Best team building strategy to make this team a winner?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 am
any thoughts?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 am
Obviously changes are needed and I'd prefer doing alot of it by trades rather than thinking that a rookie or two and/or a free agent or two would do the trick, because they wouldn't. I think Monta has such high value right now and AB so little that it is best to trade them together or AB will be hard to trade. I'd prefer getting MGasol, but I've noticed that the Hawks will want to make changes, as they have not been able to crack into the elite in the east, while Chicago did so in one offseason. Something like Monta and AB for JSmith and Horford, add another big from our end, be it the draft pick in this upcoming draft.

I personally don't like the way Curry now plays, less of a distributor, and the team needs a very good distributing PG. I'd trade him to the Knicks, as it looks like he still wants to go there, but I'd do a three team trade, getting someone like Chris Paul would be the best deal for me, but the Knicks and the Warriors would have to send a fair bit to get that trade done. Maybe Raymond Felton would be good, but he doesn't seem like an upgrade to Curry.

Anything which gives the team a very good, if not a star, Center is the biggest requirement, as that position is the hardest to fill and guards are the easiest to find.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:01 am
As much as it sounds good, I don't think Atlanta would give away Josh Smith and Al Horford for Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins. I would guess that Horford (at least to them) has more value right now than Ellis does. As you said Migya, big guys are the most important pieces right now, and they wouldn't do themselves a favor by sending away both their starting big guys for poor Biedrins and Monta (who's great, but plays the same position as Joe Johnson).

The best thing for us would be to get Chris Paul somehow. It would be good if we could keep one of our guards, but if we get a productive center and Paul, I could live with them both leaving. I just can't see how we could acquire Paul, whether in two way or three way deal. If Hornets would go for straight up trade Monta for Paul, that would be great, of course, if Paul signs extension here.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 pm
I don't think getting paul is a good idea, becuase he will likely bolt to NY when he is a free agent.
I would hate to give up Monta. He may be a bit undersized defensively for a SG, but a team he would florish under is the Lakers. He could play the point, since in their system there is no real point guard, each position can make the play. A back court of Ellis/Bryant would be sick.

But what would the trade be??
Monta + Beans for Bynum + Blake + Shanon Brown and a couple of first round picks.

You would have
Curry/Brown/Wright/Lee/Bynum

with Steve Blake as a solid PG coming of the bench.
Also the first round picks would be key, as you can use them to in the draft, or to help facilitate a trade for some solid bench players.

I don't see a whole lot of other trade perposals out there that make a lot of sense. And I probably wouldn't do this trade because as a fan I want to see the team be loyal to Ellis, as he has put a lot of sweet and blood into the team. I am sure he would be excited to go to the Lakers though.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm
any trade we do for Ellis needs us to get a
a) quality big
b) a decent PG BECAUSE CURRY NEEDS TO PLAY SG, HIS NATURAL POSITION
~LilBallerx~

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:26 pm
If Curry is to play SG, then we would once again have an undersized guard.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 pm
LilBallerx8 wrote:any trade we do for Ellis needs us to get a
a) quality big
b) a decent PG BECAUSE CURRY NEEDS TO PLAY SG, HIS NATURAL POSITION

The trade I mentioned above you could put Blake at starting PG and Curry at SG. Bynum is a starting 5 for sure, just have to hope he can stay healthy.

However I will disagree with you that curry needs to play SG. I think Curry needs to play PG. He is too small and not athletic enough for the SG position, and he does have great BBIQ to play the PG. I think he will be like Nash as he gets more experience. Great offensive player, but always a liability on D.

Brown has size and can shoot the ball, I think he would make an excellent SG, and he can play D.
Lineup like:
Curry/Brown/Wright/Lee/Bynum would defenately get you to the playoffs..... with a solid bench maybe even the second round.

After that you would have to evaluate how to make it better to get to Championship contention.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:47 pm
First and foremost get a new coach, Smart has the reminiscence of Nellie, trading player A for player B means nothing when the roster is not utilized properly by a coach. I have been so frustrated lately with the development of this team and its forward progress because of coaching.

The base and structure is everything for a team any team, yes of course players are instrumental, but warriors are not going to hit the jackpot all of a sudden and get all the missing links to make a championship team. Am at the peak of frustration because this team is healthy they have certain pieces but they are not utilized properly, so many game I almost want to break the T.V. because of Coach smarts head scratching sub patterns, excessive playing times of certain players or lack there off, the mis-use of the bench, not knowing that Beans sucks and giving more playing time to Udoh and even Gadz (when he was still a warrior). Games in which bench players would perform well and next game they get no playing time.

So pretty much get a coach that knows how to coach and how to manage a game.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:53 pm
Guybrush wrote:As much as it sounds good, I don't think Atlanta would give away Josh Smith and Al Horford for Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins. I would guess that Horford (at least to them) has more value right now than Ellis does. As you said Migya, big guys are the most important pieces right now, and they wouldn't do themselves a favor by sending away both their starting big guys for poor Biedrins and Monta (who's great, but plays the same position as Joe Johnson).

The best thing for us would be to get Chris Paul somehow. It would be good if we could keep one of our guards, but if we get a productive center and Paul, I could live with them both leaving. I just can't see how we could acquire Paul, whether in two way or three way deal. If Hornets would go for straight up trade Monta for Paul, that would be great, of course, if Paul signs extension here.

Yea, the Hawks would likely not even look at that seriously. I'd add Lee to Monta and AB, but I don't see who Atlanta also includes in such a deal to make the money work, maybe Hinrich. If that'd work, I'd do it.

I've always liked Paul and I do think his value is a bit lower now, both due to decrease in production and injuries the last couple of seasons. I'd trade Monta for him straight up, but as you said, Paul would have to sign an extension and I don't think he'd do that at all. He might well go to the Knicks, which would make them a top 4 team all up for sure. That'd likely ensure Curry doesn't go there actually

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:37 pm
Of realistic targets in a trade mentioned here, the most realistic GOOD option, is to trade for Josh Smith. I think Atlanta wants a new starting C, so they can move Horford to PF. Probably wouldn't be interested in Lee or Biedrins, so we would need to find a 3rd team to make such a deal happen.

I like Smith for a few reasons. One is the guy is obviously an immense talent who affects all facets of the game. Plus I think he has been a little disgruntled in Atlanta the past few years, and lack of opportunities and attitude have made it so he yet to reach his full potential. I think he would compliment our backcourt pretty well, on both sides of the ball as Smith isn't much of an ISO player looking to get 20 shots a game. Plus the guy is good friends with Monta and they both respect the hell out of each other. I wanted us to at least try to sign Smith to an RFA contract a few years back, when he wanted out of Atlanta, but instead we decided to go with Maggette and other pieces that were traded away from scraps
Get Money. Get Paid.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:23 pm
It seems like the team has a quite a few holes to fill. I don't see a offensive post player, a defensive post player, or a perimiter defender. They do have plenty of perimiter scoring, which is part of the puzzle. I'm working on what I think is the formula to build a winning team, but I'm gathering stats and info from all the good teams the last 20 years before I make my post.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 pm
Crocoducks wrote:It seems like the team has a quite a few holes to fill. I don't see a offensive post player, a defensive post player, or a perimiter defender. They do have plenty of perimiter scoring, which is part of the puzzle. I'm working on what I think is the formula to build a winning team, but I'm gathering stats and info from all the good teams the last 20 years before I make my post.

Here's one hint for all the past champions of the last 20 years, Most if not all (recent Piston's maybe the exemption) have had a player who is in the top 50 greatest of all time.

We need players and a system that are committed to playing both sides of the ball. Lee although a good player is not the fit for this team without a defensive stud C next to him. Monta can play both if he had a coach that held him accountable for when he's lazy on D (Recent coaches can't because they play him 48 minutes a night). Curry doesn't look like he will ever be a good defender, but with effort could at least become more serviceable.
Get Money. Get Paid.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:48 pm
If the Warriors want to win, and when I say win, I dont mean 8th seed, 1st round exit. They need to change their identity. This run-n-gun, outscore everyone philosophy hasn't won a title in years, and I don't mean like 5-10-15 years. I'm talking many years. Look at the last teams standing when you watch the Finals every year. I hope Lacob is smart enough to figure out after watching the Celtics as a minority owner built a lockdown defensive title team. And that the Warriors can't win big (titles) if they refuse to play defense and aren't able to consistently run the half court set.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:02 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:
Crocoducks wrote:It seems like the team has a quite a few holes to fill. I don't see a offensive post player, a defensive post player, or a perimiter defender. They do have plenty of perimiter scoring, which is part of the puzzle. I'm working on what I think is the formula to build a winning team, but I'm gathering stats and info from all the good teams the last 20 years before I make my post.

Here's one hint for all the past champions of the last 20 years, Most if not all (recent Piston's maybe the exemption) have had a player who is in the top 50 greatest of all time.

We need players and a system that are committed to playing both sides of the ball. Lee although a good player is not the fit for this team without a defensive stud C next to him. Monta can play both if he had a coach that held him accountable for when he's lazy on D (Recent coaches can't because they play him 48 minutes a night). Curry doesn't look like he will ever be a good defender, but with effort could at least become more serviceable.

That is why the Detriot Pistons team was so awesome.... it was the best TEAM ever assembled. Each piece (player) was different than the next. All brought a different element. Plus they had Mason (the cool PA announcer dude) and always played The Final COuntdown!

Take Note Golden States.... I do PA announcing (and love that song)! :mrgreen:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 am
I don't think there's a single person who doesn't like that song.

Here we go:

::razz:
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball