Amnesty

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:45 am
Interesting article from Kawakami regarding the one player amnestry it's likely each team will get. I personally would let Biedrins go.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... rlie-bell/
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:23 am
I say we drop Lee or Beans and go after Nene. If we still were looking a Nene, then I'd say drop Beans because we pretty much know he sucks by now, and Lee had flashes of being that double-double guy last season. I know Nene doesn't play d and isn't a great rebounding center, but neither is Beans anymore - at least Nene will be a presence and score into the double didgits more than 5 time a season.

Plus Nene take the offensive pressure of Lee to free him up to be the banger that we though he was.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:57 am
JREED wrote:I know Nene doesn't play d and isn't a great rebounding center, but neither is Beans anymore - at least Nene will be a presence and score into the double didgits more than 5 time a season.

What? Nene is a very good defensive center. He doesn't block a lot of shots but he plays tough post defense.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:53 pm
Yea, i would have beans... i like Lee... he is overpaid, but he is still a quality starter material.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm
Lee showed a lot of improvement late last season ...

He'd look even better next to a legitimate Center. Drop Biedrins.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 am
No way we amnesty Lee. Lee is a bad contract, but not terrible. And Lacob will not eat that $$$, especially when he is a fan of Lee. Even Biedrins with the amount he is owed is a big gamble for an owner. We're more likely to amnesty someone like Bell. Big contracts for players like Brandon Roy may be amnestied, but not overpaid players like Lee.

If we do amnesty someone like Beans and free up some nice cap space, one of the first contracts we should offer is DeAndre Jordan. Even if he doesn't sign with us, we should force the Clips to match so it hurts their chances of holding on to Gordon and Griffin. Otherwise Nene or Dalmbert would be some solid choices. And Nene is a very solid post defender and post scorer, just not an above the rim shotblocker that would be ideal playing next to a starting lineup that includes an undersized SG and a PF who is a bit undersized and at an athletic disadvantage on defense.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:28 pm
I think the best option would be to wait to next year when there would probably be more free agents.
I am not too happy with beans, he hasn' really participated in any of the lockout events with the team... yeah he has a new born, but he just doesn't seem interested in the game.

I think if we loose the whole season, next year we can use the amnesty and shed beans, and also Lou and Bell come off the books. We would have enough to signe a good Center.

Howard, M. Gasol, or Nene is a possibility. Also Tyson Chandler, Jordan, Oden, the lopez twins, McGee...
heck we could pickup two centers. Pickup Brook Lopez and twin Robin Lopez as a backup... not the most eliete, but that would be solid, and would give us a chance to compete. That is if Howard decides to stay in Orlando, or the Nets convince him to go to Brooklyn with Williams. NY will probably try to pickup CP3. We would have the advantage of having a PG, SG, SF and PF in place while most other teams will be scrambling to fill those spots.

Here is the link to the 2011 and 2012 free agents:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

There are a lot of centers in there... not many eliete, but there aren't many eliete centers in the league.

List of centers that would be availalbe if entire season is lost:
Nenad Krstic
Troy Murphy
Jermaine O'Neal
Joel Przybilla
Kwame Brown
Brian Scalabrine
Omer Asik
Ryan Hollins
Tyson Chandler
Ian Mahinmi
Nene Hilario
Ben Wallace
Roy Hibbert
DeAndre Jordan
Chris Kaman
Theo Ratliff
Joe Smith
Marc Gasol
Hamed Haddadi
Erick Dampier
Juwan Howard
Dan Gadzuric
Brook Lopez
Ronny Turiaf
Nazr Mohammed
Dwight Howard
Spencer Hawes
Marreese Speights
Robin Lopez
Greg Oden
Samuel Dalembert
Antonio McDyess
Alexis Ajinca
Mehmet Okur
Francisco Elson
JaVale McGee
Hamady Ndiaye
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm
Our team say there is no way they use amnesty on Beans. You just don't drop a player in his age , in his position and his height that easily. Especially when 2 years ago he was better than any center of this free agency. They believe they can put him back on track.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:59 am
Interesting player that will garner some interest.

Thaddeus Young - F - 76ers
Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated hears that the Sixers are "very nervous" about another team offering large contract to restricted free agent Thaddeus Young.
The Sixers want to re-sign Young and the forward has already said that he wants to remain in with the team, but it's possible another franchise presents him with an offer he can't refuse. Philadelphia would have the right to match any offer, but as the roster currently stands, the Sixers don't have much financial flexibility to accommodate a lucrative contract. His fantasy value will be directly tied to where he signs.

http://www.rotoworld.com
Play some D
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:10 pm
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216816/Warriors_Interested_In_Brandon_Roy

The Warriors would be interested in signing Brandon Roy if he is waived by the Blazers, according to sources.

Roy’s former agent, Bob Myers, is now the assistant GM for the Warriors. Roy would also prefer to stay on the West Coast.

Golden State would prefer to sign a big man, but Roy makes sense for them to add depth as a playmaker.

The Oregonian reported on Monday that the Blazers intend to use their amnesty clause on Roy immediately.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1f7w6IX6W

If we could sign him for relatively cheap this could be a great pickup. Would rather use money on adding a big man first.

But if we had Roy start and play some limited minutes and have Monta come off the bench to be a gunner. Watch out. Stay won't be able to rebound or defend though
Get Money. Get Paid.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:48 am
No way we pay Monta $11 mil to come off the bench - plus he already has one foot out the door after we shopped him around earlier, if we demote him to the bench - he is gone for sure.

I'm not sure how I feel about Roy and I'm also not clear on the regulations of signing a amnestied player (other than you can be over the cap), if there are any. As it stands Roy would probably price us out of the Nene sweepstakes, but presumably a big reason why we want Nene so bad is to keep Ellis happy - or to just keep Eliis period. If we get Roy, that might mean that Eliis is gone and becomes our trade ammo.

There isn't room for all of these guards to get a sufficient amount of PT and stay happy (or warrant their contracts), some is going to go if we sign Roy and it wont be Curry.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216816/Warriors_Interested_In_Brandon_Roy

The Warriors would be interested in signing Brandon Roy if he is waived by the Blazers, according to sources.

Roy’s former agent, Bob Myers, is now the assistant GM for the Warriors. Roy would also prefer to stay on the West Coast.

Golden State would prefer to sign a big man, but Roy makes sense for them to add depth as a playmaker.

The Oregonian reported on Monday that the Blazers intend to use their amnesty clause on Roy immediately.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... z1f7w6IX6W

If we could sign him for relatively cheap this could be a great pickup. Would rather use money on adding a big man first.

But if we had Roy start and play some limited minutes and have Monta come off the bench to be a gunner. Watch out. Stay won't be able to rebound or defend though

IMO, this is the worst f*^king idea I've ever seen. Brandon Roy is playing on one leg and that's not ever gonna get better. He could have an inspired performance or two every 20 games or so. We can get that kind of player anywhere and they would have not 1 but 2 knees...
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:47 pm
Roy wouldn't be the starter, he would be coming off the bench. And he would be a good bench player. It is not a bad Idea, and you probably wouldn't have to pay him much. But I think there are safer bets out there. But what is most attactive about him, is not his ability to play, but his ability to lead. That is why they are interested. He would be a positive force in the locker room, and on the second squad, making those around him that much better.

By the way, he has 2 bad knees, not just one.

Oden is the blazzer with 1 bad knee.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 pm
I would love to get a guy like Nene, but he has stated that he wanted to goto a contender and the Warriors aren't anything close to being one.

Biedrins' contract isn't that bad considering what other teams have forked out for guys like Joel Pryzbilla and Jeff Foster. AB could help them off the bench where he can play aggressively and not worry about fouling out in 12 - 15 minutes of work. But they'll need a clear better option at center.

I'm one of those guys that would much rather have them use the amnesty clause on David Lee. I like Lee a lot, but not $65M over the next 5 years like. I just don't think he's a player that can help carry a team and when you're getting paid that much money, you should be able to do it to a certain extent. And thats the same way I feel about Ellis, but Ellis' contract doesn't escalate to pay him $15M a year like Lee's.

Nene maybe out of the question and I think Tyson Chandler, at 30 years old, won't make sense to a team that is just looking to get better. Chandler will help a contender win a championship which he did in Dallas. A guy I like is DeAndre Jordan. If they came in and offered Jordan 5 years and $55M, I don't think the Clippers would match it.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:08 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Roy wouldn't be the starter, he would be coming off the bench. And he would be a good bench player. It is not a bad Idea, and you probably wouldn't have to pay him much. But I think there are safer bets out there. But what is most attactive about him, is not his ability to play, but his ability to lead. That is why they are interested. He would be a positive force in the locker room, and on the second squad, making those around him that much better.

By the way, he has 2 bad knees, not just one.

Oden is the blazzer with 1 bad knee.

Agree he could have some value as a role player, but his competitive drive was starting to be a wedge in Portland. Because he wanted to play so badly he started making waves and causing problems in the locker room during the playoffs. Risky, but low $ investment and possible good reward and he's a good citizen so I'm with you there.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball