Deron's Top Priority To Put Himself In Winning Situation

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:21 am
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/220745/Williams_Top_Priority_Will_Be_To_Put_Himself_In_Winning_Situation

Williams' Top Priority Will Be To Put Himself In Winning Situation
Apr 28, 2012 10:46 AM EDT

Deron Williams said putting himself in the best opportunity to win will be his top priority in free agency.

“I want to win, that’s first and foremost,’’ said Williams. “So I’m going to go where I feel we have the best chance to win. I know we might not win a championship in the first year or two, but hopefully, (the place I go) has the chances of building something special, and has flexibility — just somewhere where I believe they’re headed in the right direction.’’

Williams will consider re-signing with the Nets ahead of their move to Brooklyn.

“I’m still looking at all the possibilities here,’’ he said. “I went to the arena a couple days ago and saw how it was, and it’s going to be an exciting arena. It’s going to be a great place to play. And I’ve always been confident in this organization. Even though I was opting out I always said that doesn’t mean I’m not re-signing with the Nets; and that still remains the same.’’

Training for Team USA begins July 6 while free agency starts on July 1. Williams hopes to make his decision by the time he leaves.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Obviously Deron is looking to go to a contender, but with a healthy roster, how seriously do the Warriors look as a contender type and moreso, how does Deron likely see the Warriors as a destination?

I think Deron does not see the team as a place he would go, at least not right now, but if Myers and Lacob were to meet with him and work him over, about how the team has improved and how they will improve even more very shortly, then maybe he'd have a good think about coming here. Dallas doesn't look that good right now. Kidd is set to leave, Terry is out of contract and getting older himself, Dirk also not getting younger and looking like he slowed a bit this season and no Center that is good enough to start for a good team.

Ofcourse, we have no cap space to sign Deron, so only a sign and trade could be done for him to come here, but definately doable and as long as only Curry and one of the bad contracts went for him, I'd be up for that. Curry and RJ for Deron is better than New Jersey will get in most trades for him, as he is free to go for nothing.

Definately interesting where Deron ends up, because he could make a playoff team that is about 7th or 8th seed a contender.

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 pm
I wonder how all those Utah fans feel about D Will??? They were so upset about losing that pick, but they shouldn't be upset at GSW, but rather Deron for being a weesle and forcing Utah to trade him... Only right after he single handedly made one of the best coaches ever decide to quit mid way through the season....
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:59 pm
I see Deron as the guard version of Carmelo.

Has all the tools, can be flat-out unstoppable... But while I know he'll give me fantasy gold, I'm just as sure his team might get bounced before the playoffs (even if he's fully healthy). Some team (betting Dallas) will overpay to get him. He'll look great in a high-octane Mav's offense with the ball in his hands all the time, but Dallas won't win a title with him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Return to NBA Forum