We may very well be looking at the GOAT...

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:01 pm
Kevin Durant.

He has everything. Absolutely everything. Doesn't overshoot (how could he?), doesn't overpass, plays defense, rebounds, runs, dives, scores BETTER than anyone in the league. In MORE WAYS. Old school, true sensai of the game type ways. He is the Shujinsu of the NBA; he has borrowed the best of everyone. He dunks like Dr. J. Straight up, he jams the ball like Julius Erving. Stuffs one handed soaring spikes over centers, outruns guards on the break and barks at them after he wallops then with a swinging, two-handed stuff. He swoops through the lane and uses rolls and glass like George Gervin or Connie Hawkins. His splashy jumper has no boundaries; he is a shooter the likes of Rick Barry or Larry Bird.

And he has begun the steamroll towards the first of his many NBA titles. While all of us were enthralled with our self righteous annointment of LeBron James (and I'm as guilty as anyone), Kevin Durant went out and TOOK the crown we couldn't stop resizing for Bron.

This isn't a debate on the NBA Finals.

This is acknowledgement in the infantile phase of finally seeing it:

Kevin Durant may very well be the greatest ever. And years from now, I will officially say that I started believing it in June of 2012. And that's all I've got to say about that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:40 am
Durant certainly is something. I still think Lebron is better and still by a fair margin, but this finals series will show more closely who is better. Lebron is more allround, being a playmaker for others a bit more and a better defender right now.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:11 am
I agree with migya. LeBron is the best (and I am no LeBron fan). But Durant might be the smarter player, who understands situations a bit better. With that in mind, he can easily win more rings than LeBron (sort of what you were inferring to 32).
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:27 pm
migya wrote:Durant certainly is something. I still think Lebron is better and still by a fair margin, but this finals series will show more closely who is better. Lebron is more allround, being a playmaker for others a bit more and a better defender right now.

I agree, currently LeBron is better. Not because he won the championship, but because he played better. Durant failed to get others involved and failed to get more touches in his spots when the game was getting out of hand. He let Westbrook make the plays, good or bad. Westbrook is great, but Durant needs to be the leader for this team to win it all.
So close, yet still a lot to learn.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:05 pm
While I don't regret any of what I said about Durant, I must admit, I haven't seen ANYONE dominate a series the way LeBron dominated the Thunder. Not even Jordan. LeBron isn't in that Jordan-Kobe mold, like Durant; he's in a more Magic-Bird sort of mold. We all love to hate Miami, but my god, I can't remember the last time I saw anything like what LeBron did this past week.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:03 am
Lebron has reached the level of Jordan in his performances. If he can do this for another five or so seasons AND get at least five championships, as well as another three MVPs at least, he will then be considered in a conversation with Jordan for greatest ever.

Jordan did do it much more spectacular and against more difficult competition. Lebron, as someone stated in the playoffs thread (forget who right now), scored mostly on drives and within a few feet. Jordan did it from everywhere.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to NBA Forum