Warriors to draft #11 - OFFICIAL DRAFT DAY THREAD!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:43 pm
Beast Mode wrote:He's more like a sooped up Serge Ibaka. Elite defensive and rebounding potential. EXACTLY what we need.

That could be a GOOD pick if still available. Otherwise Morris from KU who I'm not as excited about or Jonas Valanciunas, who could be a better version of Amundson.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:06 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post ... nba-357335

Looks logical enough. Are we interested??

Oh and by the way, Basketball is not Football. You need players who can do the job done in many ways. You can't afford to have a player only for defense or only for scoring. We are not happy with Lee because he can't defend. So what you are proposing is that Warriors coach should decide if he want's to have a PF that scores or a PF that defends. Or maybe to have them on the substitution chair permanently and change them per possession. Or play with 2 PF and no center like this year. I must remind you that we are exactly in that spot right now. If i have to draft a PF i would like to take someone to do the job done in both end's of the floor.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:10 pm
TRON wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/NBA-GMs-Minnesota-trading-No-2-pick;_ylt=AiwYa9sPiETSSNVPZh6Sx1.8vLYF?urn=nba-357335

Looks logical enough. Are we interested??

Oh and by the way, Basketball is not Football. You need players who can do the job done in many ways. You can't afford to have a player only for defense or only for scoring. We are not happy with Lee because he can't defend. So what you are proposing is that Warriors coach should decide if he want's to have a PF that scores or a PF that defends. Or maybe to have them on the substitution chair permanently and change them per possession. Or play with 2 PF and no center like this year. I must remind you that we are exactly in that spot right now. If i have to draft a PF i would like to take someone to do the job done in both end's of the floor.

yes, but weirdly enough, offense is more teachable in the NBA then defense, which is why everyone wants Bimboyo. Udoh is a solid, solid backup center that can easily go starting if his offensive game improves. Bimboyo seems to be the same, but more beefed up and NBA ready.
~LilBallerx~

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:41 pm
I think we need to draft a big, someone who was getting a lot of hype earlier, but not anymore is Donatas Montejunas.

On all the boards he has dropped, but he is a legitimate 7 footer with offensive skill.

Here is what I purpose:
Draft Montejunas at 11.
Draft another big at 42. Example Keith Benson or Greg Smith.
Sign T. Prince as FA.
Sign another SF free agent: example Jonas Jerebko.
Resign R. Williams.

Then come out with a lineup similar to:
PG: Ellis - Curry - Lin
SG: D. Wright - R. Willliams - Bell
SF: Prince - <Some FA>
PF: Lee - Montejunas - Amoundson
C: Udoh - Beans - <2nd Draft pick>

That is a good starting lineup with a good bench.
Williams could even play the 3, and Curry, Wright and Ellis can share the minutes at PG and SG.
The key here is you don't need to spend a lot to get those FA's. And you don't over pay for a Center right now where there aren't many good options out there. Montejunas and Udoh will trade value will also probably go up as they improve, possibly enough to get a Center from a team that is looking to rebuild (who knows what will happen if Magic have a poor season next year, or even the Lakers at that matter).

So you keep flexibility and you improve the lineup.... some people might raise hell for Curry to come off the bench, but it may be for the best.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:50 pm
nobody has mentioned nikola vucevic out of usc... he averaged 17 - 10 this past season in the pac 10 and is the tallest player in this draft... i definitely wouldn't mind picking him at 11
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:53 pm
8th ave wrote:nobody has mentioned nikola vucevic out of usc... he averaged 17 - 10 this past season in the pac 10 and is the tallest player in this draft... i definitely wouldn't mind picking him at 11

He will probably be a second rounder. He has terrible lateral quickness and is not a very strong defender. Not the type of big man that we need.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:57 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
8th ave wrote:nobody has mentioned nikola vucevic out of usc... he averaged 17 - 10 this past season in the pac 10 and is the tallest player in this draft... i definitely wouldn't mind picking him at 11

He will probably be a second rounder. He has terrible lateral quickness and is not a very strong defender. Not the type of big man that we need.

via joseph treutlein of draftexpress.com

Defensively, Vucevic's strengths and limitations remain largely the same. Displaying a solid fundamental base and effort level to go along with terrific length, and good positioning and timing as a shot blocker, Vucevic does a decent job overall, but is prone to being outmuscled in the post and outquicked on the perimeter by bigger, stronger athletes. His length helps compensate for this somewhat, though, as he can contest shots very effectively with his long wingspan.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nik ... z1NQ4LszCZ
http://www.draftexpress.com

honestly... i havent watched ANY of these kids play because i don't watch college basketball... not even the ncaa tournaments, so i know some of you can shed more light than i can, but until then i can only go by what these draft experts say...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 pm
8th ave wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:

via joseph treutlein of draftexpress.com

Defensively, Vucevic's strengths and limitations remain largely the same. Displaying a solid fundamental base and effort level to go along with terrific length, and good positioning and timing as a shot blocker, Vucevic does a decent job overall, but is prone to being outmuscled in the post and outquicked on the perimeter by bigger, stronger athletes. His length helps compensate for this somewhat, though, as he can contest shots very effectively with his long wingspan.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nik ... z1NQ4LszCZ
http://www.draftexpress.com

honestly... i havent watched ANY of these kids play because i don't watch college basketball... not even the ncaa tournaments, so i know some of you can shed more light than i can, but until then i can only go by what these draft experts say...

I haven't seen him play a lot either to tell you the truth. I was in a big hurry when I posted that and couldn't elaborate much. The games I saw he didn't strike me as a strong NBA player. Maybe because his guards didn't involve him enough, because his efficiency was always very good as a scorer. Truth is, I was actually mostly going on analysis I read in a draft thread on him the other day, in which everyone was discussing him as a 2nd round prospect and really questioning his defense. That's why I thought it was weird you seemed so ok with using the #11 pick on him. Not that I think he will be terrible or will be pissed if we draft him, I just thought he could be picked later in the draft. He would by no means be a terrible pick, I just thought he was more of an offensive C, and the major questions about him were whether or not he could be a defensive anchor (something we desperately need in a C). With the right coach, a 20 year old talented C could be a great pick.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:20 am
Looks like we worked out a few guys yesterday. One of the guys who we worked out and I have liked for a while now is Chris Singleton. Looks like he had a pretty good workout and from the sounds of this article this is EXACTLY the type of player we need. Besides Kanter, he is probably my favorite propect in the draft for this team. I think he is already a better defender than Leonard, and although not as skilled on offense, I think he has the swag, attitude and skills to be a lock down defender. Apparently he already locked down one of the drafts best scorers in Jordan Hamilton at their workout with the Dubs yesterday and that wasn't enough for Singleton. Read this article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/31/SPDR1JNQ2J.DTL&feed=rss.warriors

Love the following quote :

"I pride myself on 1-on-1 defense. I hate to lose. I want to win every matchup," Singleton said. "I'll bring defense right away."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1O39BPmcs
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:44 pm
Here is the 4 picks in that I think we should go for at 11, in the order I would rank them.
If #1 is not there, then go to #2... etc.

1) Donatas Montejunas -> 7 foot who can shoot. Can he play D? Can he be a center? Who knows.. .but 7 footers have trade value in case it doesn't work out.
2) Marcus Morris -> has 3 point range. Is a strong NBA built SF. Dos he have the speed to guard 3's? Who knows, but if not can be a serviceable backup PF.
3) Alec Burks -> They say he can play backup PG or SG. Most likely SG, and he as the size and scoring ability... Defense questionable.
4) Jimmer Freddete -> Curry 2.0. He can come off the bench and light up the score board at PG or SG. Can he defend? Some who seen him in workouts says he can.

---------EDIT---------------

After looking at some more info and clips adding a player:
1) Donatas Montejunas
2) Chris Singleton
3) Marcus Morris
4) Alec Burks
5) Jimmer Freddete

Singleton has a greater wingspan, more atheletism than Marcus. He is a better defender, a little bit bigger and stronger too. Not as good offensively, but defense is what we need coming off the bench. Scouting reports says he has NBA range, so with practice his offense will come.
Last edited by GSW Hoops Fan on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:11 pm
1. Jonas Valanciunas
2. Alec Burks
3. Chris Singleton
4. Jordan Hamilton
5. Kawhi Leonard

my top 5 if they were all available at our pick [took out the people with no chance to be there]
Last edited by Beast Mode on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:33 pm
The newest DraftExpress mock draft has us taking Kemba Walker. Klay Thompson, whom had been at the #11 spot most of the last few weeks, gets taken by the Bucks at 10. This is all caused by Minn taking Kanter at 2, forcing the dominoes to fall differently throughout the lottery.

Is this stuff for real? Or last second "news" just to drum up more hype for the draft?

And I was just starting to get comfortable with taking Klay.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:39 pm
Alec Burks is now who I hope we pick. He can pass & score with the best of them and is the ideal 2 guard. If we get him at 11 than I could see the front office trading Monta asap.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:33 am
Beast Mode wrote:Alec Burks is now who I hope we pick. He can pass & score with the best of them and is the ideal 2 guard. If we get him at 11 than I could see the front office trading Monta asap.

6-6 guard with some defensive want-to would make it easier to part with Monta. But if Iguodala is who they wanna trade Monta for, then why draft Burks? Is that trade still out there? Sounded serious at end of last week...
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 am
WARRIORHOG8 wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Alec Burks is now who I hope we pick. He can pass & score with the best of them and is the ideal 2 guard. If we get him at 11 than I could see the front office trading Monta asap.

6-6 guard with some defensive want-to would make it easier to part with Monta. But if Iguodala is who they wanna trade Monta for, then why draft Burks? Is that trade still out there? Sounded serious at end of last week...

My thoughts exactly, if Iggy is no longer an option - draft Burks - even if we don't move Monta, we need a bigger guard even if it's to spell Ellis and Curry and I'm not impressed by any of the big men coming out.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball