Problem at Backup Point Guard

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:32 pm
One of the Warrior's numerous weaknesses this recent season was, in my opinion, very much a lack of a solid back up point guard. We saw Charlie Bell, Acie Law, and Jeremy Lin take the place of Monta and Stephen, and needless to say, I was disappointed. I think that the only guard out of the three mentioned who is closest to being a real, efficient back up is Jeremy Lin, but even his performance hurt my confidence in the depth of the Warrior's back up point guards. However, I still have belief in him becoming a nice back up based on his performance in the D-League and recent Las Vegas games and his defensive prowess. And with the addition of Charles Jenkins, whom I have great hopes for as well, it seems like we have one more guy who could potentially stack up to be a fantastic back up.

This all begs into question, do you think Jenkins or Lin will make the better back up PG? Do you think either will be able to fill the void and make the Warriors better? Or might the Warriors look to sign a FA instead?

At 6'3" and 220 pounds, Jenkins might be one of the steals of the draft for the Warriors. In his 4 years at Hofstra, he averaged 19.6 PPG, 4.3 RPG, 3.8 APG. He averaged more points and played more minutes as each season went on, which I take as a sign of a considerable capacity to adjust and improve at the NBA level. And you can see his style of play in his countless of highlight videos; he's bulky and strong and is a refreshing change from the skinny Curry/Monta back court. He's won the Haggerty Award 3 consecutive times; that makes at least TWO WARRIORS who have won this award for New York men's basketball player of the year three times, the other Warrior being Chris Mullin, the most recent former Warrior Hall of Famer. And as far as I know, he's Hofstra's all-time leading scorer. But will his play making be efficient enough? (http://philly.stats.com/cbk/players.asp?id=60421, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Je ... basketball), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggerty_Award)

Also standing at 6'3" but 200 pounds is Jeremy Lin, the unsigned underdog from Harvard. He did disappoint me a bit with his play; in fact, he seriously botched a few open lay ups that made me grind my teeth. But I still think he has amazing potential as a solid NBA player. Reflecting on the season, I honestly believe that Coach Keith Smart did NOT give Jeremy Lin (as well as the other bench players) a good chance to prove himself. I knew something was wrong when Smart decided he wanted to play Monta in a preseason game for 40+ minutes. I observed that in many cases which the Warriors were in the losing end of a blow-out, Smart did not play bench players, including Lin, to give them more experience or practice, or of the like. I always thought when there were garbage minutes to be played, they should be given to the rookies and bench players to gain a little more experience and give the starters a break; at least my family and friends tell me that. Smart didn't give Lin consistent minutes, and when he did get on the floor I think there was a lot of pressure from all of the fans at HOME games cheering at him. To make things a little worse, Keith put him in the D-League 3 times. But Lin dominated.

Granted Lin only played 20 games in the D-League, he averaged 18.0 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 4.3 APG and scored as high as 27 and as low as 10. He was named NBA D-Leauge Player of the Week in January and a member of the 2011 All-NBA D-League Showcase First Team (in which he went 21 Points 7 Rebounds 6 Assists (http://bayarea.sbnation.com/golden-stat ... #storyjump). In the D-League, J-Lin got consistent minutes, 31.7 PG and he even started some games. And don't forget Jeremy Lin's tight defense, that's something the Warriors could utilize somehow. (http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/j ... index.html) But he's going to have to work that jumpshot and free throws. And passing. And turnovers.

Point is, don't write Jeremy Lin off JUST YET like I observe so many people doing.

One last thing to consider: Impact League Debut, Jenkins vs. Lin.

Lin: 8/9 FG 89% (all 2 pt shots), 16 pts (3rd leading scorer behind Klay and David), 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers

Jenkins: 5/9 FG 56% (0/2 from 3 pt land), 10 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 turnover

(stats from: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... n_US#gid=3)

I know the Impact games aren't really serious games and these stats don't mean as much as stats in an NBA game, but heck, it's still something to consider. Shows potential in both guys.

Sorry for the long post, but what do you guys think? I'm excited to see how things roll out for these two guards.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:43 am
First of all, I will agree with you that we had some problems at backup PG position. I mean, Acie Law was the best backup point guard we had as an option, and he was inconsistent, and average at best. He is now playing here, in Belgrade, for Partizan, and now he's playing even worse, and that's in Europe. Maybe he just needs some more time to accommodate.

Charlie Bell is washed up, plain and simple. And he's far better suited to play a SG.

Jeremy Lin - I honestly don't have anything against the guy, but I just don't like the way he plays. His defense is quite good, I won't deny that, but I don't like his offense at all. He's too slow, doesn't want to risk any passes (which is good to some degree, cause you won't make a mistake, but you need to take a chance occasionally). His shooting is bad, control of the ball when it comes to the left hand is weak. I mean, there's just too many things he needs to improve.

So, my hope lies in Jenkins. I like what I saw from him in college, and I hope he will translate good into the NBA. He's exactly type of player we need to compliment Curry.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:59 am
welcome to the board, Bay Area Kid.

Very insightful analysis. I kinda agree with you, but i think i am less optimistic with all those options. So probably for me, the best option would be to get a FA. However, i will admit, i do not know much about Jenkins. He could be a player that is just a small bball school player that ends up being very successful. I personally need to see some action of him.

With this lockout, it will be interesting to see what tournaments jenkins decides to play in. Some are mostly for show, but some have been pretty competitive.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 am
We need a distributing PG that plays good D as a backup because that is something that Curry will likely never be - he might become a good passer but he needs to show that he is capable of making better decisions while running the offense. I also admit to not knowing much about Jenkins but based on his college stats, I'd assume that he doesn't fit that criteria. I think depth is our biggest issue, outside our inability to rebound.

Welcome to the board!
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:35 pm
Good first post!

I think you will find that most people here agree with you that depth is an issue. I would say depth at all spots is an issue... PG, SG, SF, PF, C (even the starting C was an issue at times last year).

But since the PG is most important poistion, it is crucial that we have someone who can come off the bench and run the team better then Law, or Lin did last year. I liked Lin's defense, but his playmaking and scoring abilities were liabilities. Hopefully he has improved on that.

Jenkins is a little bit of a risk as from what I read, he isn't a defensive stopper, but on offense he can light it up and he was a PG in college (I htink Lin was a SG) so he will probably be more comfortable running a team.

With that said, it is almost like if you could melt the two togehter they would be perfect. Perhaps we will see them used at different times and against different teams based off of what we need. Need to score, go with Jenkins. Need to slow down the game and get stops, go with Lin. Who knows.

But I agree with Mr. Crackerz, if we want to be an eliete team next year, we need to get a FA PG who can run the team and has experience. I am not sure who that would be, or if we would have the $$ depending on the CBA. We still need a backup SF and backup C. Besides, who is out there that would be desired? Allen Iverson? Ramon Sessions?

Another option is to go for a trade. A team like Houston that has Lowry, Flynn and Dragic, has 3 decent PG and might be willing to give one up for a decent price.

I think if we want to make a decent run in the playoffs, or even get to the playoffs, we need a backup PG wiht a bit more experience and skill. At the same time keeping one of them as a 3rd PG in case of injurry and also to develope their game in the D league.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:56 am
Sadly, there never seems to be a decent FA pickup at the point guard spot... this league is a haven for good PG's (more than half the teams have at least one good PG). But like in the NFL, there is this big talent gab after the first 15 point guards, thus meaning the backups kinda suck (for the NFL, we see this with QB's).

I think we need to wait and see what happens to the lockout, there is a lot of things they need to negotiate still. If they come up with a hard cap, or not have guaranteed salaries, that can help the warriors decide what they want to do moving forward.

Return to Warriors Basketball