Time to START UDOH!!!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:26 am
From Si-

Golden State Warriors (22-28)
At the risk of repeating myself, when is coach Keith Smart going to start giving more than cursory minutes to rookie Ekpe Udoh? On Monday, phoenix blitzed Golden State 20-6 in the first six minutes and never looked back, in large part because neither David Lee nor Andris Biedrins could guard Channing Frye -- who had a trio of three-pointers in the span -- on the perimeter. Udoh's quickness and defensive savvy were a perfect match for Frye and Phoenix -- he finished plus-13 in 15 minutes, with the next most effective Warrior at plus-1. Yes, it is a tiny sample of one game, and the 317 minutes Udoh has logged this season isn't much bigger. But according to Basketball Value, nobody improves the Warriors' defense (or overall game) more than Udoh when he's on the court.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1Dff5Gg3l
Aiming for a Warriors team as good as their fans.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 pm
Definitely needs to start over Biedrins. AB is who he is and won't improve - I've accepted that. Udoh could be that defensive stopper in the post we've needed for so long so he deserves his opportunity. He's played amazingly well for pretty much having 0 action during the summer/training camp and all.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 pm
Dude does work forsure. If he messes up at one end, he always seems to redeem himself shortly after.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:48 am
Man, they need to show some more dubs games here in sacramento. I've only seen a couple games of Udoh, but he wasn't really getting much playing time.

though, the game that he got 16 points, 7 boards was already a blowout. I would hold your horses guys on saying he should start. Maybe one day, but not now.
Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:00 pm
Maybe a bump in minutes. Get him at least 15 a game and see what else he can do. I can see him becoming a pretty good player in this league.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:35 pm
I agree... He has been getting about 15-20 minutes on average as of late. Maybe having him get 20 minutes on a more consistent basis would be good.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:34 pm
He is no center and he is not better than Lee so he can't start, but i do agree he needs more minutes as a sub.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:47 pm
Reggie needs more looks, Udoh more minutes

da truth
~LilBallerx~

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:32 pm
Udoh needs to get in the game more. Have Lee guard centers since most in the league have limited offensive game and his footspeed is more adept for guarding Centers. Any time we are facing a solid PF or C, Udoh needs significant minutes.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 pm
also agree. he and Biedrins should split minutes. when you have bad defenders like Curry Monta D.Lee, you gotta have a guy in there that lifts the play of everyone else on the defensive side. gotta have Udoh in there cuz from what I've seen he increases the intensity of the team on D.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm
+18 so far tonight.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:06 am
Keith Smart has nothing to gain by giving Udoh more minutes. This guy is auditioning for a permanent head coaching gig whether its here or elsewhere. Don't forget that this guy is officially the interim coach since Nellie stepped down weeks before training camp started. He's going to try and win as many games as he can which is why guys like Monta Ellis, Curry and Lee are playing 40+ minutes. In some cases...48 minutes.

They did the same thing with Mike Montgomery and Eric Musselman. Either win or get fired. Thats not how it should work and hopefully, the first coach that Lacob and Gruber hires, will be given time to build a team and develop young players like Udoh.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 am
if he's trying to win games then he has everything to gain by playing Udoh. this 2 center combo of Beans & Udoh can be effective imo. gives the Warriors flexibility based on need at the time. put in Beans if we're getting outrebounded, put in Udoh if the defense needs to pick up.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm
i dunno if anyone noticed this, but in the 4th, udoh had a huge problem boxing out jefferson... andris had to check in for him... dont get me wrong tho, i'd still rather have him in instead of biedrins...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:17 am
Al Jefferson is a wily vet, and a huge 280 lb. body. Udoh having trouble boxing him out may be nothing more than him being a rookie.

It is so hard to develop a competent, legit big in the NBA. Since we have the foundation of one who is as good (or at least close) to our current under-performing center, why not give him some run and see where it goes? He may get beaten by some good players, but we're building towards something.

At the very least, Udoh is a shot blocking threat and energy guy. We could definitely use that...
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball