West hinting that Monta's on his way out?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:12 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:The rumors has that Ellis will be moved on draft day. I wonder if that means he will be traded for a draft pick like Jason Richardson. Not many teams are under the cap and could use Monta. Sacramento is one of those team who have the 7th pick and are under the cap.

Here is a semi-complicated 3 team draft day trade scenario...it won't happen, but if it did...woohoo.

Philadelphia
Outgoing : Evan Turner, Mareese Speights and Lou Williams
Incoming: David Lee and the #7 pick

The get a nice high pick to compensate for Turner. David Lee gives them a great piece to replace Elton Brand or they could play one of them at the center position. At 7, they can nab a guy like Jan Vesely if he's available. The key is that they get to keep Andre Iguodala and Holiday.

Sacramento
Outgoing: The 7th Pick, Jason Thompson and Omri Casspi
Incoming: Monta Ellis and the #11 pick

This move would be nice for the Kings as well. Mocks have them taking either Knight or Walker so a point guard is a glaring need for them. Ellis isn't a conventional point guard, but with Tyreke Evans' ability to play the point and being 6'6, it could work out well for them. Casspi has been benched due to him not being a part of the future and Thompson gets little playing time as well. With the 11th pick, they can target a small forward like Singleton or Harris.

Golden State
Outgoing: Monta Ellis, David Lee and the 11th pick
Incoming: Evan Turner, Mareese Speights, Lou Williams, Omri Casspi and Jason Thompson

For the Warriors, Casspi is 23 years old and still hasn't reached his potential. He's an athletic, 6'9 small forward that is a willing defender. He can also rebound, handle the ball and shoot the jumper. He still has a chance to become a Kirilenko type player in the league. Thompson adds some depth in the front court. He has struggled thus far, but he has the potential to be a shot blocker, rebounder and shot blocker.

They get a key player to help build around with Evan Turner paired with Curry. His ability to pass the ball makes him a great backcourt mate to Steph. Turner can also play some defense as well and could be a great rebounder from the SG position.

Line up:

PG Stephen Curry - Lou Williams - Jeremy Lin
SG Evan Turner - Reggie Williams - Charlie Bell
SF Dorell Wright - Omri Casspi
PF Ekpe Udoh - Mareese Speights
C Andris Biedrins - Jason Thompson - Lou Amundson

wth!? why am i trading ellis and lee + #11 for a buncha scrubs?!?!

anyways... i've been reading that brandon roy has been falling out of favor in portland... i've read today on ESPN insider that they want to move up and draft kemba walker... i've also read that cho, even though he got fired, wanted to suspend roy during the playoffs... anyways... if they can't move up to grab kemba walker, maybe they'll consider a trade for ellis?

i understand that he has a HUGE contract and bad knees, but hey.... no guts, no glory...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:13 pm
TRON wrote:I can't believe you all so hi for the Pau Gasol photocopy. If AB get's his mind straight he is better. Please this is not the center i would want for the Warriors even if i could get him as a free agent.

Not Pau, Marc - his brother... #-o AB is not better than either, he isn't even close to either Gasol brother in terms of skill.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:06 pm
JREED wrote:
TRON wrote:I can't believe you all so hi for the Pau Gasol photocopy. If AB get's his mind straight he is better. Please this is not the center i would want for the Warriors even if i could get him as a free agent.

Not Pau, Marc - his brother... #-o AB is not better than either, he isn't even close to either Gasol brother in terms of skill.

I know it doesn't indicate AB is actually better, but you should check the Biedrins vs Gasol matchups for when we played the Grizz this past year.

And NO to Brandon Roy. Most doctors are saying that he will only be able to play a couple more years, and that is with reduced minutes and no back to backs. NOt to mention he is getting close to max money. The money to production scale tips HEAVILY in favor to Ellis on that one.

And No to the trade for the 76ers. The best slasher in that lineup is Lou Williams. Don't you think the fact that Monta Ellis is one of the best slashers in the game opens up the 3 a little bit for Curry and Wright? We would be more of a jumpshooting team than ever.
Get Money. Get Paid.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:02 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
JREED wrote:

I know it doesn't indicate AB is actually better, but you should check the Biedrins vs Gasol matchups for when we played the Grizz this past year.

And NO to Brandon Roy. Most doctors are saying that he will only be able to play a couple more years, and that is with reduced minutes and no back to backs. NOt to mention he is getting close to max money. The money to production scale tips HEAVILY in favor to Ellis on that one.

And No to the trade for the 76ers. The best slasher in that lineup is Lou Williams. Don't you think the fact that Monta Ellis is one of the best slashers in the game opens up the 3 a little bit for Curry and Wright? We would be more of a jumpshooting team than ever.

AB had one good game against him and the rest of the year he sucked. It not like he is a rookie he been in this league for more than 5 years and he getting paid well and it not looking to get better and consistent in his basketball game. I doubt he would get better from here on out with the Warriors when he getting paid well guarantee money what incentives does he want to get better?
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:47 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
JREED wrote:

AB had one good game against him and the rest of the year he sucked. It not like he is a rookie he been in this league for more than 5 years and he getting paid well and it not looking to get better and consistent in his basketball game. I doubt he would get better from here on out with the Warriors when he getting paid well guarantee money what incentives does he want to get better?

Like I said, I in no way think Andris Biedrins is better than Marc Gasol. I just find it funny that Biedrins' best game of the season was against Marc Gasol and that was probably Marc's worst game of the season too. Honestly I think Biedrins only hope is that our new coach can really work well with him and know how to help him (Smart at least tried the first part). Too bad we didn't have a 2nd rounder last year. Imagine if we had taken a chance on Asik with our need for a C and had gotten Udoh in the first!
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:18 pm
Pau Gasol's Photocopy is his his brother Mark. I said Bienbrish is better than Mark IF he get's his mind straight. I believe that IF that happens we have a great internal trade on our hands. Getting him back in the shape he was 2 years ago will be super. And i say this because i know the team had a meeting with him for that purpose. Maybe the new owners, coach, the improvement of Curry as a playmaker and maybe the trade of a selfish Monta may change his mentality. And the man showed that he can play. IF he get's his mind straight.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:12 pm
1) Draft Donatas Montejunas
2) Move Curry to the bench
3) Have Ellis start at PG.
4) Move Dorell to SG.
5) Sign T. Prince and Shane Battier in FA.
6) Resign Reggie
7) Hire defensive minded coach
8) Make playoffs

We don't have a ton of money in FA, but we should have enough to sign Prince and Battier and still bring back Reggie.
This resolves depth and small backcourt issues. Also brings in some very good verteran pieces who can still play.

Roster would be
PG - Ellis - Curry - Lin
SG - Wright - Williams - Bell
SF - Prince - Battier
PF - Lee - Udoh - Amoundson
C - Beans - Montejunas - 2nd Round pick

The thing that I like about this besides the fact that it makes you a way deeper team is you get bigger, bring in experience, and you have a legit 7 footer who can shoot and spread the floor.
Those are rare, and could be a very good trade piece if the right deal came around by the trade deadline. Montejunas can shot and has decent offense, but lacks defense. SO you put him in with Udoh and if you play them against the other teams bench players, that will hide his defensive deficiencies until he can work on those skills.

For those who would complain about curry coming off the bench, he can still get a lot of minutes if he shares the back court wiht Eliis and Wright. Much like Terry does, but Curry would be a better version of Terry. Also this will hide his poor deffense because he will be going agains the other teams backup PG. Ellis has enough speed and size to defend most starting PG. And Wright has the size and skill to defend most SG out there.

I would do this before trading Ellis or Curry for any of the offers I have heard so far.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 pm
Hopefully our front office is watching the finals. The Dallas Mavericks just stole HCA from the great Miami Heat and could win a championship. Their back court consists of:
6'4 Jason Kidd
6'3 Jason Terry
6'0 JJ Barea
6'5 Deshaun Stephenson

Please look at this and stop proposing Monta for crap trades.

We do not need to trade anyone to get a taller defensive minded G to spell each Monta and Curry 10 minutes a game or just come in when one of the 2 is in foul trouble or getting torched repeatedly.

Thank you.
Get Money. Get Paid.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:08 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Hopefully our front office is watching the finals. The Dallas Mavericks just stole HCA from the great Miami Heat and could win a championship. Their back court consists of:
6'4 Jason Kidd
6'3 Jason Terry
6'0 JJ Barea
6'5 Deshaun Stephenson

We do not need to trade anyone to get a taller defensive minded G to spell each Monta and Curry 10 minutes a game or just come in when one of the 2 is in foul trouble or getting torched repeatedly.

Thank you.

That nice to have, but they have Marion a good to great perimeter defender and did you check their front court a athletic shot blocker in Tyson Chandler and a hall of famer PF matchup nightmare in Dirk. Warriors have none of that in the front court and they are searching for those kind of players like the rest of the league.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:55 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Hopefully our front office is watching the finals. The Dallas Mavericks just stole HCA from the great Miami Heat and could win a championship. Their back court consists of:
6'4 Jason Kidd
6'3 Jason Terry
6'0 JJ Barea
6'5 Deshaun Stephenson

Thank you.

That nice to have, but they have Marion a good to great perimeter defender and did you check their front court a athletic shot blocker in Tyson Chandler and a hall of famer PF matchup nightmare in Dirk. Warriors have none of that in the front court and they are searching for those kind of players like the rest of the league.

it doesnt hurt that jason kidd is a great defender either...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:01 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
6'4 Jason Kidd
6'3 Jason Terry
6'0 JJ Barea
6'5 Deshaun Stephenson

Thank you.

Look I don't think our roster can make the possible changes this year to be a team of their level (championship team) within a year, but that doesn't mean we can't take the first step. We can become a playoff team with a young core and become an attractive destination for free agents. With the new ownership and FO changes (West and Myers) you can already see some dividends starting to be paid as the coaching vacancy is one of the top jobs available right now.

Adding a tall defensive wing player who can provide what Marion does to that team is not impossible to come by. A guy who is only asked to make cuts o the basket and hit a spot up jumper while focusing on defense. With Wright we are undersized at the 3. The only legit playoff team that had a SF with his build was the Thunder and KD is about 5 inches taller and an a different planet skils-wise. Drafting a guy like Singleton who has the build, skillset and determination to guard the 1-4 positions as well as provide legit help in the paint, and provide similar things to Marion (in Dallas I'm not talking about prime Phoenix Marion) on offense.

An athletic shotblocking C is something I think everyone has realized is a major problem for this team is the past and going forward. With a solid offseason to work on his strength and game with NBA trainers and coaches, Udoh should be able to provide some minutes as such a player. He is not a great rebounder, but he does seal his man and the team rebounds better when he's on the court. Then there's the chance of free agent additions can provide such minutes. Neither of these are longterm solutions at C, but you should see Dallas's situation here a year ago. Eric Dampier, a terrible contract like Biedrins that they turned into a legit C from a team that recognized it needed to make changes. This type of thing happens every year, you just have to be patient, because like Rome, championship teams aren't built in a day. Being in a position to take a risk like they did for Chandler, started because they were already a playoff team. If we completely overachieve with a new coach next year, can shed some cap, and Dwight becomes a FA, we can at least make him a pitch. (I know I know he would probably NEVER sign here, but becoming a playoff team with a young promising future is the first step to attracting such players)

PF is where we are closest to them I want to say, but soooo far it makes me want to slap myself for saying that first part. Dirk is a matchup nightmare, and a top 50 player all time. He is what makes them a championship contender and we have never had a player. However, Lee is able to provide 16 and 10 (hopefully those numbers can increase a bit), and it's not like the difference between these two on defense is night and day.

The point is, is that the height of your back court is overrated. If you compliment them with the right pieces, they can be a not only a playoff team, but eventually a championship team when you can compliment them with special pieces. The best way for us going forward is to become a playoff team which we are close to because of our back court. If we trade it away, we our trading away our matchup nightmare, and honestly the only thing we have going for our team right now. We are undersized at every position (Lee mostly due to his lack of athleticism at that position), so unless se can trade one of Curry or Ellis for an allstar level frontcourt player we should not make a trade. Trading one of the two for a bigger guard to have a taller, more balanced back court is a mistake.

Just thought this point should be made as a similarly sized backcourt to ours, is playing in the NBA finals right before we are likely to make a decision about what we will do with our back court. And similar defensive frontcourt pieces are available with just a little patience, and smart GMing.
Get Money. Get Paid.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:02 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
fullmetalx wrote:
6'4 Jason Kidd
6'3 Jason Terry
6'0 JJ Barea
6'5 Deshaun Stephenson

Thank you.

Look I don't think our roster can make the possible changes this year to be a team of their level (championship team) within a year, but that doesn't mean we can't take the first step. We can become a playoff team with a young core and become an attractive destination for free agents. With the new ownership and FO changes (West and Myers) you can already see some dividends starting to be paid as the coaching vacancy is one of the top jobs available right now.

Adding a tall defensive wing player who can provide what Marion does to that team is not impossible to come by. A guy who is only asked to make cuts o the basket and hit a spot up jumper while focusing on defense. With Wright we are undersized at the 3. The only legit playoff team that had a SF with his build was the Thunder and KD is about 5 inches taller and an a different planet skils-wise. Drafting a guy like Singleton who has the build, skillset and determination to guard the 1-4 positions as well as provide legit help in the paint, and provide similar things to Marion (in Dallas I'm not talking about prime Phoenix Marion) on offense.

An athletic shotblocking C is something I think everyone has realized is a major problem for this team is the past and going forward. With a solid offseason to work on his strength and game with NBA trainers and coaches, Udoh should be able to provide some minutes as such a player. He is not a great rebounder, but he does seal his man and the team rebounds better when he's on the court. Then there's the chance of free agent additions can provide such minutes. Neither of these are longterm solutions at C, but you should see Dallas's situation here a year ago. Eric Dampier, a terrible contract like Biedrins that they turned into a legit C from a team that recognized it needed to make changes. This type of thing happens every year, you just have to be patient, because like Rome, championship teams aren't built in a day. Being in a position to take a risk like they did for Chandler, started because they were already a playoff team. If we completely overachieve with a new coach next year, can shed some cap, and Dwight becomes a FA, we can at least make him a pitch. (I know I know he would probably NEVER sign here, but becoming a playoff team with a young promising future is the first step to attracting such players)

PF is where we are closest to them I want to say, but soooo far it makes me want to slap myself for saying that first part. Dirk is a matchup nightmare, and a top 50 player all time. He is what makes them a championship contender and we have never had a player. However, Lee is able to provide 16 and 10 (hopefully those numbers can increase a bit), and it's not like the difference between these two on defense is night and day.

The point is, is that the height of your back court is overrated. If you compliment them with the right pieces, they can be a not only a playoff team, but eventually a championship team when you can compliment them with special pieces. The best way for us going forward is to become a playoff team which we are close to because of our back court. If we trade it away, we our trading away our matchup nightmare, and honestly the only thing we have going for our team right now. We are undersized at every position (Lee mostly due to his lack of athleticism at that position), so unless se can trade one of Curry or Ellis for an allstar level frontcourt player we should not make a trade. Trading one of the two for a bigger guard to have a taller, more balanced back court is a mistake.

Just thought this point should be made as a similarly sized backcourt to ours, is playing in the NBA finals right before we are likely to make a decision about what we will do with our back court. And similar defensive frontcourt pieces are available with just a little patience, and smart GMing.

Well Warriors can control their improvement as a team with Udoh improvement in his conditioning and rebounding, and Curry PG game in running the team and stop committing silly fouls. AB will not improve his situation, because he is not motivated. He already getting paid well so there no incentive for him to put extra effort. It been almost 2 years now he not a young player anymore he's been in this league for more than 5 years he knows how the league works.

Hope Udoh become one of the best defensive PF in the league in 2 years and Curry one of the best PG who can make his teammates better by next year so this team can attract FA. I hope whoever the next coach will be patient to let Udoh and Curry grow or Warriors get lucky in the Draft to get super top 10 talent in the drafts.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:41 am
Monta for Iggy. According to ESPN, the talks have started. As a straight 1 for 1 trade, I love this for the Ws.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6633355
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 am
JSU2004 wrote:Monta for Iggy. According to ESPN, the talks have started. As a straight 1 for 1 trade, I love this for the Ws.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6633355

I don't know about this trade. I like Iguodala as a player, and think his skillset will be a nice fit here, but his contract is pretty bad, unless he can fix his jumpshot. Also I think both the height of a backcourt and the importance of perimeter defense are being a little overrated in this trade. I'd rather trade Ellis for a big, so good perimeter defenders can be effective. However, there are not a ton of teams trying to trade bigs right now (Monta for Noah is the only real possibility i've heard), and Iguodala's skillset should make it a good fit for him and us. A lot better than trading him for Rudy Gay.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 pm
niiice..

what I like about this trade is

you have 3 TEAM USA members with Curry Iggy and Lee...when was the last time THAT happened?
improves D and toughness immediately ...the amount Iggy is good at defense is the amount that Ellis sucks at it.....the difference in skills will be huge
improves back court size
gives them flexibility....can play D Wright or Iggy at the 2 or 3
gives Curry room to grow and be the main ball handler
chemistry
W's have would have some high level passers on their team now with Curry Iggy and Lee. I'd expect ball movement to be tons better.

cons-

Iggy's contract is a couple $mil higher
drop off in scoring, but Iggy has shown in the past he can get his numbers hovering around 20ppg. W's have shown scoring is something they can find.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball