West hinting that Monta's on his way out?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:42 am
those who like monta = don't give a rats ass about defense

defense = championships

no defense = no championship(s)

monta = no defense

monta = no championship(s)

UNLESS

mark jackson + monta = defense

me = doubt it

so,

i want players like joakim noah, josh smith, andre iguodala.... yunnoe.... players who play defense? im jus sayin....
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:20 am
I Really, really, reaaaaallly don't want to get rid of Monta. I perfer to lose. I enjoy watching the warriors and enjoy his game. Well... actually i would like to see us in the playoffs at least... so if we had to get ride of him it better be worth it. So far nothing out there said is worth it. Nothing out there will make that big of an impact defensively. If you think all of a sudden getting igudala will make us a beter defensive team your wrong. We need bigs in the front court... without those we may only slightly improve. In the back court it helps to have size, but the difference isn't worth giving up our best player.

The year that Lakers lost vs Boston, they were a poor defensive team. There weren't a small team, but still considered a poor defensive team.
The next year, their big center comes back from injurty (bynum), and they turned things around and became defensive.

So, yes, we need to get bigger, but if we are going to give away our best player, it better be for someone of equal value. If iggy's contract didn't increase or was the same as ellis', then the trade would be more palatable. THe fact is if you do this trade, you hinder you ability to get a big in FA, and any decent backup options. You are not looking at the WHOLE picture with salaries involved.

With that said, the only deal i would consider and I haven't heard so far anywhere, is a three way deal between Memphis, Minesota and us.
Minesota is willing to give up 2nd round pick for experienced players.
Memphis needs to resign Gasol and Battier if they want to go back to the playoffs... and they just resigned Z' bo.
Even though they are saying Gay is not an option to trade, cash talks.
And us... we need size.

Here is my idea.. please comment (no cursing, i don't appriciate it)
Memphis gives Gay to Minesota. Minesota can afford the contract and gets the player they want. Love and Gay have both played on Team USA together.
Minesota gives us 2nd overall pick, and Beasly. Clears room at 3 for Gay. They get their experience needed.
We give Ellis to Memphis. The most important thing here is the cap space, but they still get a very valuable player to pair with Conley, Mayo, and Allen in th backcourt.

At first glance it looks like we loose out, but this gives us a chance to take either Kanter or Williams 2nd. If Kanter is available, we get the size we need, move Dorell to SG and Beasly at 3.
For us, the salaries are the same. $6.5 million owed to beasly next year, and $5 to 2nd round pick. But Beasly's contract is only 2 years, giving us flexibility to resign Dorell and Curry.
Plus it still gives us flexibility to sing FA this season to beef up bench, and we still have the 11th pick to get Morris, Montejunas, burk or the best available player.

Ok, so before you comment take a moment. Think about it... this will likely never happen because it makes too much sense. But it is better idea then most of those reported so far.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:23 am
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I Really, really, reaaaaallly don't want to get rid of Monta. I perfer to lose. I enjoy watching the warriors and enjoy his game. Well... actually i would like to see us in the playoffs at least... so if we had to get ride of him it better be worth it. So far nothing out there said is worth it. Nothing out there will make that big of an impact defensively. If you think all of a sudden getting igudala will make us a beter defensive team your wrong. We need bigs in the front court... without those we may only slightly improve. In the back court it helps to have size, but the difference isn't worth giving up our best player.

The year that Lakers lost vs Boston, they were a poor defensive team. There weren't a small team, but still considered a poor defensive team.
The next year, their big center comes back from injurty (bynum), and they turned things around and became defensive.

So, yes, we need to get bigger, but if we are going to give away our best player, it better be for someone of equal value. If iggy's contract didn't increase or was the same as ellis', then the trade would be more palatable. THe fact is if you do this trade, you hinder you ability to get a big in FA, and any decent backup options. You are not looking at the WHOLE picture with salaries involved.

With that said, the only deal i would consider and I haven't heard so far anywhere, is a three way deal between Memphis, Minesota and us.
Memphis needs to resign Gasol and Battier if they want to go back to the playoffs... and they just resigned Z' bo.
And us... we need size.

Memphis gives Gay to Minesota. Minesota can afford the contract and gets the player they want. Love and Gay have both played on Team USA together.
Minesota gives us 2nd overall pick, and Beasly. Clears room at 3 for Gay. They get their experience needed.
We give Ellis to Memphis. The most important thing here is the cap space, but they still get a very valuable player to pair with Conley, Mayo, and Allen in th backcourt.

At first glance it looks like we loose out, but this gives us a chance to take either Kanter or Williams 2nd. If Kanter is available, we get the size we need, move Dorell to SG and Beasly at 3.
For us, the salaries are the same. $6.5 million owed to beasly next year, and $5 to 2nd round pick. But Beasly's contract is only 2 years, giving us flexibility to resign Dorell and Curry.
Plus it still gives us flexibility to sing FA this season to beef up bench, and we still have the 11th pick to get Morris, Montejunas, burk or the best available player.

Ok, so before you comment take a moment. Think about it... this will likely never happen because it makes too much sense. But it is better idea then most of those reported so far.

Oh, and Ellis gets to go to his home town. That's a plus for him.

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:02 am
I would count out Lakers and Blazers right away. There's nothing we could get from them, value wise, that they would be willing to give in return. Hawks, well, we had numerous talks about Josh Smith, but, to be honest, I wouldn't go in that direction. If we want a defender like that, we should go for Igoudala, who is better defender (Smith is a bit overrated IMO) and is better overall player. The only advantage I would give to Smith is rebounding.

So, it is interesting idea to get Igoudala for Ellis, so far, I think that's the best option, if we have to trade Monta.

The trade with Chicago might be interesting as well, if we can get somehow Deng and Noah, for instance, but that is not likely.

Minnesota is tempting to me, if we could pry Darko (who I think can be starting material if worked properly with him) and 2nd pick, or maybe Beasley. But that would be third option and it is highly risky move.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:03 am
I wrote the previous post before I realized that I haven't read the fifth page. #-o

So, GSW Hoops Fan, I mentioned Beasley before I read your trade idea. It's not that bad of an idea, to be honest. Though it is risky as well, cause a lot of that trade depends of how we would use that 2nd pick overall we would get, and how that player would turn out to be.

I wouldn't be all against it, and it does makes some sense, just too much there would be a question mark. And I don't know if the new ownership and West are willing to risk that much, cause I think they wanna be sure that they are making a contender team. This trade could turn out to be great, but as well, it could set us back few years again. If we could pry Darko somehow as well, then we would have one more big body, and good front court defender, and one thing less to worry about.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:09 am
Shed wrote:Monta for J.Smith??? :banghead: or even worse for Joakim ](*,) ?

C'mon those guys are only and I mean only playable, when they have good team around them like it is with Atlanta and Chicago. Monta on the other hand is a constant 20+ points scorer.

Monta is a constant 20+ point scorer on a bad team. What does that tell you? There are a few guys that can put in 20+ points a game, but that doesn't mean they're great players. Kevin Martin, Andrea Bargnani and Brook Lopez just to name a few. The truth is, the only time Monta was part of a "good" team was either as a bench player (that barely got off the bench during the playoffs) and as a 3rd option to Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson. Ellis as this team's best player hasn't worked out yet. One writer speculated that Ellis would be coming off the bench if he went to Chicago, like a Ben Gordon. People tend to think that scoring is the only stat that matters, but on a winning team, you need certain pieces. Bruce Bowen was hardly a great player, but he was instrumental in San Antonio's dynasty run because of his defensive abilities. It does this team no good to have 4 scorers on the floor with the inability to play defense. Josh Smith plays defense.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:20 am
I would like to keep Monta and build a strong team around him. I have a feeling he is getting the same label and treatment as Zach Randolph, and if we trade him to a solid team for some mediocre player we will regret it. However, I am not completely against trading him. But one thing I think we need to take advantage of, as I have mentioned before is that he IS one of the most clutch players in the game. Many teams have come up short (especially against Miami) because they did not have enough of these, or in cases like PHI, San Antonio, Orlando and Denver, didn't have any of these. That is why I think if we are patient we can get a good haul for him. I would add some size and depth (none to long contracts) this offseason, and if we are not ABOVE .500 and in the thick of the playoff race (like within a game or 2 of the 6th seed) we should trade him. Teams are always more desparate then. If the Bulls come up short against Miami a few times next season for similar reasons like the playoffs, perhaps they trade Deng and Asik.

I maybe wasn't clear enough in my post, but I am not in favor or trading Monta for Josh Smith, unless Smith would be playing PF mostly, which would mean we'd also have to get rid of Lee.

Iguadala I am still on the fence about. I like him and his game, but his contract and knee problems (even if they haven't surfaced as much yet, they will get worse as his age and mileage increase - perhaps faster in the uptempo system we run) could severely handicap us in the future.

I'm not a huge fan of trading him for a pick. If Irving falls to the Wolves I'd consider doing it, especially if we could get another player. Kanter will NOT solve our defensive problems, in the middle. That's not his game, so I think he is a poor match with Lee.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:56 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:I Really, really, reaaaaallly don't want to get rid of Monta. I perfer to lose. I enjoy watching the warriors and enjoy his game. Well... actually i would like to see us in the playoffs at least... so if we had to get ride of him it better be worth it. So far nothing out there said is worth it. Nothing out there will make that big of an impact defensively. If you think all of a sudden getting igudala will make us a beter defensive team your wrong. We need bigs in the front court... without those we may only slightly improve. In the back court it helps to have size, but the difference isn't worth giving up our best player.

1. you said you'd rather keep monta and lose :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
yeah yeah... you said you at least want to get to the playoffs... but still... it makes no sense to me.....

2. just go ahead and consider all the things that monta does for us... he gets to the basket, shoots well, and one of the most clutch players last season, right? but what good does 25 points do if you allow 26? NOTHING... and i ain't even putting it all on monta... we suck defensively as a team! we suck defensively at ALL 5 positions!

and honestly, if i could trade steph curry for rajon rondo, i would... if i could trade dorell wright for iggy instead of monta or even someone like battier, i would... if i could get rid of BOTH lee and andris for someone like serge ibaka and tim duncan ( or something), i would... but the fact of the matter is that none of these trades are being discussed, and the only thing we have on the tabel right now is monta...

i love monta just as much if not more than the next guy, but if a trade comes up that improves us defensively... im for it...

3.the year lakers lost to boston was in 08... in the regular season, they gave up 98 ppg to opponents... that's the middle of the pack... it's not great, but shouldn't be considered "poor" defense... and in the playoffs they got better at 96ppg

4. the difference between monta's and iggy contract this upcoming season? 2 million dollars... 2 million dollars aint gonna make a significant difference in this years free agency... and for 2012-2013 we have people like charlie bell and amundson coming off the books, so trading for iggy aint gonna cripple us financially, so what are you talking about?
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:

And us... we need size.

Why does everyone think Monta is from Tennessee? he is from Jackson MS, yeah they are kind of close (almost 4 hour drive) - I maybe arguing semantics here but I don't think anyone from Jackson would consider Memphis their hometown.

IMO, Gay ins't worth the 2nd overall pick and Ellis is worth more than that pick in this year's draft - maybe I don't follow NCAA hoops close enough, but I'm just not impressed with anyone coming out.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:11 pm
JREED wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:

And us... we need size.

Why does everyone think Monta is from Tennessee? he is from Jackson MS, yeah they are kind of close (almost 4 hour drive) - I maybe arguing semantics here but I don't think anyone from Jackson would consider Memphis their hometown.

IMO, Gay ins't worth the 2nd overall pick and Ellis is worth more than that pick in this year's draft - maybe I don't follow NCAA hoops close enough, but I'm just not impressed with anyone coming out.

Well, i only put that trade idea out there because it would make more sense (in my opinion), then adding one piece like Igudala. I like Guybrush's idea of maybe getting Darko and the second pick being Williams... but as he says that is a very high risk move. What if Williams go 1st. It would add more size and defense to SG (Dorell moves to 2) SF (Williams) and C (Darko as mentioned before is a shot blocker). Would I do it... probably not. but i would perfer this over trading for Iggy.

Oh, and I only say Memphis is his hometown becuase he owns a home there, and I think that is where his wife lived when they met. And 4 hours from Jackson MS is not that bad for family to visit on holidays.....

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:38 pm
If Williams goes first, then the Warriors can take Enes Kanter, whom I sorta prefer over Williams anyways. Kanter maybe worth the #1 pick and teams like Utah and Cleveland may deal for him.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:54 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
JREED wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:

And us... we need size.

Well, i only put that trade idea out there because it would make more sense (in my opinion), then adding one piece like Igudala. I like Guybrush's idea of maybe getting Darko and the second pick being Williams... but as he says that is a very high risk move. What if Williams go 1st. It would add more size and defense to SG (Dorell moves to 2) SF (Williams) and C (Darko as mentioned before is a shot blocker). Would I do it... probably not. but i would perfer this over trading for Iggy.

Oh, and I only say Memphis is his hometown becuase he owns a home there, and I think that is where his wife lived when they met. And 4 hours from Jackson MS is not that bad for family to visit on holidays.....

Probably because nobody would build a mansion in that sh*thole [Jackson, MS], I did forget about the House in Memphis.

I'd still rather have Iggy and maybe see what Beans can do when all of his offensive touches aren't after: 20+ seconds have burned off the shot clock, a pathetic attempt of an offensive play has failed miserably, Monta can't shake the double team and he is defended by a big man with excellent position.

I'm not concerned with the points we'll be loosing from Ellis if we get Iggy, because I think his rebounding and defense will more than make up for the ppg.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:04 pm
For a moment if someone read your post's "please don't trade Monta" he will believe that this team have something good going on and that the new owners are trying to **** up for everybody. In which world are you leaving?. Do you ever read analyst's from OTHER teams or neutral one's? If you did, you would know the Magnitude of the **** hole we are in. Except maybe Curry there is NOTHING in this team to base upon. THAT is why the new owners have to start from scratch. After 15 or so years the previews owners left us with NOTHING from top to bottom. Monta is a good scorer of the bench for a legit team, why? Because he can't do anything else. He scores that much not only because he plays a lot of minutes but because he is selfish when he plays. He is the classic Iverson player who will always put good numbers and his team will ALWAYS loose. Oh and and if you read 76ers blogs you would know that they totally freaking out with this trade and they don't want him. And what do you mean i don't care if i win or not watching Monte and Curry is a lot of fun?? If this is the case then we should make everybody happy, draft Fredette and the rest of the NBA will have a nice team to watch. A fun team which will command no respect and no fear to anybody. We know the recipe all to well.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:11 pm
I don't think Kanter is worth the number 2 pick let alone trading our best player to draft him at 2. Not that I don't think he can be a good player, but he hasn't played basketball competitively in 2 years! Not to mention with the lockout it could be loner. That is a major problem for someone whose game is predicated on skill like his and who is not very athletic. He can look fine in a workout, but 5 on 5 basketball is different.

If he falls out of the top 5 I think it might be wise to make a trade, but I don't think he is a risk worth taking if it requires trading our best player. That is just being too desparate for a C. If we trade Monta it should be for a PROVEN center, who has PROVEN he can play against NBA players. Not someone who dominated a terrible (basically a league composed of very small private schools with few players going on to play college, not playing against the Oak Hills) highschool league 2 years ago.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:39 pm
TRON wrote:For a moment if someone read your post's "please don't trade Monta" he will believe that this team have something good going on and that the new owners are trying to **** up for everybody. In which world are you leaving?. Do you ever read analyst's from OTHER teams or neutral one's? If you did, you would know the Magnitude of the **** hole we are in. Except maybe Curry there is NOTHING in this team to base upon. THAT is why the new owners have to start from scratch. After 15 or so years the previews owners left us with NOTHING from top to bottom. Monta is a good scorer of the bench for a legit team, why? Because he can't do anything else. He scores that much not only because he plays a lot of minutes but because he is selfish when he plays. He is the classic Iverson player who will always put good numbers and his team will ALWAYS loose. Oh and and if you read 76ers blogs you would know that they totally freaking out with this trade and they don't want him. And what do you mean i don't care if i win or not watching Monte and Curry is a lot of fun?? If this is the case then we should make everybody happy, draft Fredette and the rest of the NBA will have a nice team to watch. A fun team which will command no respect and no fear to anybody. We know the recipe all to well.

This post is full of fallacy. First of all Iverson's teams did not ALWAYS lose. They actually made it to an NBA finals. Only one team wins the finals every year so by your definition most players in the NBA are worthless. Second of all I have read other teams boards, and many bulls and sixers fans would LOVE Monta. You are most likely selecting the posters you agree with and ignoring others. Another reason why they say that is because most fans overvalue their own players. Every fan wants to win a trade and thinks they can the other teams player with giving up much less than he's actually worth. Lots of neutral fans acknowledge Monta is a better player but Iggy is the better fit for us so the trade is pretty even. The knowledgable posters that realize people who can score at will are necessary to win a championship and get past teams like the heat who have multiple closers, see that players like Ellis are harder to come by than defender / glue guys (Iggy can score enough that he is a bit more than this).
Third of all, if Monta does NOTHING besides score, how are we 7th in scoring and 7th in assists in the NBA? Just because he doesn't make the assist pass, doesn't mean he isn't the key to breaking down a defense and getting the ball to move for wide open looks. Do you think Dorrell Wright gets as many open looks this year without Monta forcing defenders to cheat in and protect the lane? Lee did not score working from the post, he did when he got open looks from others. We wouldn't have 3 other players on the team averaging over 16 PPG if Monta was as much of a ballhog as you think he is. He also averages (not even) 1 less assist than Curry who is supposed to be the PG getting a bunch of assists, but again that's NOTHING to many fans. He also in top 5 in steals (yes I know it means he gambles a lot), and could be more effective on defense without the most undersized frontcourt in the NBA (even though our front court is begger than it has been any other year in his career). When locked in on his man down the stretch he also proved he was a decently clutch man defender down the stretch. (See last Lakers game when Kobe was pulling them back in against Dorrell and then Monta shut him down). Yes he is not great at defense but you guys just assume his height at SG is a huge problem. One of the reasons he gets scored on a lot is because he's so good at steals (and our post defenders are so bad at defense) that he's always used to doubleteam guys in the post leaving his man open.
Get Money. Get Paid.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball