Rush vs Nate: Early Offseason Debate

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who would you rather retain after the season?

Poll ended at Thu May 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Brandon Rush
46%
Nate Robinson
15%
Both
38%
Neither
No votes

Total votes : 13

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 pm
Brandon Rush and Nate Robinson have both helped establish a bench identity for a typically-thin Warriors roster. Their respective energies off the bench have been infectious; they've both hit big shots and they both have fueled 4th quarter comebacks for Golden State. With both being upcoming free agents, who is the better long-term keep? Or is retaining both of their services important enough to warrant skimping on contracts for potential starting centers like JaVelle McGee or Chris Kaman? Here are some pro-and-con reminders for all:

BRANDON RUSH

+ Prototypical size (6'6" SG), bigger than every guard besides Thompson.
+ Ideal attitude for bench player: seemingly unphased at the idea of starting.
+ Above-average on-ball defender and spot-up shooter.

- Shoots worse inside the arc; 5 points lower than his 3-point average.
- Slightly turnover prone.
- As an ideal bench player on a winning team, could be overpriced if retained.

NATE ROBINSON

+ Alters game tempo; terrific change-up against a tough defense.
+ Emotional player that excels in crunch time.
+ Streaky, but fills it up from everywhere when he's hot.

- One of the most undersized players in the NBA; creates a size problem with Curry/Ellis.
- Intense defender, will slap and pick up cheap fouls when he needs a rest.
- Baron Davis syndrome; gets extremely 3-happy despite being a convincingly below average shooter from long range.

BOTH

+ Retains, arguably, the best back-up backcourt battery in the league.

- Will chip heavily into the $11 millions of cap space that could be used as a major advantage in a sign-and-trade for a RFA that wants to get paid.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 pm
I say both. We could have made more room in cap if we had amnestied Biedrins. We'll find some way to do something with him later on, I believe, and we do need good bench players, that don't want to be starters, no matter the cost.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:04 pm
I would definitely love to keep both, and I'm pretty jaded from the DeAndre Jordan ordeal so I almost have no motivation to even try bidding for RFA's, but if there is even the slightest chance of obtaining a starting level 7-footer... I just can't help but believe that's the missing piece.

I figure both (if they finish anywhere close to where they're at now), will command over $4 million apiece. I'm guessing Rush finds a 3-year, $16 million deal somewhere and Robinson will probably get a 1-year try out at $5.5 million. That's $10 million and change on those 2 alone. That almost certainly means McGuirre (who is a tremendous defensive catalyst that can be had on the cheap) will almost certainly be forced to walk.

I just have a feeling that both will be offered more than the Warriors (ideally) want to pay. My pick is Rush, whose better sized and (from what I understand) will be restricted so the Warriors will be able to match.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:26 pm
Leaning towards both, but it would depend on how much cap space we have, how much they demand, and more importantly if Curry or Ellis gets shipped out. If one leaves, and I assume it would be for a bigger player, we would need to keep both for guard depth.

Agree with 32's comments about RFA's, and I still think the stench of the last 15 years is going to keep any star UFA from coming here unless we grossly overpay them, which then defeats the purpose.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:25 am
Both of course. I want all our bench back. Even Brown but with a cheaper contract.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 am
Both have been fined, but it will depend on who is our starting 5. Hobbes pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:45 am
You guys would rather keep our bench brigade than find a starting center?

There's only a finite amount of money to be spent. Robinson, Rush, Brown, McGuirre... They'll all make at least what they made this year, and the namesakes of the topic should both get a pay raise. That means no Kaman or McGee. Would you guys really prefer that option?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:01 am
You slowly see that Nate Robinson is reverting back to his old self. At the beginning, he was playing defense and sharing the ball. As he's becoming more accustomed to being a Warriors, he's starting to be a black hole. He's a defensive liability whoever he's guarding and Mark Jackson's zone defense isn't cutting it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:55 am
I'm not as concerned with Nate's defense; I think he's a tremendous pest for smaller guards; he takes the challenge of guarding speedsters extremely personally.

I'm more concerned with him launching 3 attempts beyond the arc per night. Thankfully, he's back above 30% on the season, but he definitely has a little Baron Davis syndrome in him (the chucked 3 pointer with 18 seconds left on the shot clock disorder).

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:30 am
I would say both, great energy of the bench, Nate is a bit out control at times but its worth the risk.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:52 pm
I think Nate's energy on the court, and in the locker room is contangous for this young roster. I think it is important for this team to have someone with that much energy who gets the rest of the team excited. Key thing is, how much will he demand? Being a backup PG that other teams didn't want, we may be able to keep him for 3 million or less.

As far as Rush, I say give him a qualifying offer and see what other teams offer him. If it is 5+ then that would be too much as we have other guys who can step in. I like his defense and his shooting. He also doesn't get enamored with the 3, and I like that he takes it to the hole. His numbers have been coming down though, so if that trend continues other teams might pass on him.

Also, don't think there is a FA Center out there that is worth 12million (around what we can afford). There is McGee, who is a excellent athlete/shoot blocker, but Wash would match that easily. They can't afford to loose their Center unless they get one in the draft (Drumound). But if they get the 1st pick they would probably go with Davis at PF and keep McGee.

So, I say keep the bench, and wait for a more affordable center. We don't have to have a dominant Center. Just one who has size, and can play D and rebound. Even Udoh at C at times was nice, but he is undersized, so why not bring back Kwame. He is affordable and has size. There are some C that will be available in the 2nd round too that are not that shaby. And we have NJ 2nd rounder.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:48 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I think Nate's energy on the court, and in the locker room is contangous for this young roster. I think it is important for this team to have someone with that much energy who gets the rest of the team excited. Key thing is, how much will he demand? Being a backup PG that other teams didn't want, we may be able to keep him for 3 million or less.

As far as Rush, I say give him a qualifying offer and see what other teams offer him. If it is 5+ then that would be too much as we have other guys who can step in. I like his defense and his shooting. He also doesn't get enamored with the 3, and I like that he takes it to the hole. His numbers have been coming down though, so if that trend continues other teams might pass on him.

Also, don't think there is a FA Center out there that is worth 12million (around what we can afford). There is McGee, who is a excellent athlete/shoot blocker, but Wash would match that easily. They can't afford to loose their Center unless they get one in the draft (Drumound). But if they get the 1st pick they would probably go with Davis at PF and keep McGee.

So, I say keep the bench, and wait for a more affordable center. We don't have to have a dominant Center. Just one who has size, and can play D and rebound. Even Udoh at C at times was nice, but he is undersized, so why not bring back Kwame. He is affordable and has size. There are some C that will be available in the 2nd round too that are not that shaby. And we have NJ 2nd rounder.

You'd rather draft a big man than pursue Kaman?
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:45 am
32 wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I think Nate's energy on the court, and in the locker room is contangous for this young roster. I think it is important for this team to have someone with that much energy who gets the rest of the team excited. Key thing is, how much will he demand? Being a backup PG that other teams didn't want, we may be able to keep him for 3 million or less.

If Kaman is going to cost $12 million... yes
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:24 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:

jesus... all of our options seem a little dire... **** is depressing
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:57 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
32 wrote:

Well, just on a mere hunch, I'd guess Kaman's next deal will probably be 4 years at about $42 million.

As much as I like Robinson and the unique qualities he brings off the bench, I'd let him walk for a chance to acquire Kaman. Guards off the bench are a dime a dozen compared to starting centers (of which we currently have none).
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball