Which coach would you want this summer?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:21 pm
Bring back Smart unless you're hitting a home run. No reason to make a jarring change for the sake of "shaking things up." Especially since the word is Smart has the player's respect. I hear San Antonio's assistant, Mike Budenholzer, is a hot commodity who would fit the bill, but other than him, I'm not sure what's available. Jerry Sloan, Doc Rivers, Rick Adleman? 0% any of those happen. Absolutely none.

Give Smart a year and a few tools on the bench and see if they can get over .500 (should be possible with the projected downfall of Phoenix, Utah, as well as San Antonio and maybe Los Angeles losing another step).
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:06 pm
Raider1015 wrote:Bring back Smart unless you're hitting a home run. No reason to make a jarring change for the sake of "shaking things up." Especially since the word is Smart has the player's respect. I hear San Antonio's assistant, Mike Budenholzer, is a hot commodity who would fit the bill, but other than him, I'm not sure what's available. Jerry Sloan, Doc Rivers, Rick Adleman? 0% any of those happen. Absolutely none.

Give Smart a year and a few tools on the bench and see if they can get over .500 (should be possible with the projected downfall of Phoenix, Utah, as well as San Antonio and maybe Los Angeles losing another step).

With all respect I think the team has to and already should have started with different personnel, including coaching and management. Rowell should go and so should Smart and any assistant coaches still here from Nelson's stint.

I'd even take no expreience as head coach Mario Ellie over Smart, just because he likely would have the motivation to do well, is a former player and the type of man that would get the players' respect.

Also, Utah and Phoenix have already fallen to almost as bad as the team is now, so not any of the teams ahead of us have fallen or will likely fall. Even Dallas and San Antonio, both aging teams, I think will fall until their big man stars leave, which will probably be at least another three or four years. The only way the team becomes a playoff one, is to make changes, as this roster looks like it won't go anywhere

migya make the ring fall on ya

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 pm
to tie in what Migya is saying, Smart is still a part of the old regime... we need new blood. Blood that fits a new style. Not Nellyball 2.0 ("Smart" ball)... Sloan will not coach for us. And no way do i want Mark Jackson coaching us (someone before mentioned his name. He is annoying as an announcer. His comments are so simple and obvious.

Mario ELle is an interesting name, but I would prefer a proven coach. Adelman was a winner everywhere he has been (except Oakland). Maybe he would like to redeem himself.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 pm
TRON wrote:The reason Adelman is not continuing with Rockets is because they want to develop a new team based in new talent's and he is not interested in that. He want's to go to a team ready to claim the ring. That mean's he is not our guy. He don't want us, we dont want him.

Based on that criteria, he wont have many options going into next season. Lakers and Celtics are possibilities, I think the Heat are going to give Spoelstra one more year (or a half if Riley thinks that the team is poised for him to come in and steal the glory). Besides all that the Rockets dumped Adelman, not the other way around.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:37 pm
I want Smart to stay as a assistant coach
~LilBallerx~

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:44 pm
nooo, no keith dumb please, he used acie law to close out games and lost em.. :banghead: got respect from players doesnt mean he will win us games, stats dont lie, look at warriors record this yr [-(
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:41 pm
facue420 wrote:nooo, no keith dumb please, he used acie law to close out games and lost em.. :banghead: got respect from players doesnt mean he will win us games, stats dont lie, look at warriors record this yr [-(

keep him as an assistant coach, his attitude is the thing I like, very no-bs type of mind
unfortunately, his other ideas are retarded
~LilBallerx~

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:44 am
I don't know if it's possible yet, but how about Van Gundy? And I don't mean JVG, I'm talking about SVG if he gets fired from Orlando. If their owner decides to stick with Otis Smith and Orlando loses in the first round it is very possible Van Gundy could be canned in Orlando. The guy is from the Riley coaching tree, so he can coach defense. He's had success wherever he's went, could've taken a Miami team to a championship and did take an Orlando team to one.

I dunno just food for thought.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:14 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:I don't know if it's possible yet, but how about Van Gundy? And I don't mean JVG, I'm talking about SVG if he gets fired from Orlando. If their owner decides to stick with Otis Smith and Orlando loses in the first round it is very possible Van Gundy could be canned in Orlando. The guy is from the Riley coaching tree, so he can coach defense. He's had success wherever he's went, could've taken a Miami team to a championship and did take an Orlando team to one.

Don't think he'd want to come here, he'd be sort after by a much better team anyway. I'm thinking that Houston will be the place he goes if he does get fired and Houston hasn't picked another coach yet

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 am
migya wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:I don't know if it's possible yet, but how about Van Gundy? And I don't mean JVG, I'm talking about SVG if he gets fired from Orlando. If their owner decides to stick with Otis Smith and Orlando loses in the first round it is very possible Van Gundy could be canned in Orlando. The guy is from the Riley coaching tree, so he can coach defense. He's had success wherever he's went, could've taken a Miami team to a championship and did take an Orlando team to one.

Don't think he'd want to come here, he'd be sort after by a much better team anyway. I'm thinking that Houston will be the place he goes if he does get fired and Houston hasn't picked another coach yet

Don't know why you would say that. There are not gonna be very many high profile jobs out there, with the Rockets seeming like the only other realistic destination at the moment. And I don't know how a core of Martin/ Scola/ Lowry is better than one of Ellis/Curry/Lee? They have a decent roster, but with no real star talent, and no high draft picks, the future does not look too bright at the moment. Plus their GM seems intent on making a youth movement, and if he decides to trade Martin or Scola, I don't know if SVG is willing to wait.

We are a team poised to make the next step, and offense is the least of our problems. Playing disciplined defense first and foremost and not bailing out the other team early with fouls is what we need from a coach to help us take that next step. SVG is a good defensive coach and this roster already has 2 playmakers as good or better than the Magic's best (Jameer Nelson).

The only possible destination I could see him really wanting is to go to NY, but after the players recently back D'Antoni, and Walsh got offered an extension, it looks like that Mike D is staying another year.
Get Money. Get Paid.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
migya wrote:

Don't know why you would say that. There are not gonna be very many high profile jobs out there, with the Rockets seeming like the only other realistic destination at the moment. And I don't know how a core of Martin/ Scola/ Lowry is better than one of Ellis/Curry/Lee? They have a decent roster, but with no real star talent, and no high draft picks, the future does not look too bright at the moment. Plus their GM seems intent on making a youth movement, and if he decides to trade Martin or Scola, I don't know if SVG is willing to wait.

We are a team poised to make the next step, and offense is the least of our problems. Playing disciplined defense first and foremost and not bailing out the other team early with fouls is what we need from a coach to help us take that next step. SVG is a good defensive coach and this roster already has 2 playmakers as good or better than the Magic's best (Jameer Nelson).

The only possible destination I could see him really wanting is to go to NY, but after the players recently back D'Antoni, and Walsh got offered an extension, it looks like that Mike D is staying another year.

I was just going to mention the Knicks as a possible landing spot for until you beat me to it. I don't know what direction NY will want to go. If they want to continue to play street ball under D'Antoni or if they want to change philosphy to a more defensive orriented style. I think SVG would be a nice fit for the Warriors, but I do think he'd go to Houston before he came here because they've already established that defensive mindset under Adleman so the transition would be more seamless.

Now about Smart, I think his undoing was how he handled Curry. Safe to say Curry regressed under Smart in his 2nd season. How he was on the bench during crucial times of the game, while some D-leaguer like Acie Law would be in the game for long stretches. If Curry is to get better he needs to play through the wrinkles. And I understand that Smart was trying to win as many games as possible. He still mishandled Curry. Under Smart we played run and gun basketball, but yet we wanted to play defense with undersized players. Same old story.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:56 pm
I get it that the rockets have players more disciplined on defense, but svg is a defensive coach and the rockets as of now have the nuggets as their ceiling as martin is their best player and the only thing he s better at than Monta is flopping his way to the free throw line. A proven defensive minded coach with a proven defensive minded system would get this team into the playoffs next year with a young core to build upon. I don't think the situations are that drastically different that an owner trying to make a nice splash with his first coaching hire can't convince with some extra cash.

Sorry the post most likely hassome grammar mistakes but i'm typing on a phone
Get Money. Get Paid.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:36 am
I have a funny feeling that the new management's coach decision will also be a surprise for us. Does anybody know a proven coach in NCAA that could make the switch to the NBA?

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:15 pm
There are three basic type coaches. Coaches bigs and defense .pops ..doc , thibs, phillip...ok coaches and Warrior coaches ... miss the playoffs ... no D and zero development of bigs. I expect us to get another lottery bound coach sheesh.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 am
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post ... nba-348729

Any thought's ???????

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball