Trade Monta already!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Trading Monta with Curry's injury history would be a bad idea in my opinion. I think we need to wait till curry can play consistently to consider this. Besides, Monta is the best player on the team. I would rather hold on to him till his last year in the contract and see what we can get then. Klay is good, but I don't think he is ready to be a starter. He needs minutes, but to unload starter minutes on him may cause him to develop bad habbits. I am a beleiver in having to earn them.

Also having Curry, Monta and Klay keeps us deep in case injuries. One thing you have to admit is that Monta is a "Warrior". He gets hurt and bounces right back. He has toughness. Curry, doesn't have that. I wouldn't mind having them sit Curry for a couple weeks again and try a line up with Monta at PG and Klay at SG.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 am
He's definitely a lot easier to stomach when his shot is dropping. Still working off a majority of isolation, but shooting cures all. It's opened up the driving lanes for him and thus allowed his selective passing game to reappear.

Ellis is traditionally hot after an all-star snub... Seemingly just in time, with Curry's ever atrophying feet.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:19 pm
Boston looks like they could really use a 2nd scorer behind paul pierce. I wonder if they'll take monta and david lee for kg. I was initially thinking beans and monta, but i don't think they'll go for it. If we give up monta as well as david lee, i'd be expecting a draft pick to come our way.

Why we do it? to get rid of contracts and make big, big, BIG run at restricted free agents in the offseason. Some might think we have a chance at the playoffs, but i'm not convinced. At this point I'd rather make a trade, tank, hopefully retain our draft pick, get lucky in the draft, and get 2 really solid pieces in the off-season through free agency( although that doesn't seem likely). This will open up minutes for Tyler and Udoh as well.

Why Boston does it? Because what they're doing right now isn't working. They're too old and need to retool. Monta can provide a spark that they need, and although david lee doesn't provide the defensive presence that kg does, can provide them a double-double night in and night out. I think they'll get more wins with ellis and lee than they do with just kg.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:21 pm
after typing all that, I've realized that probably NOTHING is going to happen when the trade deadline comes around. Seriously, Warriors fans are cursed...

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:00 pm
I doubt anything substantial goes down either. I'd love to be wrong though...
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:17 pm
I think it's time to move Monta...even just for the sake of doing it. Even if it brings us less wins it's still better... tank in this shortened season and end this constant middle of the road / mediocre cycle that Monta has been the spokeperson for since he's been here. The thing I can't get passed is this: If your supposed franchise player / MAIN guy has consistently failed for this long in so many areas: leadership, playoffs, maturity, chemistry, defense, etc etc, then it's time to cut ties. If he is as good as some say he is, then they'd sniff the playoffs even by accident in his time being here. After Baron left, Monta-ball hasn't done anything in the win column. Those big contracts to Biedrins and Monta hasn't gotten the W's anywhere. SG's are replaceable. You think twice about Curry and Lee because having a good PG and a good big man is more important to building a team. Guys like Ellis have come through warriorland plenty (Richmond, Spree, J Rich, Arenas, Larry Hughes, etc)., but before David Lee, who? Harrington, um.... Randolph...um B Wright. Given Monta's contract, history, position he plays, undersized tweener reality, current trade value, Klay Thompson's emergence, etc., it makes the most sense to ship Monta and his $11mil out.

here's another trade I tried out...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=72bwgl9
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am
Via ESPN insider

Most would think Brook Lopez will end up in Orlando if the Magic and Nets do a trade that sends Dwight Howard to the Northeast. However, one scenario could see him head West.

Peter Vecsey of the New York Post writes: "There are renewed rumblings about the Golden State Warriors possibly getting Lopez from the Nets in a multi-team deal involving Howard. That would cost them big time, though; Monta Ellis would be part of the Magic's compensation."

The Magic need to fill the center spot if Howard is traded and it's unlikely they'd want Andris Biedrins from the Warriors, even if they also received Ellis.

There's the potential a fourth team could get involved and maybe that's where the Magic would get their new center, if they deal Howard.

So far the Magic are saying they're not trading Howard.

pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm
hummbabybear wrote:
rockyBeli wrote:yep like the trade ideas. Granger or Josh Smith would be upgrades. Plus Josh Smith is friends with Dwight (pipedream I know). I think Klay Thompson has show enough scoring ability already to offset what we'd lose in a Monta trade.

I predict Monta will not be traded before the 2012 NBA draft. If the Warriors get the miracle #1 pick, then you got Andre Drummond and you've got your C. No need to trade Monta. If the Warriors pick 4-7 then you grab SF Harrison Barnes or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and you move Klay Thompson to SG. Monta gets traded in that scenario. If you lose the draft pick, then you still gotta make the trade, since the Curry-Monta combo does not win.

So I only see Monta staying if we get the #1 pick.

Thinking about this more, I can envision a trade deadline deal this year where Monta goes to Orlando, Dwight to New Jersey and Brook Lopez to Warriors. Lopez would have to be a sign-and-trade. Warriors get Orlando's 1st round pick. NJ would have to add $8m worth of players to the pot to make the salaries work and filler for the difference between Monta's contract and Lopez (new) contract.

Warriors would end up with a poor record and get their lottery pick...

Apparently Peter Vecsey has been reading my posts!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:00 pm
8th ave wrote:Via ESPN insider

Most would think Brook Lopez will end up in Orlando if the Magic and Nets do a trade that sends Dwight Howard to the Northeast. However, one scenario could see him head West.

Peter Vecsey of the New York Post writes: "There are renewed rumblings about the Golden State Warriors possibly getting Lopez from the Nets in a multi-team deal involving Howard. That would cost them big time, though; Monta Ellis would be part of the Magic's compensation."

The Magic need to fill the center spot if Howard is traded and it's unlikely they'd want Andris Biedrins from the Warriors, even if they also received Ellis.

There's the potential a fourth team could get involved and maybe that's where the Magic would get their new center, if they deal Howard.

So far the Magic are saying they're not trading Howard.

pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls

I would LOVE this.

Fitz is blasting Lopez on KNBR right now (typical to defend Ellis in this situation), but here's the thing: Lopez' weakness is rebounding, David Lee is a top 10 rebounder. DLee refuses to block shots; Brook will get you between 1 and 2 per game. And the thought of those two teamed up on the offensive end is just plain scary.

PG: Curry / Robinson /
SG: Thompson / Rush
SF: Wright / McGuirre
PF : Lee / Udoh
C: Lopez / Tyler

PULL THE TRIGGER, BOYS! (pray Orlando and Jersey figure out a way to get this done). That lineup is offensive poetry with hard nosed defenders on the bench. Playoff level squad, if Curry and Lopez can stay healthy. This is a best case scenario.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:50 pm
I don't think there's a single person that would be against this. Not even the biggest Monta's fans.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:33 pm
I mean, let's put it in simple black and white:

MONTA ELLIS
6'3", 180 lbs

+ Bonafide scorer; 17 PPG or higher as a playoff team starter
+ Highest tier of penetrative players, as far as ability
+ Plays through injuries
+ Top 5 fast break player
+ Can carry a team (occasionally)
+ Can find his own shot
+ Can make the game-winner
+ Has an all-but-complete arsenal of offensive moves. Aside from a skyhook, if it's been done, Ellis can score using that method

- An anchor when he's cold; becomes a complacent volume shooter
- Has trouble going left
- Undersized
- Has documented maturity issues, stemming from apprenticeship of Stephen Jackson
- Is shaken by overtly physical defense, especially when he isn't getting whistles
- Frustratingly inconsistent defender; plays lazy and exposes his bigs when he's not on

BROOK LOPEZ
7'0", 265 lbs

+ Legitament starting center with prototypical size
+ Tremendous low post scorer with a tried and true arsenal
+ Excellent face-up shooter with a feathery midrange game
+ Uses the glass well
+ Shoots FTs among the elites at center
+ Blocks shots and clogs up the middles
+ Has shown flashes of being flat out dominant; none have better tools

- Perhaps the most feeble rebounding center in the NBA; grabs 7 per game in a good year
- Coming off a foot injury, which has been the kiss of death to many great NBA bigs
- Foul prone defender
- Gets dunked on
- Will command more money than Monta Ellis after this year (and for much longer)
- I can't think of any more... I'm totally biased

Is there anything I forgot?

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:53 pm
32 wrote:I mean, let's put it in simple black and white:

MONTA ELLIS
6'3", 180 lbs

+ Bonafide scorer; 17 PPG or higher as a playoff team starter
+ Highest tier of penetrative players, as far as ability
+ Plays through injuries
+ Top 5 fast break player
+ Can carry a team (occasionally)
+ Can find his own shot
+ Can make the game-winner
+ Has an all-but-complete arsenal of offensive moves. Aside from a skyhook, if it's been done, Ellis can score using that method

- An anchor when he's cold; becomes a complacent volume shooter
- Has trouble going left
- Undersized
- Has documented maturity issues, stemming from apprenticeship of Stephen Jackson
- Is shaken by overtly physical defense, especially when he isn't getting whistles
- Frustratingly inconsistent defender; plays lazy and exposes his bigs when he's not on

BROOK LOPEZ
7'0", 265 lbs

+ Legitament starting center with prototypical size
+ Tremendous low post scorer with a tried and true arsenal
+ Excellent face-up shooter with a feathery midrange game
+ Uses the glass well
+ Shoots FTs among the elites at center
+ Blocks shots and clogs up the middles
+ Has shown flashes of being flat out dominant; none have better tools

- Perhaps the most feeble rebounding center in the NBA; grabs 7 per game in a good year
- Coming off a foot injury, which has been the kiss of death to many great NBA bigs
- Foul prone defender
- Gets dunked on
- Will command more money than Monta Ellis after this year (and for much longer)
- I can't think of any more... I'm totally biased

Is there anything I forgot?

They need to match up numbers for this deal to work and this is too good of scenario for Warriors management. I think they will hesitate to pull this trade, because Lopez foot problem and Curry with chronic foot problems on same roster. If I were Warrior management I do this trade getting a low post scoring Center is much harder than a scoring guard. If Warriors management thinks Mark Jackson so a good coach than he can help put Brook Lopez in a right mind set to be a better consistent rebounder.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:04 pm
fullmetalx wrote:They need to match up numbers for this deal to work and this is too good of scenario for Warriors management. I think they will hesitate to pull this trade, because Lopez foot problem and Curry with chronic foot problems on same roster. If I were Warrior management I do this trade getting a low post scoring Center is much harder than a scoring guard. If Warriors management thinks Mark Jackson so a good coach than he can help put Brook Lopez in a right mind set to be a better consistent rebounder.

Yeahh... But Avery Johnson's a pretty damn good coach and he's gotten 6 boards out of Brook Lopez in 2 games this year. :banghead:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:16 pm
I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm all for the trade! I think Biedrins and Udoh combine for like 8.5 in 37 minutes. I think Lopez alone can give you 7 or 7.5 in similar minutes, but the incredible offensive upgrade inside, combined with the outside shooting of this team, is a slam dunk.

And as a bonus, trade gives you the freedom to play Udoh at the 4 and McGuirre at the 3. It ups the rebounding totals for the front court, as a whole. Imagine holding a lead with 10 seconds to go out of a timeout... You're obviously bringing Udoh and McGuirre, but now you can leave Lopez in the middle, too, eliminating the need to go small or leave Lee in during key defensive possessions.

And have I mentioned that I LOVE the encyclopedia of options that open up when you put Lee and Lopez together on the other end?
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:48 pm
I don't think there's something you haven't covered, 32. Despite his lack of rebounds he is still a solid defender. He is playing alongside Humphries who is, I'm quite sure, getting that many rebounds because of Lopez, who's giving him room for that. Imagine the same with Lee.

And when it comes to the offensive side of the ball, I just checked what he's doing against the Mavericks, and he's killing them with 21 points at the half, shooting 10 out of 15 from the floor. That's a player you don't pass on if you have a chance to get him. You put in Rush and Klay at SG and we don't really have that big of a drop off on that position. They might score less, but they do other things better, especially shooting threes, playing defense, etc. At least they won't have times when they're gonna hog the ball and force shots, and when we're gonna have plays especially designed for them, that will end up with something good in less than 50%.

Though, I'm just afraid that this sounds to good to be true, with Warriors it's just like something good like this never happens. But I wanna believe that it will, so much.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball