Trades Warriors made last season

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:23 am
Do you think we got better because of them, or not? One year passed, and I think now we can at least see some of the results.

Here are my 2 cents.
David Lee didn't play at the level he played his last year in New York. Granted, he wasn't crap, 16+ points, and close to 10 rebounds per game, but that's still quite lower than 20+ PPG and over 10 rebounds per game. The question is, would Anthony Randolph (who showed in Minnesota that he is making some strides), Ronny Turiaf and Kelenna Azubuike help the Warriors more than Lee. Azubuike was injured, so we can count him out, but Randolph would play from the beginning and he would maybe by the end of the season look even better than he looked as a T'Wolf. Ronny Turiaf would be that defensive presence in the paint that we've been crying about for quite some time now.
Maybe our offense would suffer a little, that would mostly depend on Randolph, but rotation would be better, and I'm not going to mention the bench. I mean, we would actually have a center on the roster that could sub Biedrins, and I mean a real center, not Udoh playing off his position.

We can't look at just one trade being good, and the other being bad (for instance), cause we wouldn't have money for Lee if we haven't traded Maggette away. And that's the second part of this subject. Who did we got in return, and how much that improved our team exactly? Hmm...That's what I'm thinking. We would have Maggette off the bench, or even as a starter and Dorell would come off the bench in that case, one way or another, that would work up fine in my opinion.

So, basically, we lost most of our good bench players, so we could get David Lee. Pretty much both of those trades were because of Lee, and was it all worth it in the end? I know we can't go back in time, and that it is done now, I'm just looking for some thoughts on the trades, and some good debate if possible.

And that's without mentioning Anthony Morrow, Anthony Tolliver or C.J. Watson which we didn't re-sign as well.

So, when I look at the bigger picture, I can't question myself, would the team we had the year before, if they stayed together for this last season as well, won more matches, than the one we had. We would have better players coming off the bench on pretty much all of the positions, and we would have defensive minded center in Turiaf (not one of the best players in the game, but still, quite serviceable).
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:17 pm
I don't think anyone would of thought they'd improve dramatically by adding David Lee to this roster. I didn't think they'd win 40+ or make the playoffs. This will be a process. Lacob and Gruber took over after the season has already started and their hands were pretty much tied through the trade deadline. They'll be entering this season with more of a new start with a new coach, assistant GM and advisor in Jerry West. This is their first true offseason and lets see what they can do.

All signs point to West advising ownership to move Monta Ellis for either a big or a bigger shooting guard. This may still be a process as the Warriors are building something and not just patching up holes to get by like they have been under Cohan. Curry and Lee are a nice start. If they can move Ellis for a big and draft a SG/SF, then this team may have something.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:35 pm
Guybrush wrote:Do you think we got better because of them, or not? One year passed, and I think now we can at least see some of the results.

Here are my 2 cents.
David Lee didn't play at the level he played his last year in New York. Granted, he wasn't crap, 16+ points, and close to 10 rebounds per game, but that's still quite lower than 20+ PPG and over 10 rebounds per game. The question is, would Anthony Randolph (who showed in Minnesota that he is making some strides), Ronny Turiaf and Kelenna Azubuike help the Warriors more than Lee. Azubuike was injured, so we can count him out, but Randolph would play from the beginning and he would maybe by the end of the season look even better than he looked as a T'Wolf. Ronny Turiaf would be that defensive presence in the paint that we've been crying about for quite some time now.
Maybe our offense would suffer a little, that would mostly depend on Randolph, but rotation would be better, and I'm not going to mention the bench. I mean, we would actually have a center on the roster that could sub Biedrins, and I mean a real center, not Udoh playing off his position.

We can't look at just one trade being good, and the other being bad (for instance), cause we wouldn't have money for Lee if we haven't traded Maggette away. And that's the second part of this subject. Who did we got in return, and how much that improved our team exactly? Hmm...That's what I'm thinking. We would have Maggette off the bench, or even as a starter and Dorell would come off the bench in that case, one way or another, that would work up fine in my opinion.

So, basically, we lost most of our good bench players, so we could get David Lee. Pretty much both of those trades were because of Lee, and was it all worth it in the end? I know we can't go back in time, and that it is done now, I'm just looking for some thoughts on the trades, and some good debate if possible.

And that's without mentioning Anthony Morrow, Anthony Tolliver or C.J. Watson which we didn't re-sign as well.

So, when I look at the bigger picture, I can't question myself, would the team we had the year before, if they stayed together for this last season as well, won more matches, than the one we had. We would have better players coming off the bench on pretty much all of the positions, and we would have defensive minded center in Turiaf (not one of the best players in the game, but still, quite serviceable).

They built their core in a sense with Curry as the PG who runs the team, Monta Ellis with the scoring, and David Lee as the PF who rebounds. The problem is they thought AB would help out David Lee deficiency on defense when they made the trade, but it turns out they were wrong. Now they need to get big add depth to the bench like a PG (Jeremy Lin improving his game and get some PT) SF, SG (don't think Reggie Williams is a bench kind of player he not instant scoring), PF(Hope Udoh can improve his rebounding and don't get into foul trouble), a starting Center(depends on AB reworking which I have no faith in, because he is paid well already no incentive to get out of this funk).

I like David Lee, but didn't like the idea of Warriors overpaying him seems to make the Warriors desperate. Wouldn't of done that sign and trade for that big of a contract for David Lee, because he didn't do much to help his team to get into the playoffs in the East where the depth of competition is weak compare to the West. I rather keep the long athletic Randolph and let him play through his mistakes and let him learn the game, because his game is very Raw and lots of bad habits to get out of him. The coach need patience and believe in Randolph which Nelson didn't have with him, because he was trying to get the wins record asap. Randolph hasn't gotten the big contract yet so he motivated to prove that he can get it so there some incentive for him to play well. Randolph didn't get a fair chance in New York, because Mike D'Antoni was in a win now mode he has no patience for Randolph mistakes. He got traded to T'Wolves where Rambis need to show better results, and Randolph trying to get PT out of Kevin Love. There also players on the T'Wolves think Rambis is a horrible communicator to the young players, and they don't buy into his philosophy.

Lacob wanted try to make it his own team so this is what he got. They always said it starts at the top so he building his FO. The next step is getting a coaching staff and filling out his rosters when the time comes and it might take a few seasons for it to happen. Than the players he put on the roster needs to contribute and play well together and stay healthy to produce the results like going to the playoffs.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:21 pm
A big reason we were willing to trade Randolph was for his attitude. If you think about it we would have been estatic to see Randolph put up the numbers Lee did last season. We look at lee and say, well, not what we wanted. Mainly becuase what we paid him. I think Lee's production suffered a lot when he had his injury and played poorly for a while after that. ALso the begining of the year he was inconsistent.

He brought a lot of intangibles that Randolph does not poses though. Randolph has the potential to be better than Lee if he can mature. Specially on the defensive end, but I think he needed to be traded just for him to realize that if he wants to stay in this league he is going to have to work hard. So... if we kept him I don't have the confidence that he would have done what was necesarry to improve.

A lot of the moves that were made last season were cap related. That is why didn't sign Morrow or Watson. We were looking to improve, but to keep flexibility to add another piece. I think they wanted to add another SF who fit their system, but when Beans didn't play as expected, then they were stuck still looking for a big. So, now we have some cap flexibility, but there isn't any big out there in FA worth getting. Trade is the only option, but we don't have much to trade... so it is catch 22.

It will be interesting to see what they do to get bigger... because they keep saying that, but I don't see how they are going to get quality bigs. If Orlando fears Howard is going to repeat "the decision", they might trade him. We might be able to risk taking him... but who knows. Let's see what they do. The CBA will affect everything.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:31 pm
Nice thread, especially the timing.

I have always stated that I never liked the trade for DLee. The team won more games this season, but I think they got the most possible out of this roster.

We all saw how well ARandolph played in the TWolves when given the chance and it was very well. With Nelson gone, a coach that showed close to no confidence in AR, as he has done many times his coaching career, AR would have likely been a much better performing, much more confident player. AR is so young and would have only improved here. He also plays good defense and has the potential to be a very good defender, can't say that about DLee at all.

DLee is a solid PF, an allstar before, but I see him for what he is, a good offensive player (not great), a very good if not great rebounder and a horrible defender. The man plays one end of the court and that is such a liability.

Quite a few changes is what I think is needed for this team to have a chance of being a real contender

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:52 pm
migya wrote:Nice thread, especially the timing.

I have always stated that I never liked the trade for DLee. The team won more games this season, but I think they got the most possible out of this roster.

We all saw how well ARandolph played in the TWolves when given the chance and it was very well. With Nelson gone, a coach that showed close to no confidence in AR, as he has done many times his coaching career, AR would have likely been a much better performing, much more confident player. AR is so young and would have only improved here. He also plays good defense and has the potential to be a very good defender, can't say that about DLee at all.

DLee is a solid PF, an allstar before, but I see him for what he is, a good offensive player (not great), a very good if not great rebounder and a horrible defender. The man plays one end of the court and that is such a liability.

Quite a few changes is what I think is needed for this team to have a chance of being a real contender

That the thing Lacob didn't have the patience to deal with Randolph altitude and wait for him to polish his raw b-ball game. He wanted results quickly so he got David lee and overpaid him. He also thought AB would contribute to help out David Lee liability on Defense, but that not going to happen so now Lacob needs to find a really good Center to help David lee on the defensive side.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:32 am
migya wrote:Nice thread, especially the timing.

I though Lee looked good on both ends of the court before his injury in the beginning and towards the end of the season. I like what I've seen out of Lee at times and hope he can show more consistency next season. The lack of a decent center is obviously our biggest issue, but the same can be said for the majority of NBA rosters.

Return to Warriors Basketball