Monta says Warriors are soft

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:10 pm
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/21 ... _Something

With new ownership in place, Monta Ellis is on good terms with the Golden State front office. Ellis was fined $3 million by the Warriors and suspended for 30 games after he tore an ankle ligament in an offseason motorbike accident.

"I'm not going to demand something," he says. "As long as I'm under contract with Golden State, I'm going to be here."

The Warriors are currently 27-33, but frequently are outplayed by teams with big frontcourts.

"We got the talent," says Ellis. "When we have the heart to go out there and compete every night, we'll be all right.

"We're considered one of the softest teams in the NBA. Even teams softer than us come in and try to bully us. Some guys let it be. Until you get the heart of that dog in you, you won't win."

he's totally correct...at the same time maybe he should be looking in the mirror. probably gives the least effort on D and his mental toughness isn't the greatest. I'd venture to say Reggie Williams shows up more in clutch than anyone else on the team. so Monta makes this comment and then let's Ray Allen light him up for 20 points just in the first half? where's that toughness at Monta?
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 pm
He is spot on.
~LilBallerx~

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:19 am
I agree that the team is soft and that Monta himself is a culprit in this. I really would look to trade him, along with aB preferrably, for a great Center and a SG that plays better defensively than Monta. The softness has been around for too long really and will only go with roster changes, proper ones that is ofcourse

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:48 pm
migya wrote:I agree that the team is soft and that Monta himself is a culprit in this. I really would look to trade him, along with aB preferrably, for a great Center and a SG that plays better defensively than Monta. The softness has been around for too long really and will only go with roster changes, proper ones that is ofcourse

I definitely don't think Monta is "soft" hes pound for pound one of the toughest guys out there( plays through injury, always drives to the basket and gets knocked around repeatedly, will defend bigger stronger guys, if he feels insulted or challenged he will take it-- i.e. kobe last lakers game near the end, even though kobe still burned his ass.)

but sadly somehow toughness doesn't translate to great defense, which frustrates me because monta can be a great defender, but he only tries half the time. Partly it's because of the minutes he's putting up and his load on offense, Smart has blame, but so does Monta because he either needs to tell smart to play him less( which he wont), or save more damn on defense than offense sometimes, which probably wont happen either since we have NO one other than curry that can constantly create for themselves.

As for the rest of the team, I think I'm less pissed at them because I honestly don't think Lee and curry will ever be good defenders, they're not strong or laterally quick enough. But curry will still be an amazing player regardless, Lee is at his peak. AB is done... he just puts his hands up, and jumps vertically, getting ready to complain about the foul that's going to be called on him...

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:30 pm
The Warriors are soft???

I'm shocked!!!
Aiming for a Warriors team as good as their fans.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:30 am
Yeah I wouldnt say monta is soft, he's one of the league leaders in steals year n year out, like iverson was, and he was a tough nut. that doesnt make him a lockdown defender obviously, but he certainly isnt soft. and when you consider how much he gets banged around going to the hole, and gets no foul calls.. i'd pick on the old bad attitude monta, but not the new monta. he's got my respect.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:34 am
I agree with his statement, but I fully disagree with the notion that Ellis is guilty of a lack of effort on D. I guess when it comes to something like defense people make less excuses and always chop it up to a lack of effort and drive, as if skill has nothing to do with it. I feel like Monta goes out there and plays with as much effort as anyone else, and even when his man is normally not the guy that tears us up (normally it's a big), everyone wants to point the finger at him.

In the eyes of most it will always be, bad D = lack of effort and not what it really is, bad D = Lack of size + lack of skill...

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:26 pm
Monta plays bad D, but can you really blame him if he leads the NBA in minutes played? Its not that he doesn't care, but how can you play that much without getting tired?

If his minuters were somewhat human, I bet that his D would improve.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:27 pm
Monta is definitely a clutch player, he just proved it once more, and that's important. If we played some defense, and could sit Monta a bit to give him a rest, his defense would be fine, I'm sure.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 pm
If anyone here is watching the overtime against the Sixers you can see how bad is defense overall. All of their shots were from the paint pretty much. Pathetic.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 pm
The team is softer than ever before I think. I see less defenders and rebounders and more want to be scorers and less than average nba talent players. Teams score against us too easily and this roster will never win much, they have overachieved as it is.

Wholesale roster changes are needed and maybe even with the coaching staff as well

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 am
this excuse that Monta doesn't play D cuz he's tired is baloney. why doesn't this same fatigue prevent him from shooting 20 times a game and dribbling all over the place? his defensive instincts and focus have sucked since his rookie season and haven't changed much to this day. what message does it send to the rest of the team, when its supposed "best player" still makes a lot of boneheaded plays and usually never has the best bbiq on the court. that's what separates the superstars from the mortals in a way (great talent + bbIQ....Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, T. Duncan, CP3, D Wade, Dirk, etc etc).

maybe I have a different definition of "toughness." I think the main kind that WINS GAMES is having a competitve toughness. A guy like Rodney Stuckey or Monta may take a beating physically, but who cares if it doesn't win games? A guy like Ginobili or Rondo have a competetive fire which is more of a mental toughness. I'll take that over physical toughness any day in basketball.

this team is at such a disadvantage as far as individual defenders. The Curry Ellis D.Lee lineup is the absolute worst defensive trio in the NBA. that right there may be reason enough to break it up. Curry is untradeable unless the return talent is better - having a PG is a must. D Lee with his contract, would be hard to move for equal or better talent and I don't think he's the problem if we have a good C. Ellis is a good scorer but it's like building a team around Jason Terry or a worse Allen Iverson in their prime. the Curry Ellis backcourt will always be undersized and disadvantaged. I'd sell high on Ellis if I were the W's - if they're faced with an opportunity to get a very good player who'd improve team balance, in return.

championship and playoff teams are built more on defense. the W's organziation has always been built more on offense and entertainment, even with the successful We Believe team (that team would at least cause turnovers tho). since their individual defense sucksss, Smart's main focus should be a team defense scheme. their team D needs to overachieve. if you looked at the first few weeks of the beginning of the season before D-Lee's vampire bite injury, that team was 100x better at helping each other out on D and had more intensity. need to try a zone or something geez.

Return to Warriors Basketball