Warriors to draft #11 - OFFICIAL DRAFT DAY THREAD!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Rookie
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:28 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 am
here we go guys Draft day here's a synopsis of the guys the Warriors go after with their pick not in order:

Alec Burks- Slashing big SG, despite the positional name this is not a shooter 29% from college's 3, although he's big and a very good scorer been compared to D. Wade. possibly could be a guy the Warriors would go after if they were thinking about dropping Monta or Step.

Klay Thompson - One of my favorites again he's a big guy at 6'6" and a half. He can Shoot it compared to Reggie Miller and with his length and that suffocatitng D they played at Wash St. ... I haven't heard about him being a good defender but you gotta think he is one. I like this pick

Kawhi Leonard - I love this kids game I just wish he was 2 inches taller. measures at 6'6" and change though he has a 7'2 wing span which outreaches many 6'8" SF. he is an absolute Rebounding Machine bigtime motor plays like an allstar Power forward but in a SG body. should the warriors take a flyer on him ?

Chris Singleton - Lots of length good defender good rebounder from the SF position. What do we need again ? also a very good finisher but not a guy that'll get his own shot. Compares to Shawn Marion.

Tyler Honeycutt - Jack of all trade very skilled SF out of UCLA, can drive shoot defend rebound. He can do it all, but can he do one of them really well to stand out at the NBA level ? we'll see

Marcus Morris - a very good shooter for his size 6'9" 230lbs a very well rounded and skilled player for his size. Defensively he'll be challenged to either increase his foot speed to guard SF's or Increase his strength to guard PFs.

Markieff Morris - Marcus' Twin plays a more in the paint than his brother maybe the best post player in the draft but can also shoot the ball very well. like his brother needs to get stronger to guard stronger nba PF's.

Tristan Thompson - a legit Power Forward definitely not a tweener, loves to stay in paint good rebounder defender shot blocker and can score in the paint. needs to put on a little weight and then could round out to be a very effective PF

Bismack Biyombo - a lot of hype on this mysterious PF out of Spain. His body is for sure NBA ready he's built like a GI JOE. Projects to be a Ben Wallace mold all defense and rebounding no offense player. unfortunately we don't have a large sample size and if he isn't as good rebounder or defender would be a definite bust.

Enes Kanter - good hands good face up and back to the basket guy. not playing last year would make him a project. has a nasty mean streak download that we need in the Bay.

Jonas Valanciunas - a big time project the kid is only 19 has the frame you want and projected to have the most talent needs to gain weight to be effective on the NBA level are warrior fans willing to wait 2-3 years for this kid to begin to be effective ? not to mention a messy contract buy out with his Euro team could make W's pass on this 7 footer.

Donatas Montiejunas - Not one of my favorites a classic euro PF very athletice run jump agility rating all at high levels great hands and a good shooter and nice size although doesn't like to bang. not a good rebounder and not a very good free throw shooter. also his contract situtation could complicate things with picking 11 also.

ok your guys' thoughts WHO SHOULD WE PICK !
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:06 am
Since it seems like this is were the draft discussion is taking place, it's now the OFFICIAL DRAFT DAY THREAD, any other generic draft threads will be locked/merged.
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Evansville, AR
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 am
Shane Shooter wrote:here we go guys Draft day here's a synopsis of the guys the Warriors go after with their pick not in order:

Alec Burks- Slashing big SG, despite the positional name this is not a shooter 29% from college's 3, although he's big and a very good scorer been compared to D. Wade. possibly could be a guy the Warriors would go after if they were thinking about dropping Monta or Step.

Klay Thompson - One of my favorites again he's a big guy at 6'6" and a half. He can Shoot it compared to Reggie Miller and with his length and that suffocatitng D they played at Wash St. ... I haven't heard about him being a good defender but you gotta think he is one. I like this pick

Kawhi Leonard - I love this kids game I just wish he was 2 inches taller. measures at 6'6" and change though he has a 7'2 wing span which outreaches many 6'8" SF. he is an absolute Rebounding Machine bigtime motor plays like an allstar Power forward but in a SG body. should the warriors take a flyer on him ?

Chris Singleton - Lots of length good defender good rebounder from the SF position. What do we need again ? also a very good finisher but not a guy that'll get his own shot. Compares to Shawn Marion.

Tyler Honeycutt - Jack of all trade very skilled SF out of UCLA, can drive shoot defend rebound. He can do it all, but can he do one of them really well to stand out at the NBA level ? we'll see

Marcus Morris - a very good shooter for his size 6'9" 230lbs a very well rounded and skilled player for his size. Defensively he'll be challenged to either increase his foot speed to guard SF's or Increase his strength to guard PFs.

