Monta snubbed from All Star reserves

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:00 pm
Kevin Love named to the all-star team... really? Because he is on a winning team? What about Lamarcus Aldridge if you must choose a big? Zbo?

Their whole we choose guys from winning teams is bull crap. I'm boycotting the all start game. Not gonna watch it... [-(
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 pm
bigdaddyfunk wrote:You can't pull that points per minute crap, thats all hypothetical. If a player plays 2 minutes but scores 10 points, does that make him better than Monta too? His numbers aren't exaggerated, because playing the most minutes night in and night out should be slowing a player down. Monta is not phased by this at all and continues to dominate. He's an all star.

Also, Kobe would be scoring more than Monta but also taking more shots (had to be said). Player efficiency is bullshit.

If a guy plays a consistent 2 minutes per game and averages 10 points per game, then thats pretty darn good. Does that make him better than Monta? Probably not, but there are a handful of guys that would average 25 points if they played the minutes Ellis did and were allowed to shoot the ball 20 a game. Yes, thats hypothetical, but stats do play a big part in determining a players worth and at times, can help a team win. If Lebron James was a 15 point guy, would he still be the superstar player he is today?
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:36 pm
Guybrush wrote:It's a bullshit. Monta is an all-star, he's not just a scorer and there were quite a lot of games where he was the playmaker, making the passes to his teammates.

@Beli: And when you said some players would get us more wins if they played in place of Monta, take Crawford for instance, that's a one dimensional player, and I could bet that we would have even close to 10 wins less with him instead of Monta. Maggette as well, Terry, Martin, Jackson...the same. Monta is a key part of this team, and he does carry this team. He's not just a scorer, he can pick the ball, pass, score...etc. You can't expect from Monta to be our best rebounder and blocker as well. Just be reasonable and take into notice that we are losing because of our bigs play, and lack of rebounds alltogether, and Smart's bad rotations. There's so much one player can do on his own.

lol no I'm not saying Crawford or MEgette in Monta's place makes the team better, they made it worse. I 'm saying that if you subbed in true stars or true all stars like Ginobili or B. Roy (guys who've beat Monta out), in place of Monta, they would propel this same lineup to the playoffs. that's what separates the "scorers" from the "stars" not all scorers are stars. stars are able to impact the game more to help their team play winning basketball. if Monta is able to do that, which hopefully he can, then he deserves all the accolades.

I'm not too sure that trading Monta for Iggy would make the team worse? but #1 I think we can get more than Iggy for Monta and #2 I think we can get Iggy much cheaper than trading Monta. but the thinking behind it is, if we aren't going to have a TRUE star, then at least try to create some team balance and complimentary pieces. Monta is neither a true star nor a decent defender. he has that Allen Iverson-liablity where the team is forced to become unorthodox to fit around his height and defense deficiencies. Iggy is no Monta in the scoring dept. but he can get his and he might make the team better simply because it improves on the atrocious defensive trio of Steph Monta & Lee.

you could argue Love and Blake play on losing teams as well, but they also have been more individually dominant than Monta, especially in light of Monta's per minute stats.

Dr. Spaceman wrote:Yes,I believe Ersan Ilyasova, a 6'9 small forward with limited athletic ability, playing C for the Bucks just recorded 23 points and 13 rebounds against our frontcourt who got 10 and 7 rebounds(Beans and Lee).
Really sounds like it's Monta's fault. Even Lamar Odom from last night thinks that's terrible boxing out and owning the paint.

attribute that more to Smart playing Vlad for 25min instead of Biedrins vs that small Bucks lineup. Idk man I'm just saying Monta's been playing for the W's for what, 6 yrs? he's had his chance to make it his team and be the man and all that. this was the year that they were supposed to make some noise, having a legitmate PF and a decent lineup...at least I thought so. ya know sometimes, you gotta overachieve to hit the playoffs.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:09 am
I don't know, but I don't think anyone realistically thought this team would make the playoffs. I mean, adding one or two pieces doesn't improve the team that much.
It would be nice, and we are rooting for them to make it, but if they don't make it, then I think it is not fair to say it was not a successful season.

By most teams standards improving from one season to another by 10+ is a good turn around.
For this team they could get 20 more wins then last year (26 to 46) and still not make the playoffs in the west.
I would say a successful season is ending about at the 500 mark (41 and 41). Thats 15 more wins then last season and that would mark a successful season.

Then you add depth in the Free Agency by draft, trading, or picking up a contract... or a little bit of all, and then you can say to imporve 5-10 games, that would be a successful season and that would be enough to get a playoff birth. So think about it, if we won 41 games this season and added some depth to the team we would be a playoff team. There is no reason why Monta and Curry cannot play together and be successful, they just need more help from the rest of the team in the scorring department, defense and rebounding. A lot of these games we would have won if we rebounded better, and it is not Curry or Monta's fault the bigs aren't rebounding well. Curry's and Ellis' may be lacking in the defense department a little, but it is not beacuase of hieght or strength.
They are mainly getting killed off the dribble and in the pick and roll... and that is a lack of focus to stay in front of you man. They are rarely getting posted anymore. For most teams that hasn't worked to post them up this season.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 am
I am not the only one who thinks the coaches made a dumb decision:

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/skolni ... nsistency/

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:06 pm
The all-star game is a joke, everyone knows it, it's a complete popularity contest. That's why the same players make it every year, not because they are always the best players. I mean honestly, Yao Ming made the team, I don't even understand why he was on the ballot, he isn't going to play again in his life. Dumb Chinese people.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:50 pm
rockyBeli wrote:lol no I'm not saying Crawford or MEgette in Monta's place makes the team better, they made it worse. I 'm saying that if you subbed in true stars or true all stars like Ginobili or B. Roy (guys who've beat Monta out), in place of Monta, they would propel this same lineup to the playoffs. that's what separates the "scorers" from the "stars" not all scorers are stars. stars are able to impact the game more to help their team play winning basketball. if Monta is able to do that, which hopefully he can, then he deserves all the accolades.

I know what your trying to say, but those aren't the best examples. Without B. Roy Portland is still in the playoff, and so would San Antonio with Manu. Both of those teams are that good. I don't think Monta was snubbed, there's a lot more good guards that have been playing well, than bigs. If we were in the East Monta would definitely be an All-Star.

Also, I would be one of those people that voted for Yao everytime, just because I knew he wouldn't play. I'd rather vote for someone that isn't going to play and give the coaches a chance to pick someone more deserving than pick someone like Andrew Bynum who might actually decide to play.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:59 pm
Monta is an all-star, plain and simple. He is a much better player than Russell Westbrook. They snubbed him in the past with Berandon Roy. I don't know hwat some of you guys want out of Monta. His job on the Warriors is toscore much as possible. He not there to set-up Ramonvich jump shot. If Monta is not scoring he would be hurting the team.. I don't see nybody complaining about Kevin Durrant scoring. Monta is more devastating than Deron Williams (over-rated). People talk about Monta TAKING A LOT OF SHOTS! You know how hard it is to play 45 minutes a night a guard position? It's incredible he has the stamina to do it night after night at such a high level. Anyone else could not keep up the pace. So please get off Monta's case.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 pm
Durant really didn't impress me tonight. He made some nice shots but it's apparent that he relies on getting to the line a lot to boost his point total.

He also does not seem to be overly concerned about playing good D either. He still has a lot of improving to do in my opinion. He is not in the same league as LeBron yet.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:33 pm
I'm not totally familar with advanced bball stats and I know stats don't tell the whole story. but I checked the stats to find that Monta, although 6th in scoring points, doesn't even crack the top 40 in PER stats. it's not fool-proof, but you gotta notice most of the superstars of the league are up in the top 10 or 20 in PER. so maybe his scoring has overshadowed his overall true contributions to the game, which = overrated?

http://www.hoopdata.com/advancedstats.a ... p=0&mins=0
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:37 pm
rockyBeli wrote:I'm not totally familar with advanced bball stats and I know stats don't tell the whole story. but I checked the stats to find that Monta, although 6th in scoring points, doesn't even crack the top 40 in PER stats. it's not fool-proof, but you gotta notice most of the superstars of the league are up in the top 10 or 20 in PER. so maybe his scoring has overshadowed his overall true contributions to the game, which = overrated?

http://www.hoopdata.com/advancedstats.a ... p=0&mins=0

I've said that Monta is not as good as he looks and isn't making the team much better. I really do think he has such high value and should be traded as soon as possible. He'll never be as high valued again I think

migya make the ring fall on ya
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball