Front Office

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 pm
sorry i haven't kept up with the thread, but i read the first post and if the rest of this thread resembles anything to migya's trade proposals then i think i just did myself a favor... seriously migya... just think about it...

you were gonna somehow transform this:

curry
ellis
dorell
lee
biedrins

into this:

paul
dorell
smith
lee
horford

seriously, mate! i really can't tell if you're serious or not...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:12 am
8th ave wrote:sorry i haven't kept up with the thread, but i read the first post and if the rest of this thread resembles anything to migya's trade proposals then i think i just did myself a favor... seriously migya... just think about it...

you were gonna somehow transform this:

curry
ellis
dorell
lee
biedrins

into this:

paul
dorell
smith
lee
horford

seriously, mate! i really can't tell if you're serious or not...

You have to look at each team's situation. The Hawks are still not in the top 4 in the east and they have been looking to get a little better for a few years now. I've read that they had explored trading JSmith for a Center, as they want Horford to be their PF. Monta's value is so very high right now, higher than either JSmith or Horford and so a trade of Monta and AB for JSmith, Horford and fillers, throw in a player like DWright from our end to get such a deal done, is possible and feasible for both teams. Throw in Lee in the package with Monta and AB and get JSmith, Horford and Hinrich, plus any fillers for salary on either end, but salaries should be close with those six players.

Getting Paul, whose value is lower than ever, could just be offering Curry for him straight up, salaries permitting. Thing is that Paul's contract ends and he'll likely leave, that's the reason why I'd only do it with an already extended contract in place.

It could be done, you just have to work it right and look at what other teams need and want to do

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:54 am
migya wrote:

You have to look at each team's situation. The Hawks are still not in the top 4 in the east and they have been looking to get a little better for a few years now. I've read that they had explored trading JSmith for a Center, as they want Horford to be their PF. Monta's value is so very high right now, higher than either JSmith or Horford and so a trade of Monta and AB for JSmith, Horford and fillers, throw in a player like DWright from our end to get such a deal done, is possible and feasible for both teams. Throw in Lee in the package with Monta and AB and get JSmith, Horford and Hinrich, plus any fillers for salary on either end, but salaries should be close with those six players.

Getting Paul, whose value is lower than ever, could just be offering Curry for him straight up, salaries permitting. Thing is that Paul's contract ends and he'll likely leave, that's the reason why I'd only do it with an already extended contract in place.

It could be done, you just have to work it right and look at what other teams need and want to do

The hawks has been shopping smith for a center so that they can move horford to the 4 spot, ditto.... explain to me how they would move him to the power forward position when you're including him in the trade... that theory doesn't work out too well now, does it?

But fine... whatever... lets just run with what you're saying... the hawks still aren't in the top 4 right? but wait... check this out... this is what there squad would look like if your trade goes down

kirk hinrich ------- > monta "play defense with your hands and not feet" ellis
joe smith --------> joe smith
marvin williams --> marvin williams
josh smith ---------> david "can't guard a big" lee
al horford ---------> andris "mfken" biedrins

now explain to me how this new squad propels them into elite status into the east?? how does losing your best defensive players for virtually no defense whatsoever make you better? HoooOoOoOOoOOow?

and cp3 for steph?? explain to me why new orleans would give up their best player for scurry? their BEST player... arguably the best point guard in the game for stephen curry?! and while you're at it... explain to me why on gods green earth would cp3 sign an extension with a squad that had lost the past 2 decades over the rest of the teams in the league?

seriously tho... all jokes aside, if they're still renting out houses on cloud 9, would you let me know? always wanted to live there...

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:55 am
nah... seriously seriously all jokes aside, i just dont see it migs... sorry

on a lighter note, enjoy my new sig migs... i dunno what happened to my old one, i guess mods decided it was unecessary

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:28 am
8th ave wrote:
migya wrote:

The hawks has been shopping smith for a center so that they can move horford to the 4 spot, ditto.... explain to me how they would move him to the power forward position when you're including him in the trade... that theory doesn't work out too well now, does it?

But fine... whatever... lets just run with what you're saying... the hawks still aren't in the top 4 right? but wait... check this out... this is what there squad would look like if your trade goes down

kirk hinrich ------- > monta "play defense with your hands and not feet" ellis
joe smith --------> joe smith
marvin williams --> marvin williams
josh smith ---------> david "can't guard a big" lee
al horford ---------> andris "mfken" biedrins

now explain to me how this new squad propels them into elite status into the east?? how does losing your best defensive players for virtually no defense whatsoever make you better? HoooOoOoOOoOOow?

and cp3 for steph?? explain to me why new orleans would give up their best player for scurry? their BEST player... arguably the best point guard in the game for stephen curry?! and while you're at it... explain to me why on gods green earth would cp3 sign an extension with a squad that had lost the past 2 decades over the rest of the teams in the league?

seriously tho... all jokes aside, if they're still renting out houses on cloud 9, would you let me know? always wanted to live there...

Well........ just ideas firstly, nothing concrete obviously. The trade with Atlanta would be unlikely, but they could go for three starters, one at superstar form and one at his lowest point, yet a Center that is capable. JSmith is a player I like, but truth is he hasn't gotten any better the last three years at least and won't be an allstar it looks. He does play the defense which is what I really like. Horford is an allstar, but look at it, he plays offense decently, nothing special and likely never will, but he is a very good rebounder and defender. Lee might be a better rebounder than Horford, looks like a better scorer, so the Hawks could see a change to more offense as something that could maybe out gun other teams in the east, though unlikely. Sweeten the deal with future first rounders, why not.

As for Paul, he looks like he is deteriorating and the big thing is, he likely will leave there anyway. The Warriors have been real bad, but if such a trade like the one with Atlanta were be done, he'd seriously consider the team as a place to possibly win a championship. Oakland is a big market as well, so he could get the money also. Curry is very young, don't forget and already has shown in his two seasons that he can be a star. they'd seriously consider him and maybe could see that playing next to Monta diminishes Curry a fair bit, as in games last season that Monta missed, Curry played awesome.

Your new sig is great, as always with you :D

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:57 am
20 bucks says zack randolph is in the list... he seems to move around each year. A 20-10 guy that no one appreciates.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:38 am
Anyone who thinks the Hawks are moving Horford for anything we have besides a combo of Monta and Curry is crazy. But Josh Smith will be shopped around this summer. Smith is a very capable player who is more held back by the system than anything from putting up allstar numbers. They are a team with a lot of talent but they still believe Joe Johnson is a superstar so Smith is relegated to a jumpshooting 3rd option. He contributes in all facets of the game (although his defense is overrated it is way better than Lee's) and like I have previously stated is friends with Monta and respects him (J Smoov played him in high school and Monta scored 42 points in a loss so when Smith got MVP of the game, he gave it to Ellis).

IF and this is a big IF, the Hawks wanted a trade enough, I would do something like Biedrins and Curry for Smith and Teague in a second. The Hawks need a PG and want to move Horford to PF and we could draft a better complimentary PG for Monta. I honestly think our best way of turning Biedrins into something useful is to include Curry instead of Monta since he is cheaper and has such a promising aura about him. But the truth is if we want a team that plays on both sides of the ball, Curry is probably never going to even be an average defender and it's been a long time since a team won a championship where their PG was their best player.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:42 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:20 bucks says zack randolph is in the list... he seems to move around each year. A 20-10 guy that no one appreciates.

Reason why ZRand isn't liked still is because of the headcase attitude he showed years ago when he was the Blazers and Knicks. That's reason to stay away from him to me

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:54 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Anyone who thinks the Hawks are moving Horford for anything we have besides a combo of Monta and Curry is crazy. But Josh Smith will be shopped around this summer. Smith is a very capable player who is more held back by the system than anything from putting up allstar numbers. They are a team with a lot of talent but they still believe Joe Johnson is a superstar so Smith is relegated to a jumpshooting 3rd option. He contributes in all facets of the game (although his defense is overrated it is way better than Lee's) and like I have previously stated is friends with Monta and respects him (J Smoov played him in high school and Monta scored 42 points in a loss so when Smith got MVP of the game, he gave it to Ellis).

That's a real class act by JSmith and at such a young age.

Horford likely is very high to the Hawks FO, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't trade him if they thought they needed a change and the players offered to them could make them better, in their opinion at least. You are right that JJ is not a superstar, but he has been better and seems to be getting the money and happy with that. I do think that they could see Monta as a PG and a good fit next to JJ, as Monta has been getting alot of assists this season and especially lately. Worth a try at least, but I see JSmith as valuable as Horford, Horford is just the newer flavour, but JSmith has been so allround and such a good defender for years and I think he is a better scorer than what he has been able to be in Atlanta. He'd be great here I think.

Dr. Spaceman wrote:IF and this is a big IF, the Hawks wanted a trade enough, I would do something like Biedrins and Curry for Smith and Teague in a second. The Hawks need a PG and want to move Horford to PF and we could draft a better complimentary PG for Monta. I honestly think our best way of turning Biedrins into something useful is to include Curry instead of Monta since he is cheaper and has such a promising aura about him. But the truth is if we want a team that plays on both sides of the ball, Curry is probably never going to even be an average defender and it's been a long time since a team won a championship where their PG was their best player.

If the team trades Curry, they have to get a replacement PG for sure and more than just an average one. Maybe Monta for Paul of the Hornets could be done, if so, this trade you've said makes sense and would work. I'd get Hinrich and JSmith, if just for Monta and AB, salaries permitting, add fillers as necessary. Hinrich doesn't look like the same player he was a few years ago, but he is still decent.

Looking at it, trading Curry and AB for Teague and JSmith and then Monta for a resigned Paul would give us a lineup like:

PG - Pau
SG - DWright
SF - JSmith
PF - Ekpe Udoh
C - Lee

or

PG - Paul
SG - DWright
SF - RWilliams
PF - JSmith
C - Lee

Lee is the weak link to me, but he rebounds and scores a bit so not awful. Better lineyps than right now

Rookie
Poster Credit: -2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm
uptempo wrote:Isn't about time that Lacob and Gruber bring in a real front office executive who has experience as well as some strategic vision?

The Warriors helped the Knicks (after the Knicks could not sign Lebron) by taking Lee's contract and by giving the Knicks a player (Randolph) who was part of the Carmelo trade. This is unacceptable. Lacob and Guber should expect more of our front office. We Warrior fans deserve better!

Where have you been? The new ownership has already brought in the best front office executive NBA has to offer, and his name is JOE LACOB, aka the savior of the Celtics and smartest man in NBA.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:46 pm
I thought this was the best thread to post this article:
Warriors extend Riely's contract and hire new assistant GM Myers.

This is a awesome decision buy Lacob.
He impressed me with this one, because he keeps Riely around, who in my opinion has done good work lately, and but he also keeps anyone at bay who are complaining that he needed to bring in a new GM. In my opinion 2 is better then one, and Riely has great contacts with other team, and from what I am reading Myer has great contacts with agents! Double headed sword.

This shows that Lacob is willing to spend (paying for 2 execs instead of one), that he is loyal (not firing Riely when he has done good work recently) which in turn would help others want to work for him, and that he is going to push to get the team better without making brash decisions. If things don't work out with Riely, he now has a GM in training. Or if things don't work out with Myers, he doesn't have to look like he is getting a new GM every year.

I think this bodes well for our future, seeing growth in the front office, will hopefully start to show up in roster decisions. And the fact that he did this now gives Myers time to settle in and prepare for the FA and draft. I'm excited for the off season to begin lol

Warriors hire agent Myers as assistant GM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_warriors_hire_agent_bob_myers_041311
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 pm
Personally i didn't like this a bit. Riley will try to get the new guy fired on the first given opportunity. He did it to Mullin he will do that again. You can't have a man with two heads. It's a petty, it was an opportunity for a new start.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:15 pm
TRON wrote:Personally i didn't like this a bit. Riley will try to get the new guy fired on the first given opportunity. He did it to Mullin he will do that again. You can't have a man with two heads. It's a petty, it was an opportunity for a new start.

As much as I like Mullin, it is hard not to notice that he didn't help his case with the trade of Jason Richardson, and then the Baron Davis decision (still unclear if it was his choice not to sign him), and then Ellis incident (the handling or the Moped incident), then Steven Jackson Extension fiasco (not sure who's decision that was)... plus he seemed to clash with the owner... but then again who wouldn't. But that doesn't bode well when the owner signs your checks.

I doubt there was a lot less work by Riely to get Mullin out as you are indicating, if any. I am more the believer that Riely's good work as a scout/assistant got him the opportunity when the opportunity was there. Mullin was on his way out regardless.

Also, I am inclined to think that Lacob has already talked to Riely about hiring Myers, and what the expectations were as far as if Myers is to be GM in training.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:18 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
TRON wrote:Personally i didn't like this a bit. Riley will try to get the new guy fired on the first given opportunity. He did it to Mullin he will do that again. You can't have a man with two heads. It's a petty, it was an opportunity for a new start.

As much as I like Mullin, it is hard not to notice that he didn't help his case with the trade of Jason Richardson, and then the Baron Davis decision (still unclear if it was his choice not to sign him), and then Ellis incident (the handling or the Moped incident), then Steven Jackson Extension fiasco (not sure who's decision that was)... plus he seemed to clash with the owner... but then again who wouldn't. But that doesn't bode well when the owner signs your checks.

I doubt there was a lot less work by Riely to get Mullin out as you are indicating, if any. I am more the believer that Riely's good work as a scout/assistant got him the opportunity when the opportunity was there. Mullin was on his way out regardless.

Also, I am inclined to think that Lacob has already talked to Riely about hiring Myers, and what the expectations were as far as if Myers is to be GM in training.

The Stephen Jackson signing was Rowell when Stephen bypass Mullin and went to negotiate his contract with Rowell and got his money. Mullin wasn't in on contract. "Let hope this work out for next season" have been used a lot for awhile now for GSW season and most of the time it doesn't. It will be interesting to see how new ownership add pieces with the New CBA, and how they can attract a good center via FA. I don't think they will draft a center, because they take patience to develop and most of the time good centers enter the NBA fail to live up to the hype. I think Riley capable of adding another guard or two, a SF, but getting a good center will be challenging, because good Centers are very few and very expensive. They got to replace AB, because he is a non factor and this team defensive capabilities are very limited throughout the 82 game season in the West. I don't think Lacob has the patience to wait and develop a young promising Center, unless he willing to take the risk and pray that Center put his basketball game together quickly.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 am
fullmetalx wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:

The Stephen Jackson signing was Rowell when Stephen bypass Mullin and went to negotiate his contract with Rowell and got his money. Mullin wasn't in on contract. "Let hope this work out for next season" have been used a lot for awhile now for GSW season and most of the time it doesn't. It will be interesting to see how new ownership add pieces with the New CBA, and how they can attract a good center via FA. I don't think they will draft a center, because they take patience to develop and most of the time good centers enter the NBA fail to live up to the hype. I think Riley capable of adding another guard or two, a SF, but getting a good center will be challenging, because good Centers are very few and very expensive. They got to replace AB, because he is a non factor and this team defensive capabilities are very limited throughout the 82 game season in the West. I don't think Lacob has the patience to wait and develop a young promising Center, unless he willing to take the risk and pray that Center put his basketball game together quickly.

All this is good but you are missing the point. Read this

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba-341094

That means that new owners acknowledge there was a foul play involved in Mullin's case.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... ers_041311

That means that you can't mess around with somebody's ego.

Who will get credit for a good move?
Who will get the fall for a bad one?
Will Myers accept to work hard behind the scenes and let Riley get all the credit?
Will they find a way to work together for the Warriors, or they will fight to the death?
What happens if they don't agree, for a draft pick for example?
I want this team to have a vision for the first time in 30 years. And a vision can be had by one man. There has to be one man with the plan. Two man means two plan's.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball