Manute

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 am
Sorry if this post is a little too self promotional or spammy, but I wanted to drop by and let you guys know about a short digital book I just wrote about ex-Warrior Manute Bol. While working on the story, I spent the last few months trying to track down everyone I could who knew Manute, and as you can imagine, I ended up hearing a lot of funny stories.

For one, Manute invented the phrase "My bad" after he got dunked on by Michael Jordan. Also, he once told Nellie the team had to end practice early because the cable guy was coming to his house. During practices, Nellie would let Manute shoot threes, and if he made them, the team ended practice right away.

Anyways, it was a lot of fun trying to track down stories of Manute's playing days, but the best part was traveling back to his homeland, southern Sudan, and learning about his impact on the people there. He's a man who — almost literally — died fighting for his people's freedom.

Sorry again if this kind of post is bad form around here, but I figured with the lockout going on, people might want some other kind of Warriors-related material to read.

I'd love if you guys checked out the excerpt here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

And you can find out how to read more here: http://www.atavist.net/defender

Thanks a lot.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:07 am
Welcome Jordan! I've read a piece from you... somewhere (maybe SI as well). You wrote an interesting article on Jeremy Tyler.

Typically we dont really allow for promotions of products, but I think it is relevant for this board. I just read your excerpt piece on SI regarding Manute. I had no idea about the "My Bad" statement by Manute, eventually getting into our current slang dialect.

Are you a Warrior fan? After reading this excerpt and the Jeremy Tyler piece, it seems you are interested in Warriors basketball.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 am
Thanks Jordan,

Agree with Mr. C's statement above and we have no problem with you posting this here. As I am sure you know well by now, Manute was a huge fan favorite around here. Thanks for posting this, and best of luck with the book!!

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:15 am
Thanks a lot, guys. Not a Warriors fan — grew up in Atlanta pulling for the Hawks — but I live in the East Bay now after going to grad school at Cal, so I definitely follow the W's. I have to say, as someone who roots for a decent team that can't get any kind of fan support, I'm always impressed by Warriors fans. You guys are the real deal.

And yeah, that was me who wrote the Jeremy Tyler story. Having spent a lot of time around the kid, I really think he's going to turn out fine. Needs some polish, but he's a great athlete and has a much better attitude than people give him credit for.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:47 am
Nice work Jordan. Happy to have you here and i expect more from you in the future. You might end up a Warrior fan in time.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:09 am
Just wanted to share with you this nice article I came across about Bol Bol, Manute's kid:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... 45165.html

Return to Warriors Basketball