Markieff Morris - Marcus' Twin plays a more in the paint than his brother maybe the best post player in the draft but can also shoot the ball very well. like his brother needs to get stronger to guard stronger nba PF's.

Tristan Thompson - a legit Power Forward definitely not a tweener, loves to stay in paint good rebounder defender shot blocker and can score in the paint. needs to put on a little weight and then could round out to be a very effective PF

Bismack Biyombo - a lot of hype on this mysterious PF out of Spain. His body is for sure NBA ready he's built like a GI JOE. Projects to be a Ben Wallace mold all defense and rebounding no offense player. unfortunately we don't have a large sample size and if he isn't as good rebounder or defender would be a definite bust.

Enes Kanter - good hands good face up and back to the basket guy. not playing last year would make him a project. has a nasty mean streak download that we need in the Bay.

Jonas Valanciunas - a big time project the kid is only 19 has the frame you want and projected to have the most talent needs to gain weight to be effective on the NBA level are warrior fans willing to wait 2-3 years for this kid to begin to be effective ? not to mention a messy contract buy out with his Euro team could make W's pass on this 7 footer.

Donatas Montiejunas - Not one of my favorites a classic euro PF very athletice run jump agility rating all at high levels great hands and a good shooter and nice size although doesn't like to bang. not a good rebounder and not a very good free throw shooter. also his contract situtation could complicate things with picking 11 also.

ok your guys' thoughts WHO SHOULD WE PICK !

OK, JREED sold me on Burks. Heard Klay Thompson was super skinny so would have to beef up then might lose quickness. I'll say go ahead with burks!!!
User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:43 pm
Location: Foster City, CA
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:41 am
Don't forget about Jimmer! LOL
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:43 am
the... JIMMER FACTOR! No way we even consider him - maybe if Nelly is still the HC.

Rookie
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:28 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 am
actually an espn reporter sorry I forget which one, says that Jimmer Fredette has popped up on the Warriors Draft Board Joe Lacob is enamored by his scoring ability.

I agree with you though JREED we do not need a worse version of Monta Ellis, even picking him in the second round wouldn't make any sense.

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:16 am
I hope Jan Vesely slips to the warriors. He reminds me of AK47, someone that can do a bit of everything.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Hollywood
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:20 am
JREED wrote:
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Alec Burks is now who I hope we pick. He can pass & score with the best of them and is the ideal 2 guard. If we get him at 11 than I could see the front office trading Monta asap.

6-6 guard with some defensive want-to would make it easier to part with Monta. But if Iguodala is who they wanna trade Monta for, then why draft Burks? Is that trade still out there? Sounded serious at end of last week...

My thoughts exactly, if Iggy is no longer an option - draft Burks - even if we don't move Monta, we need a bigger guard even if it's to spell Ellis and Curry and I'm not impressed by any of the big men coming out.


Exactly.

we could have Reggie back up Steph and Alec back up Monta until he's moved (if moved at all).

and Iguodala is more than capable of playing the 3... would actually prefer it because he would be the 4th man down on the scoring todempole. (1/2 = guards, 3 = Lee, 4 = Iggy) and could focus his energy on defense & attacking the basket with his athleticism and not forcing contested jumpers.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:43 am
Even though I cringed at the thought (from a size stand point) of playing Iggy at the 4 with that line up - it might not be all bad considering his length and defensive + rebounding ability, but that would certainly put the emphasis on getting a big/good shot blocking center. OR the 1 in a million chance that Beans either stops being such a ***** or our new coaching staff is able to resurrect him and use him correctly.

Rookie
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:28 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I hope Jan Vesely slips to the warriors. He reminds me of AK47, someone that can do a bit of everything.



jan vesely is a good athlete but he's a terrible on ball defender, inconsistent shooter and a horrible free thrower (50%, ouch), not to mention his contract would be a tough thing to manuever around...I think I'll pass

Rookie
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:52 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:10 am
SAY NO TO BIOMBO!!!

I hope we land Marcus Morris or Chris Singleton.

If we go guard I like Marshon Brooks over Alec Burks. I don't think he will go that high though. I read an article on ESPN comparing Brooks to Kobe Bryant. It's crazy cuz if you watch his tape he really does remind you of Kobe. The way he moves, shoots, walks. Everything. He must be a huge Kobe fan. He even has the same hair style as Kobe when he was younger too. LOL

I think he has more of an offensive game than Burks. From all accounts, Burks has had horrible workouts and got pushed around by defenders.


Marshon Brooks
Brooks’ value is on the rise since his impressive combine performance backed up a very impressive sr season. Marshon is a long 6ft 5, and showed a variety of ways to score from the wing. He is very quick, in the open court and likes to attack the basket, definitely has a scorer’s mentality. He can play above the rim but is adept at avoiding defenders with his length to lay the ball in and convert difficult shots. Marshon has one of the smoothest one on one games in the draft, he uses a lot of fakes and hesitations to get an open shot. He can pull up or post up or make scoop shots or turnarounds by the basket. Brooks is a good ball handler, does a good job of using his body to shield defenders as he feels his way to get a shot off, has a high release on his shot which is difficult to block. He is a good scorer in traffic and doesn’t need a lot of space. His length and quickness allow him to make defensive plays and compete on the glass. Also has a scorer’s confidence and put up a 52 pt game his sr season. Capable 3pt shooter.
Born and raised in the muthaf***'n 808 /
Now I reside in the Golden State!
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Evansville, AR
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:17 am
Beast Mode wrote:
JREED wrote:
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Alec Burks is now who I hope we pick. He can pass & score with the best of them and is the ideal 2 guard. If we get him at 11 than I could see the front office trading Monta asap.

6-6 guard with some defensive want-to would make it easier to part with Monta. But if Iguodala is who they wanna trade Monta for, then why draft Burks? Is that trade still out there? Sounded serious at end of last week...

My thoughts exactly, if Iggy is no longer an option - draft Burks - even if we don't move Monta, we need a bigger guard even if it's to spell Ellis and Curry and I'm not impressed by any of the big men coming out.


Exactly.

we could have Reggie back up Steph and Alec back up Monta until he's moved (if moved at all).

and Iguodala is more than capable of playing the 3... would actually prefer it because he would be the 4th man down on the scoring todempole. (1/2 = guards, 3 = Lee, 4 = Iggy) and could focus his energy on defense & attacking the basket with his athleticism and not forcing contested jumpers.

Sounds good, but what happens to D. Wright or are you figuring him included in a trade? If not, where does he fit in, as SF or backup? Has Wright not earned a starting role or maybe just a worthy bench player?
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:28 am
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:
JREED wrote:
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Alec Burks is now who I hope we pick. He can pass & score with the best of them and is the ideal 2 guard. If we get him at 11 than I could see the front office trading Monta asap.

6-6 guard with some defensive want-to would make it easier to part with Monta. But if Iguodala is who they wanna trade Monta for, then why draft Burks? Is that trade still out there? Sounded serious at end of last week...

My thoughts exactly, if Iggy is no longer an option - draft Burks - even if we don't move Monta, we need a bigger guard even if it's to spell Ellis and Curry and I'm not impressed by any of the big men coming out.


Exactly.

we could have Reggie back up Steph and Alec back up Monta until he's moved (if moved at all).

and Iguodala is more than capable of playing the 3... would actually prefer it because he would be the 4th man down on the scoring todempole. (1/2 = guards, 3 = Lee, 4 = Iggy) and could focus his energy on defense & attacking the basket with his athleticism and not forcing contested jumpers.

Sounds good, but what happens to D. Wright or are you figuring him included in a trade? If not, where does he fit in, as SF or backup? Has Wright not earned a starting role or maybe just a worthy bench player?

D. Wright is a backup - horrible defense and zero rebounding but he can come into a game and get hot.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Hollywood
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:37 am
JREED wrote:D. Wright is a backup - horrible defense and zero rebounding but he can come into a game and get hot.


COMPLETELY agree. D-Wright should be moved to first man off the bench for his immediate scoring ability but he offers NOTHING on defense, is not capable of creating his own shot and isn't really much of a playmaker. He either hits a open three or a fast break dunk..... sounds like a bench player to me. Makes us that much better having him as a depth guy.
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Evansville, AR
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:56 am
Beast Mode wrote:
JREED wrote:D. Wright is a backup - horrible defense and zero rebounding but he can come into a game and get hot.


COMPLETELY agree. D-Wright should be moved to first man off the bench for his immediate scoring ability but he offers NOTHING on defense, is not capable of creating his own shot and isn't really much of a playmaker. He either hits a open three or a fast break dunk..... sounds like a bench player to me. Makes us that much better having him as a depth guy.

Sounds good to me. let's draft the **** outta some people!!!! WHOOOOOO!!!!
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest