2012 Free Agent Thread

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:14 am
I think a lot of the Lakers woe's last year was Kobe's 43 shooting percentage. That should improve with Steve Nash facilitating the ball. It all comes down to match ups though and the Thunder match up well with the Lakers.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 am
Dallas certainly has turned it around a bit with their recent signings, but I don't think Collison is a great PG and you need that to be a real good team, at least with what they've got. They should be in the playoffs at least, but I've got a feeling it won't work and they'll miss the playoffs.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 am
I think the playoffs will look like this, or something close

Thunder
Lakers
Grizzlies
Spurs
Mavericks
Warriors
Clippers
Nuggets
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 pm
I still think the Nuggets are one of the best West teams and will probably finish in the top 4 after their experience in the playoffs. Clips also haven't changed, added Crawford, Odom and Grant Hill actually, so likely they won't fall.

The Warriors making the playoffs really is the biggest if, but the roster is there. Really looks more and more like a veteran big is a need. KMart is looking like the best option. Other bigs that could fit well are Jeff Foster and Ben Wallace, who would add toughness, rebounding and defense.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:03 am
I think the Nuggets seeding depends on Mcgee's development.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:16 am
McGee resigned with the Nuiggets for four years at 44 million. Personally, I don't think that's over paying, as McGee produces well and is so young still that he should only get better. If he goes as planeed, that might actually be a cheap contract for the Nuggets.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:30 pm
WojYahooNBA: Minnesota is finalizing a two-year, $20M contract with free agent forward Andrei Kirilenko

That's an obsene amount for a player that hasn't played in the nba for over a year and when he was here didn't play that great, just solid. He was the Euro player of the year, as well as the Defensive player of the year there, but 10 million a year, I wouldn't do that. The TWolves have to hope he gets back to being the ace he was some five years ago to earn that money.

Landry, Warriors going separate ways?
1:50
PM ET
Golden State Warriors

Multiple reports over the past week indicated that Golden State was the frontrunner to land Carl Landry, but that may no longer be the case according to Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group.

"...Landry, it seems, is going to get a larger offer elsewhere. (Charlotte can offer more than GSW.) He would like to play for the Warriors, but it's sounds unlikely he'd take less money to play for GSW," writes Thompson. "Landry's camp, no doubt, thinks the Warriors should go into the tax zone to give Landry closer to the midlevel. And the Warriors' refusal to do so, at this point, isn't exactly a vote of confidence for Landry."

That could put the Bobcats in good position, but if they don't come to the table with significantly more money than the Warriors, Landry could settle for joining the more talented team. In this case, there's no question that it's the Warriors, which could very well be a playoff team in 2012-13.

- Joe Kaiser

I'm glad Landry probably won't come here. He doesn't give what the team needs and I think a good backup big that does give what the team needs can be had for no more than two million a year. The FO needs to go hard for Birdman or KMart.

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:45 pm
migya wrote:
WojYahooNBA: Minnesota is finalizing a two-year, $20M contract with free agent forward Andrei Kirilenko

That's an obsene amount for a player that hasn't played in the nba for over a year and when he was here didn't play that great, just solid. He was the Euro player of the year, as well as the Defensive player of the year there, but 10 million a year, I wouldn't do that. The TWolves have to hope he gets back to being the ace he was some five years ago to earn that money.

Landry, Warriors going separate ways?
1:50
PM ET
Golden State Warriors

Multiple reports over the past week indicated that Golden State was the frontrunner to land Carl Landry, but that may no longer be the case according to Marcus Thompson of the Bay Area News Group.

"...Landry, it seems, is going to get a larger offer elsewhere. (Charlotte can offer more than GSW.) He would like to play for the Warriors, but it's sounds unlikely he'd take less money to play for GSW," writes Thompson. "Landry's camp, no doubt, thinks the Warriors should go into the tax zone to give Landry closer to the midlevel. And the Warriors' refusal to do so, at this point, isn't exactly a vote of confidence for Landry."

That could put the Bobcats in good position, but if they don't come to the table with significantly more money than the Warriors, Landry could settle for joining the more talented team. In this case, there's no question that it's the Warriors, which could very well be a playoff team in 2012-13.

- Joe Kaiser

I'm glad Landry probably won't come here. He doesn't give what the team needs and I think a good backup big that does give what the team needs can be had for no more than two million a year. The FO needs to go hard for Birdman or KMart.

I would bring back McGuire before birdman or Kmart. Their personalities would be to disruptive for this young team. Also McGuire is a better perimeter defender which makes him more useful as a lot of teams are playing a stretch 4 out there.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 pm
Tim Duncan cut his paycheck in half, so that his San Antonio Spurs could remain whole

There are unfortunate realities that capped-out NBA teams have to suffer through as they head from one capped-out season to the next. Changing the face of a franchise is no easy task When attempting to switch personnel while over the salary cap, you're more or less stuck with what you had last season. Luckily for the San Antonio Spurs, they finished last season with Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker. And, luckily for Spurs fans, Duncan's willingness to cut his pay in half next season will allow the team to keep all three and retain help for the aging trio.

The massive pay cut Duncan took likely represents the last contract of his NBA career — from $21.16 million in 2011-12 to $9.65 million in 2012-13. It's a move that helps the Spurs vie for a championship in his waning years nearly as much as Duncan's play helped win titles at his peak.

And it didn't go unnoticed by the great Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News:

After being the third-highest paid player in the league last season, behind only Lakers star Kobe Bryant ($25.24 million) and Boston's Kevin Garnett ($21.25 million), Duncan next season will be the fourth-highest paid Spur.

[…]

A two-time NBA Most Valuable Player, the 36-year-old Duncan will see his salary rise to $10.36 million for the 2013-14 season. The team captain is guaranteed $10 million for the 2014-15 season, but he has an opt-out clause.

Duncan's pay cut had been expected, but few thought he would agree to a drop as significant as this.

The dip was more or less sealed when San Antonio made a surprising trade-deadline deal in March to acquire former Spur (and, it should be noted, formerly disgruntled) Stephen Jackson, and his $10.6 million salary. Retaining Duncan with a double-figure salary would place four different Spurs (alongside Ginobili and Parker) in that realm, and that's just not good business sense.

Because a cap is a cap. And even if the Spurs wanted to go all out and dive into luxury tax territory, their flexibility in acquiring players would be greatly reduced.

Money matters to the Spurs, who rarely pay the tax. Duncan's new deal let the team re-sign guard Danny Green, keep Boris Diaw, take advantage of the last year of Jackson's time with the Spurs, re-sign Patty Mills and add 2009 pick Nando De Colo -- who you can trust is a real person because Mike Monroe wouldn't lead us astray.

Duncan's contract also puts the team in a good spot next summer, when it's time to extend Manu Ginobili's contract, and possibly match offers for center Tiago Splitter, who will become a restricted free agent.

None of this cinches the fifth ring of Duncan's illustrious career. But with sound spending and a deep squad the Spurs have a chance. And because Duncan wasn't offended that the Spurs asked that he not approximate his last contract, he'll have a happy and deep team to work with.

Seems a fair tradeoff for all involved.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Duncan showing he is team orientated and knows that to make his already great career even better he had to sacrifice some money to keep talent on the Spurs team. I hope he gets at least another championship, more than anyone else in the nba.

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:29 am
Duncan is one of the best guys in the league on and off. I like watching pop's interviews too. Manu is is fun to watch because he is so different and so good from other SG out there. CAnt believe they are able to keep that team together with out spending that much. Only person I don't like on that team is Parker.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 am
Stephen Jackson is also an expirer, so if they're smart they'll use him alone or in a package for a very good player. Seriously, Duncan has only got two to three years left and they won't get another guy like him or David Robinson in draft soon, so they really have to make some deals to stay a top team. I'd trade SJack and one or two of their young guys, like Green and Blair for a resigned Bynum in a trade to get Dwight to Lakers or resigned JSmith or Horford of Atlanta (as they have gotten worse and look like rebuilding). San Antonio could really make a big move o keep them a top team for years to come and really, they need to).

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm
Nate Robinson has gone to the Bulls and will backup Hinrich while Rose is out.
Previous

Return to NBA Forum