West hinting that Monta's on his way out?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:16 pm
Getting Iggy for Monta would be PERFECT. A defensive stopper [top 3 in the league] with enough skill to put up 15-18 pts a game and we can move D-Wright to the bench for that 6th man scoring he should be doing. Than we can use the 11th pick on a shooting guard or BPA and move forward. It's easier to replace a high volume scoring 2 guard than it is to attain an ELITE defensive wing [something we haven't had in my lifetime] that is a leader and can score a bit.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:27 pm
don't think we can acquire iggy anymore since the clips are offering kaman... if i were phili i'd take that offer over ellis....
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:44 pm
Are you serious? For Ellis' production his contract is a bargain. Kaman has had a couple solid years but he's constantly injured and is 3.5 years older than Monta. Monta would revive that city a little bit. Noone is going to buy season tickets because the team just got Chris "Caveman" Kaman.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:22 am
Beast Mode wrote:Are you serious? For Ellis' production his contract is a bargain. Kaman has had a couple solid years but he's constantly injured and is 3.5 years older than Monta. Monta would revive that city a little bit. Noone is going to buy season tickets because the team just got Chris "Caveman" Kaman.

I agree with your sentiments.. If Philadelphia is going to trade away there star player then they will want a star in return.

Kaman might be the better piece for there puzzle.. but Phila Front office would be lynchpinned if they bought in that albino crackerjack.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:59 am
*edt*
Last edited by 8th ave on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:04 am
The trade would not be sending Monta to LAC, the trade mentioned would send Kaman to Philly for Iguodala. That of course would be a steal for the Clips. Beast is arguing that Monta is a more attractive haul than Kaman, but the pending sale of the sixers and Kaman's expiring contract complicates that argument a bit.

I heard a rumor that Orlando has been asking about Ellis. Hopefully this means that Ellis is on a list of names Dwight would like to play with. Of course I want nothing they have besides Dwight, but it could represent that we will be on Dwight's radar if he chooses to enter FA. If we retain the current roster, can make the playoffs and win a series while freeing up money, we would be a nice destination, with a group of players hitting their prime together, with the only need being a great C if we can secure a solid perimeter defender through draft or FA. This is all a huge pipe dream but only a possibility if we are patient and see what this team can do with even half a decent frontcourt. Whether we could accomplish that with Iguodala, I don't know. It's possible we get more wins with Iggy, but without a go-to scorer like Monta, I think we're less likely to go anywhere in the playoffs as proven this year. And I think perimeter defense is easier to add cheap than premium scoring (see J. Johnson and Rudy Gay)
Get Money. Get Paid.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:The trade would not be sending Monta to LAC, the trade mentioned would send Kaman to Philly for Iguodala. That of course would be a steal for the Clips. Beast is arguing that Monta is a more attractive haul than Kaman, but the pending sale of the sixers and Kaman's expiring contract complicates that argument a bit.

I heard a rumor that Orlando has been asking about Ellis. Hopefully this means that Ellis is on a list of names Dwight would like to play with. Of course I want nothing they have besides Dwight, but it could represent that we will be on Dwight's radar if he chooses to enter FA. If we retain the current roster, can make the playoffs and win a series while freeing up money, we would be a nice destination, with a group of players hitting their prime together, with the only need being a great C if we can secure a solid perimeter defender through draft or FA. This is all a huge pipe dream but only a possibility if we are patient and see what this team can do with even half a decent frontcourt. Whether we could accomplish that with Iguodala, I don't know. It's possible we get more wins with Iggy, but without a go-to scorer like Monta, I think we're less likely to go anywhere in the playoffs as proven this year. And I think perimeter defense is easier to add cheap than premium scoring (see J. Johnson and Rudy Gay)

Well dwight has been saying these days that he plans on staying with orlando. He can always back out, but from what I am hearing, he doesn't want to pull a shaq.

If I were GM, I would do Ellis for Redick/Anderson/Orton? The team needs a bench (which was one of our biggest problems). Now that we have a real coach, who will use an 8-9 man rotation, we should have 8-9 quality players. Orton has no offensive game yet, but he's got a huge wingspan and can rebound and block. Plus he is 20 years old.

The team would need to address one more slots in free agency/trade. A starting shooting guard. Because we only have a MLE, unless we trade Beans for someone, we are probably looking at an up and commer role player or an aging veteran. I say, what about Jason Richardson? The team where he thrived at, became a fan favorite. I am sure he will take an MLE and the Warriors can use him as a starter, with reddick off the bench.

Curry
Richardson/Reddick
Wright
Anderson/Udoh
Lee/ Orton

with Orton/Anderson, Reddick, Udoh coming off the bench. PLUS, there is whoever we choose in the draft as well to add to the roster.

BUT, just thinking about it just now, maybe we should have the draft first, and then do a trade...
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:The trade would not be sending Monta to LAC, the trade mentioned would send Kaman to Philly for Iguodala. That of course would be a steal for the Clips. Beast is arguing that Monta is a more attractive haul than Kaman, but the pending sale of the sixers and Kaman's expiring contract complicates that argument a bit.

shiet.... sorry i was intoxicated... that went completely over my head

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:00 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Well dwight has been saying these days that he plans on staying with orlando. He can always back out, but from what I am hearing, he doesn't want to pull a shaq.

If I were GM, I would do Ellis for Redick/Anderson/Orton? The team needs a bench (which was one of our biggest problems). Now that we have a real coach, who will use an 8-9 man rotation, we should have 8-9 quality players. Orton has no offensive game yet, but he's got a huge wingspan and can rebound and block. Plus he is 20 years old.

The team would need to address one more slots in free agency/trade. A starting shooting guard. Because we only have a MLE, unless we trade Beans for someone, we are probably looking at an up and commer role player or an aging veteran. I say, what about Jason Richardson? The team where he thrived at, became a fan favorite. I am sure he will take an MLE and the Warriors can use him as a starter, with reddick off the bench.

Curry
Richardson/Reddick
Wright
Anderson/Udoh
Lee/ Orton

with Orton/Anderson, Reddick, Udoh coming off the bench. PLUS, there is whoever we choose in the draft as well to add to the roster.

BUT, just thinking about it just now, maybe we should have the draft first, and then do a trade...

Interesting, but I don't think pushing Lee to center would work if you are trying to become a defensive minded team.
So, essentially you are trading ellis for 3 bench players and then signing Richardson as a FA.....

Why not keep Ellis and Sign Richardson as a free agent? Have Richardson come off the bench?
Plus we have more they just the MLE, we have 6 or 7 million in cap space then the MLE, we could get some depth without having to trade anyone. I wouldn't trade our best player for a some's "second tier" players.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:59 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Well dwight has been saying these days that he plans on staying with orlando. He can always back out, but from what I am hearing, he doesn't want to pull a shaq.

Curry
Richardson/Reddick
Wright
Anderson/Udoh
Lee/ Orton

Dwight also said he would not sign the 2 year extension they recently offered. He would LIKE to stay there, just as I'm sure most stars would LIKE to stay where they were drafted and win a championship. But the truth is the Magic are screwed right now. And I'm sure if the Magic don't make significant changes he will be gone.

Not to be mean since I respect most of your posts Crackerz, but that is a terrible trade. I would rather trade Monta for the #2 pick and cap relief than for just scrub players for depth. Depth is the EASIEST thing to acquire in the NBA. We should be addressing that through FA and draft. If we trade Monta it should be for a starting quality big, or possibly a player like Iggy. Anderson is a stretch 4 who is very inconsistent, Richardson will be a FA and has already expressed interest in the past of resigning here, and Reddick although a solid player, is a bit overpaid considering you can get his production much cheaper.

I think many people are forgetting the value of a go-to scorer. Monta has proven he is one, and does so at one of the most clutch rates in the NBA. You saw how far Denver and Philly got without one. Chicago is considering trading for Ellis because they need more than one. Trust me, getting perimeter defenders and depth in the NBA is MUCH easier to come by than players who can score at will in the crunch time. An all-star big who can score inside at high efficiency would be worth it, but I don't know where we're going to get that.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:21 pm
8th ave wrote:

:drinking: drunk posting at 2 am is never a good idea #-o
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:18 pm
JREED wrote:
8th ave wrote:

:drinking: drunk posting at 2 am is never a good idea #-o

touche #-o

Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 pm
The Lakers, Blazers, Bulls and Hawks have surfaced as teams rumored to be inquiring about Monta Ellis.

Lakers:
The only player I would want coming out of LA would be Andrew Bynum and that would make the most sense. I would want some young players and not players that are 32 years old like Artest, Odom or Gasol. Ellis for Bynum works straight up and would be a great deal.

Blazers:
They have even less players I would want, especially if you consider that the salaries have to somewhat match. They're only big money players are Aldridge, Roy, Wallace and Camby. Roy's knee is a concern and with it being bone on bone with no surgeries that could fix it, the end of his career is in the near future and he probably won't be able to play heavy minutes. Camby, would be nothing more than an expiring contract which would be fine, but the free agent class of 2012 isn't worth dumping salaries. They probably won't move Aldridge or Wallace and I don't want Andre Miller as a $7M back up point guard that may tempt Coach Jackson into playing Curry as a SG. The only feasible move would be a sign and trade for Greg Oden. Maybe a gamble, but if Oden comes back healthy, he could be a top 3 center in the league.

Hawks:
I'd assume they want to play Ellis as a point guard next to Joe Johnson. Would they part with Josh Smith for Ellis? I'd jump all over that deal. A premiere defensive/rebounding small forward for an undersized SG? For the Warriors, it would be a no brainer. Another possibility would be Kirk Hinrich and Marvin Williams for Ellis and Biedrins. They take on Biedrins' contract which would be a must for not getting a player not named Johnson or Smith from that team. Hinrich would be a solid back up point guard and Williams, at 25 years old, still has a ceiling that he could reach.

Bulls:
Not much here but Luol Deng and Joakim Noah, which has been discussed already. I wouldn't want Noah, unless they take on Biedrins' contract. Noah, Asik and Deng would work for Ellis and Biedrins. Probably too much to ask from the Bulls so a Deng for Ellis would work out fine.

Minnesota:
The Wolves have surfaced as a team that would be willing to deal the 2nd overall pick for Ellis, which would make great sense if Rubio is signed. Rubio, Ellis, Johnson, Love and Asik would be a much improved line up. I would have them throw in Darko Milicic along with a $2M trade exception (or throw in Jonny Flynn). If the Warriors can land Derrick Williams and Klay Thompson in the draft, this could be exciting times for fans. Thompson has been compared to Kevin Martin by some scouts, without the weird shooting stroke.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:02 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:The Lakers, Blazers, Bulls and Hawks have surfaced as teams rumored to be inquiring about Monta Ellis.

Lakers:
The only player I would want coming out of LA would be Andrew Bynum and that would make the most sense. I would want some young players and not players that are 32 years old like Artest, Odom or Gasol. Ellis for Bynum works straight up and would be a great deal.

Blazers:
They have even less players I would want, especially if you consider that the salaries have to somewhat match. They're only big money players are Aldridge, Roy, Wallace and Camby. Roy's knee is a concern and with it being bone on bone with no surgeries that could fix it, the end of his career is in the near future and he probably won't be able to play heavy minutes. Camby, would be nothing more than an expiring contract which would be fine, but the free agent class of 2012 isn't worth dumping salaries. They probably won't move Aldridge or Wallace and I don't want Andre Miller as a $7M back up point guard that may tempt Coach Jackson into playing Curry as a SG. The only feasible move would be a sign and trade for Greg Oden. Maybe a gamble, but if Oden comes back healthy, he could be a top 3 center in the league.

Hawks:
I'd assume they want to play Ellis as a point guard next to Joe Johnson. Would they part with Josh Smith for Ellis? I'd jump all over that deal. A premiere defensive/rebounding small forward for an undersized SG? For the Warriors, it would be a no brainer. Another possibility would be Kirk Hinrich and Marvin Williams for Ellis and Biedrins. They take on Biedrins' contract which would be a must for not getting a player not named Johnson or Smith from that team. Hinrich would be a solid back up point guard and Williams, at 25 years old, still has a ceiling that he could reach.

Bulls:
Not much here but Luol Deng and Joakim Noah, which has been discussed already. I wouldn't want Noah, unless they take on Biedrins' contract. Noah, Asik and Deng would work for Ellis and Biedrins. Probably too much to ask from the Bulls so a Deng for Ellis would work out fine.

Minnesota:
The Wolves have surfaced as a team that would be willing to deal the 2nd overall pick for Ellis, which would make great sense if Rubio is signed. Rubio, Ellis, Johnson, Love and Asik would be a much improved line up. I would have them throw in Darko Milicic along with a $2M trade exception (or throw in Jonny Flynn). If the Warriors can land Derrick Williams and Klay Thompson in the draft, this could be exciting times for fans. Thompson has been compared to Kevin Martin by some scouts, without the weird shooting stroke.

Agree with you on a lot of this. Just some things to add on.

Lakers - We obviously don't know if this is certain, but in the article I read about the trade talks, LA has said Gasol and Bynum are offlimits. Bynum especially since he is Jim Buss's little pet project. The trade would most likely be around Odom and some srubs. a big NO.

Blazers - The only player I would want from that team would be Aldridge who is their most off-limits asset. Wallace is a solid player, but Lacob already turned down the chance to get him for expirings (besides being able to POSSIBLY find a legit SF who can rebound and defend like Wallace, I can't see why we turned that deal down unless they asked for Ellis or Curry.

Hawks - I like using the Hawks as trade partners as Smith seems like a good fit here. However, I'm a bit concerned about his ability to play the 3 consistently. Although not poor, he is an overrated perimeter defender, and defending at the 3 takes him out of the lane, where he would be most needed here. His game on offense is also more suited for the 4 even though he likes to take lots of jumpers. Despite these concerns I would probably do it, as it would make Lee a lot more expendable.

Chicago - Ellis for Noah is not a poor haul at all, and using the Bulls as a trading partner is probably our only realistic way of acquiring an all-star calibre big man (If you consider Noah to be one). If we gave them Monta I'd like to also get a player like CJ back, as he can be a solid guard to come off the bench. Monta for Deng and Asik? Of course you do that, but I doubt the Bulls do (maybe if we thre in #11 or at least a pick swap - would definitely do this deal if pick swap involved too). I know some might diagree with me, but I don't think Monta for Deng straight up is a good trade. My reasoning is simple in that clutch go-to scorers (especially cheap ones) that can win you a game in the 4th are much harder to come by than glue guys (especially ones that are overpaid). The reason why the Bulls would consider this is because they realize this, and we will run into their problem (except our defense won't be nearly as good). Deng or Iggy might mean more wins in the regular season by a few, but I guarantee we are a worse team in the playoffs if you substitute Deng or Iggy for Monta, unless Curry starts showing he can split double and triple teams (or even require them) while hitting clutch shots.

Wolves - I actually don't like this idea very much. I don't think there are any player in the draft that would make a huge impact on our team right away. I would probablytrade Curry for Irving if the Cavs would do it and I would have seen more of Irving at the level he showed. But I think Irving is a better creator, defender and a pretty damn good shooter (although under a much smaller sample size). But Derrick Williams I think will have a bit of a rough first year do to his tweener size and the fact that he will be facing more athletic 3's and 4's in the NBA. I think he will be fine eventually, but think he may struggle out the gate. Kanter is somewhat interesting, but the lack of playing against serious competition and his game being much more based on offense think that he is not worth the price it would cost to get up to #2. In short, most player in this draft will be role players, so I see no problem staying at 11 and getting one there without having to trade our best player.

In summation, if we do trade Monta, I think Atlanta and Chicago are our best opportunities, with their depth at the 4/5 and lack or shot creating scorers. Although Monta for Iggy straight up would not be a terrible trade, I don't think it makes us much better as a postseason team (and I think we can get to the postseason by adding the right complimentary pieces and not trading anyone)
Get Money. Get Paid.

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 pm
Monta for J.Smith??? :banghead: or even worse for Joakim ](*,) ?

C'mon those guys are only and I mean only playable, when they have good team around them like it is with Atlanta and Chicago. Monta on the other hand is a constant 20+ points scorer.

I would go for Aldridge or Bynum, but like it was said here, there is no chance those teams will go for such a trade. I think we are stuck with Monta and it might work out nicely.

It's up to coach setting Monta's mind ont the right track. Smart obviously couldn't do that (as we all remember ther were countless nights when Monta kept on missing those jumpers and rarelyu did Mr.Smart tried to change the gameplan, all he did was change players which made things worse.

Sure we need a better defender or a rebounder, but we can't switch Ellis for a lower quality players like Joakim or the insane "dunker".

I say Ellis needs to stay, we could trade Curry though ... :wink:
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball