Winning record next season!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:42 pm
migya wrote:
TRON wrote:Dwight would come if we also got Paul. I would tank the hole team to get those two. With craps beside them we are in the playoffs. In 2-3 years we could be contenders.

If the FO could get Paul AND him be willining to actually stay and play here, then other moves would be much easier in improving the team, but that is quite an IF. I'd much rather go for another very good big, not Dwight as he is a superstar and much harder and more expensive to get. Horford would be great, but MGasol has been showing he is much better than what he was during the season in the playoffs and that justifies my wanting of him for over a year and a half now. Getting him might not be so hard, though getting harder with every good playoff performance he has

griz' front office told zach randolph when they re-signed him that they will bring back marc gason, so you can throw that one out the window as well
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:46 pm
One thing that I don't get with some of the ideas here. Why do you think it's a given that Magic would trade Howard to the Lakers?

OK, if he leaves as a free agent, that's one thing, but why would they trade him to the Lakers, who are contenders every year? If Magic wants to get better, and to get something good in return for Howard, so they could still be a top tier team, why would they strengthen a rival team? Makes no sense. They will look for a team that has good talent that they think could help them out, or change their style of playing. Like, for instance, Warriors, Rockets, or some good enough team from the West, that was in a hunt for playoffs, but didn't make because Western Conference is much tougher. So, they could get good players from those teams, and not upgrade another contender's roster in a process.

At least, that's how I think, and what I would look to do...but again, that's just me.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:07 pm
The only way for them (Paul and Howard)to come here is knowing that they BOTH will be here. I never said is possible, i just said i would try anything to make it happen. Now if we just want a good big, i just read that Nene will opt out this summer.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:09 pm
Guybrush wrote:One thing that I don't get with some of the ideas here. Why do you think it's a given that Magic would trade Howard to the Lakers?

OK, if he leaves as a free agent, that's one thing, but why would they trade him to the Lakers, who are contenders every year? If Magic wants to get better, and to get something good in return for Howard, so they could still be a top tier team, why would they strengthen a rival team? Makes no sense. They will look for a team that has good talent that they think could help them out, or change their style of playing. Like, for instance, Warriors, Rockets, or some good enough team from the West, that was in a hunt for playoffs, but didn't make because Western Conference is much tougher. So, they could get good players from those teams, and not upgrade another contender's roster in a process.

At least, that's how I think, and what I would look to do...but again, that's just me.

You do trades with other great teams, because they've got talented players that know how to contribute to winning. That's why it is very likely that the Magic would trade Dwight to the Lakers for something like Bynum or PGasol plus fillers

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:10 pm
8th ave wrote:
migya wrote:
TRON wrote:Dwight would come if we also got Paul. I would tank the hole team to get those two. With craps beside them we are in the playoffs. In 2-3 years we could be contenders.

If the FO could get Paul AND him be willining to actually stay and play here, then other moves would be much easier in improving the team, but that is quite an IF. I'd much rather go for another very good big, not Dwight as he is a superstar and much harder and more expensive to get. Horford would be great, but MGasol has been showing he is much better than what he was during the season in the playoffs and that justifies my wanting of him for over a year and a half now. Getting him might not be so hard, though getting harder with every good playoff performance he has

griz' front office told zach randolph when they re-signed him that they will bring back marc gason, so you can throw that one out the window as well

Where did you hear that? If that's true, oh well, but if not, I'd go for MGasol for sure, you can see how much of a solid big man he is

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:27 pm
migya wrote:
Guybrush wrote:One thing that I don't get with some of the ideas here. Why do you think it's a given that Magic would trade Howard to the Lakers?

You do trades with other great teams, because they've got talented players that know how to contribute to winning. That's why it is very likely that the Magic would trade Dwight to the Lakers for something like Bynum or PGasol plus fillers

I know they do that, but I think it's logical to first look elsewhere. Howard is a superstar, he is just one player, but he is a game changer and he brings a lot to the table, in all categories. On the other hand, Pau Gasol and Bynum are just 2nd or even 3rd violins to some superstar. I don't know how good they could be on their own. I might be wrong, but they are just playing better when they have someone to carry the biggest load (i.e. Kobe). Though, they are good big players, which is hard to find these days.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:55 pm
Guybrush wrote:
migya wrote:

I know they do that, but I think it's logical to first look elsewhere. Howard is a superstar, he is just one player, but he is a game changer and he brings a lot to the table, in all categories. On the other hand, Pau Gasol and Bynum are just 2nd or even 3rd violins to some superstar. I don't know how good they could be on their own. I might be wrong, but they are just playing better when they have someone to carry the biggest load (i.e. Kobe). Though, they are good big players, which is hard to find these days.

Paul Gasol can carry your team to be 8th seed in the playoffs year in year out as the best player. He has done that Bynum can carry a team, but he hasn't shown he can healthy for majority of the regular season that the problem. Realistically the Warriors only moves are go add more depth and they need the depth to work for this team to be a playoff team. If the depth don't work it will be just like this season there no game changer on this team.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:18 pm
fullmetalx wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
migya wrote:

Paul Gasol can carry your team to be 8th seed in the playoffs year in year out as the best player. He has done that Bynum can carry a team, but he hasn't shown he can healthy for majority of the regular season that the problem. Realistically the Warriors only moves are go add more depth and they need the depth to work for this team to be a playoff team. If the depth don't work it will be just like this season there no game changer on this team.

If we bring back the same time next year... no changes... no injuries. We will be a 40+ team. That is just the by the fact that our young guys are getting better. You can see it in there games twoards the end... but they haven't been consistent. With some rest and time to add to their game over the break, they will be better next year.

With some other teams in the west getting weaker, I think we can be a 42+ team with no changes. (that is just 6 more wins with the same team). Adding decent big men to the depth, a solid backups guard (and maybe a new SF), will give us a good bench. With that perhaps we can win 46+ games and get into the playoffs as eighth seed. Depending on who we bring in at center, we could go even farther.

So I am totally with you in adding depth will get us to the palyoffs. (Also we'll have to see who we get for a coach.... that's a game changer there).
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 pm
add a SF through draft + center through free agency + udoh, lin, law, adrien, reggie summer league + better coach

= low +6, likely +8, high +12
~LilBallerx~

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:05 pm
I like the idea of the Warriors adding depth and taking it (relatively) slow. With a good focus and some help down low, this is absolutely an above-.500 roster. I could definitely see these guys being a 7/8 seed if they have some more talent on the bench. Imagine how much more effective Monta would be playing 35 minutes a game and being backed up by a defensive stalwart like Keith Bogans (2.5m this year)? You take away points on one end and you allow Monta to play with even more energy in crunch time.

Any thoughts of the W's adding some huge free agents or making a trade for a superstar this off-season is pure fantasy. For one, the CBA is expiring and the cap should be coming down. Although Monta is a terrific value contract ($11m for his numbers and leadership is a steal by anyone's standards), no one is willing to take on a significant salary when there is so much uncertainty about the financial restrictions of the next CBA. Additionally, with small markets like New Orleans and Orlando pushing for a franchise tag or a super-Bird rights provision, odds are stronger than ever that teams wait and see if they will be able to retain their superstars after all. What if a stronger revenue sharing plan allows small markets to compete on an even more level playing field?

Since no one is willing to take on salary, what can the Warriors do? Trade Monta for an even crappier contract? I'm sure the Pistons would LOVE to unload Ben Gordon on us if we let them...
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:46 pm
Raider1015 wrote:Any thoughts of the W's adding some huge free agents or making a trade for a superstar this off-season is pure fantasy. For one, the CBA is expiring and the cap should be coming down. Although Monta is a terrific value contract ($11m for his numbers and leadership is a steal by anyone's standards), no one is willing to take on a significant salary when there is so much uncertainty about the financial restrictions of the next CBA. Additionally, with small markets like New Orleans and Orlando pushing for a franchise tag or a super-Bird rights provision, odds are stronger than ever that teams wait and see if they will be able to retain their superstars after all. What if a stronger revenue sharing plan allows small markets to compete on an even more level playing field?

just because the cap is coming down doesn't mean it lessens the chances of worser teams of adding a big name, it actually might mean the total opposite... i know that in 2005, teams were granted one time luxury amnesty provisions. teams were granted 1 time exceptions of being able to waive ANY player without it counting against the salary cap(the players was still owed the money they signed for, of course).... no teams bought out notable players, let alone superstars, but who is to say it wont happen this time?

maybe the cap gets so low that the heat would have to use their amnesty clause on one of their big 3? maybe orlando decides to use it on arenas? maybe joe johnson becomes available after atlanta realizes that he isnt worth max money? heck... the lakers will save 25 million dollars ANNUALLY if they buy out kobe

I DONT KNOW... im JUST sayin
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:59 am
We got one bad bad team ... mostly because of the Musselhead effect ... we bring in short term coaches who try to win now and the team keeps on recycling projects. We lost so much talent with players that Nellie ejected and brought meaningless second round picks in return. The best example is Memphis ... without Gay, the team is much better ... without Elllis our team would be just as bad, but not a winner ... it is clear Memphis has Battier (an elite role player) two legit scoring bigs (gasol and zbo) and a quick point and we have nothing besides Ellis jr in Curry. We need bigs and a point guard ... not going happen any time soon.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball