where we stand at the end of the season

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 pm
i know it's still early to say and anything can happen, but where do u think the warriors still stand in the western conference at the end of the season? they're having a pretty rough start to this second half of the season since the all-star break. plus, what's the most significant thing the warriors can do in the offseason to make a difference for next season? new coach, new big man(i prefer chandler), trade w/ curry or monta, upgrade the weak bench we have, hope to get lucky in the draft(lol)?

what do you guys think?
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:37 pm
fuk... we're already talking about the off-season? how depressing....
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:11 pm
Well we've been in what, 12th place pretty much the whole year? I say we finish there, just good enough to get a mediocre draft pick every year
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:57 am
The aim is always to be a championship contender so -

1. Better coach would be better, though not really essential, depending on what roster changes are made.

2. Trade to get a star big, preferrably Center or at least a very good Center. BLopez of the Nets is a great Center, but much has been said about his lack of rebounding. The guy seems a bit soft because of that, however, he is a top 5 Center I think, depending how you look at strengths of Centers. Maybe Monta for Lopez and fillers would work, as maybe the Nets FO would be interested in a Deron/Monta backcourt. I'd try it and see if they bite.

MGasol has been a Center I like very much and he may be had for cheaper now than ever, as the Grizz are still mediocre, even with the talent they've got and added, so trying to trade something like Monta for MGasol and Mayo, add fillers if needed, or Monta/Curry and AB for MGasol, Conley and fillers, would work.

Great Centers are hard to find so that has to be the number one aim.

3. I'd prefer a PF like Aldridge, as an example, to Lee. I'd even try to trade Lee and one other player for Horford of the Hawks or JSmith. The Hawks haven't gotten to the elite of the east and might look for a change. Worth a try but Lee is so bad defensively that he really gives up as much as he gives

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:10 am
migya wrote:2. Trade to get a star big, preferrably Center or at least a very good Center. BLopez of the Nets is a great Center, but much has been said about his lack of rebounding. The guy seems a bit soft because of that, however, he is a top 5 Center I think, depending how you look at strengths of Centers. Maybe Monta for Lopez and fillers would work, as maybe the Nets FO would be interested in a Deron/Monta backcourt. I'd try it and see if they bite.

MGasol has been a Center I like very much and he may be had for cheaper now than ever, as the Grizz are still mediocre, even with the talent they've got and added, so trying to trade something like Monta for MGasol and Mayo, add fillers if needed, or Monta/Curry and AB for MGasol, Conley and fillers, would work.

OK, if not Darko, as you mentioned on the other thread, what about Robin Lopez? I mean, he's getting closer to the games of his brother when given time. I think he could put at least close to Brook's numbers. I mean, here we are talking about Gasol, even though he's been, well, terrible recently. He's not consistent as much as Darko, heck, Darko is playing better so far.
My point is, why would we give so much for an inconsistent, or unproven guy, when we could get the same type (if not better) in Robin Lopez or Milicic, for a lot cheaper.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 am
Guybrush wrote:
migya wrote:2. Trade to get a star big, preferrably Center or at least a very good Center. BLopez of the Nets is a great Center, but much has been said about his lack of rebounding. The guy seems a bit soft because of that, however, he is a top 5 Center I think, depending how you look at strengths of Centers. Maybe Monta for Lopez and fillers would work, as maybe the Nets FO would be interested in a Deron/Monta backcourt. I'd try it and see if they bite.

OK, if not Darko, as you mentioned on the other thread, what about Robin Lopez? I mean, he's getting closer to the games of his brother when given time. I think he could put at least close to Brook's numbers. I mean, here we are talking about Gasol, even though he's been, well, terrible recently. He's not consistent as much as Darko, heck, Darko is playing better so far.
My point is, why would we give so much for an inconsistent, or unproven guy, when we could get the same type (if not better) in Robin Lopez or Milicic, for a lot cheaper.

MGasol looks out of sorts this season, like things aren't happy there in Memphis. MGasol has shown a fair bit and that he is one of the best Centers there is and he now is at his cheapest.

RLopez has been a bit disappointing this season, but he definately is a good Center as well, one that does the dirty work, like rebounding, shotblocking and providing energy when he does play. I'd get him, but not for much, as he is also somewhat inconsistent

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:34 pm
What this team really needs is a center who's top priority is rebounding. That player can get his points from his offensive rebounds and the occasional pick and rolls, but we NEED a player who wants to rebound. We cannot go for a guy like Lopez who is finesse center who looks to score first and rebound second. This team will always have plenty of offense with the guards and three point shooters we have so we do not need to look for a scorer at the center position.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:45 pm
Gasol is a good bench center at best. Nothing to do with him in starting 5. I would prefer a second round pick center. At least i could dream of him becoming a legit player against all ods. What bother's me is whenever i read a rumor about a star player been traded, we are are not even mentioned. It's like we don't exist as a team. In fact i don't believe there is a single good player in the NBA who would like to play for us. So i expect that we will do what we always do. Pray for a good lottery, hoping that we will keep the player we selected more than 5 years.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm
Yeah, with teams above us getting it done and actually winning games, unless we get a good string of wins going I don't see us getting above the top 10. Not a lot of draft talent (that we need) that is currently available but I'm sure we can trade for someone or sign a free agent --- maybe we can shoot for Dwight Howard if he becomes a free agent? :P
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:10 pm
The problem is that Howard don't want to play for us.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 pm
we will be 25% better than we were last year... i promise... keep faith... next year we'll be an 8 seed!!!!

Return to Warriors Basketball