2014 Free Agency

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:42 am
Just thought I'd create this thread for any discussion regarding this current free agency.

Have seen many overpriced contracts handed out to average players. Avery Bradley got paid something like 8 million a year for a few years to stay in Boston. Just recently Frye signed for 8 million a year for four years by Orlando, a baffling signing by a team that needs to lose and keep money to sign it's youngsters over the next three years. Orlando also signed Ben Gordon for two years and 9 million, which is alot for a player that hardly played last season and has been pretty bad for a few years now. Our FO's signing of Livingston for the MLE is good value.

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:53 am
Yeah, it has been a weird free agency. Superstars taking pay cuts, but role players banking in… crazy world.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:32 pm
Just read Charlotte has offered Gordon Hayward four years and 63 million. That's outrageous and anyone saying Lee's contract is overpaid has to look at this.

Dallas offered Parsons three years and 46 million. Just as outrageous.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:47 pm
migya wrote:Just read Charlotte has offered Gordon Hayward four years and 63 million. That's outrageous and anyone saying Lee's contract is overpaid has to look at this.

Migya, I couldn't agree more. They're both good players but they're not worth that much.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:55 am
Ringo wrote:
migya wrote:Just read Charlotte has offered Gordon Hayward four years and 63 million. That's outrageous and anyone saying Lee's contract is overpaid has to look at this.

Migya, I couldn't agree more. They're both good players but they're not worth that much.

What it means is that Klay knows he can get the max so now I'm really alright with him being traded with Lee for Love, even with Budinger added, as he is on 5 million a year for two more years. Getting KMartin, who Minnesota wants to unload, is undesirable but he does score and get to the foul line and with the salary he is on, it is not much when compared to the ridiculous contracts being handed out so far this offseason.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:09 pm
Just when I thought that Parsons and Hayward's contracts were the worst that we'd see this offseason, the Heat panic after losing Lebron and give Chris Bosh 118 million over 5 years. :roll: :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:05 am
Let them, that'll be another team that falls to handing out too much money. We actually look great salary wise after this offseason so far and Curry is the best valued player in the nba right now. If the Heat FO are smart, they'll try to get Monroe and Bledsoe quick. If they can get them all for average of no more than 14 million, maybe they can get Deng as well and transition well. Wade is rumoured to be chased by Chicago.

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:27 am
I just saw that Charlotte signed Lance Stephenson for 27 million over 3 years. That's a great deal for the Hornets who are slowly building a solid team for the Eastern Division.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:39 am
Hornets will be a top 4 team in East. Only Chicago, Cleveland, and Toronto are better IMO. Heat and Pacers round out the top 6. It will be a dog fight for those final 2 spots.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 am
Wasn't that deal that Stephenson signed with the Hornets less than what Indiana was thinking of offering him? That should make MKG the 6th man now.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:51 pm
migya wrote:Wasn't that deal that Stephenson signed with the Hornets less than what Indiana was thinking of offering him? That should make MKG the 6th man now.

No, he got slightly more money from the Hornets deal but more importantly for Stephenson, he got a shorter deal which makes it possible for him to sign an upgraded deal in 2 or 3 years if he continues to improve.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:30 am
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24638510/shawn-marion-likely-leaving-dallas-it-was-memorable-baby

Shawn Marion, likely leaving Dallas: 'It was memorable, baby'
By James Herbert | NBA writer
July 26, 2014 9:08 pm ET

Shawn Marion is likely leaving the Dallas Mavericks in free agency, and he spoke to the Dallas Morning News' Eddie Sefko about his five years with the team.

"It was memorable, baby," Marion said. "It's hard to say it wasn't fun. We had a great run and made the playoffs four of five years and won a championship. We set goals every year, and most years we reached them. And to win a championship, it was unbelievable. I wish we could have made a couple more runs at it, but it is what it is."

As for his future, Marion still wants to play. But he's in no hurry to land anywhere. He knows with the Mavericks' roster filled up that he won't be in Dallas.

He'd like to have a shot to win a championship, but he knows those are difficult to come by.

"If I see something really comfortable, then I'll do it," Marion said. "Right now, I'm just staying with my [newborn] son and relaxing. It's only July, man. We got two more months. We'll just wait and see how it works out."

The 36-year-old forward added that he is building his dream home in Dallas, where he'll live after he retires. He averaged 11.6 points and 7.0 rebounds as a Maverick overall, shooting 50 percent from the field as he transitioned from a star to a role player.

Even last season, Marion defended point guards and power forwards, and his 36-percent mark from long range was his best in more than a decade. Dallas made a great move in signing small forward Chandler Parsons, but Marion can still play. He only missed six games last year, averaging 31.7 minutes per contest. For a contending team in need of a utility guy, he could be a bargain and a difference maker.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Marion is near the end of his career but if he took the veteran minimum I'd really like to have him. He'd add rebounding and defense off the bench as well as still good scoring. He does it all and has a great attitude. If Barnes is still here he'd teach him well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 pm
I would like to have him as well… for the minimum.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:50 pm
I would only want Marion if we trade Barnes and Green in a package for Love. I wouldn't want Marion taking minutes away from the 2 young guys who need to be on the court to keep developing and improving.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:54 am
Ringo wrote:I would only want Marion if we trade Barnes and Green in a package for Love. I wouldn't want Marion taking minutes away from the 2 young guys who need to be on the court to keep developing and improving.

I agree but also think that he has much to teach, especially Barnes. Marion does the little things that mean alot to a team being a winner. It was better seen when he was in Phoenix where his rebounding, defense and scoring off broken plays was very important to them. If he stayed here for two or three seasons, maybe he could stay after he retired as a player coach and help the likes of Barnes even more.

Return to NBA Forum