 games.

[Follow Dunks Don't Lie on Tumblr: The best slams from all of basketball]

It turns out it wasn’t even the three-pointer Byron Scott that was afraid of. It appears as if he was merely waiting to embrace the four-point shot. A shot that, currently, does not exist.

From the Orange County Register:

“I think the 3-point line is exciting,” he said. “I would add another line and make a 4-point line as well. I’d say let’s go another three or four feet back and that’s a 4-pointer.”

A four-point line would also be treated with such derision, as most would pinpoint the genesis of a new line on either MTV’s old ‘Rock and Jock’ basketball matches, or Antoine Walker’s infamous (and possibly apocryphal, as I’ve heard it credited to gunners from the 1980s) comment that he shoots so many three-pointers “because there are no fours.”

Many NBA players are certainly capable of mustering the strength to nail 27-footers, but for a player that has made a point for his entire basketball life to shoot from as close to the three-point line as possible, a new length of shot probably isn’t widely practiced. From there you would have issues with long rebounds, and the morphing guesswork as to what would make a great percentage (30 percent might seem unseemly, but the eventual payoff would be big) from a shot that would rarely send you to the line.

It’s also worth noting that the three-point line has acted as the league’s go-to bugaboo before.

As a response to a decline in scoring, the league moved the line in to 22 feet in 1994, making it a continuous half-circle and the same distance for straightaway shots as it was from the corner. Players half-joked about the rash of three-pointers that would be hoisted by those that shouldn’t be that far away from the basket (Vlade Divac’s name was mentioned), and scoring continued to drop even as three-point percentages rose. One team, Dick Motta’s 1995-96 Dallas Mavericks, took a whopping 25 attempts per game – unheard of at the time (they would have tied for tenth in 2014-15).

What the NBA didn’t realize is that it was its strict ban on zone defense (which encouraged a slow, stagnant two-man offensive game), its refusal to crack down on hand-checking, and the stubbornness of the era’s slow-down coaches that were getting in the way of 110-point nights. Bringing the line in only added to a crowded interior landscape, as teams attempted to work on the two-man games and low post moves of the day, and it was moved back to 23-feet, nine-inches after just three seasons.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Interesting concept. I think if they want to add a 4 point shot, it should be from beyond half court. Best is to leave things as they are.

What do you all think.