Curry and Ellis Warriors for years to come

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:51 pm
I know this is being much debated, didn't know what thread to put this is so started new one.
Recent news on Lacob and Ellis/Curry back court:

Lacob said both Curry and Ellis would be Warriors “for a very long time.”

Curry seeks security

Stephen Curry

(NBAE/Getty Images)
Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry(notes) was surprised after the franchise’s new owner, Joe Lacob, told the San Jose Mercury News he would be willing to break up the team’s small backcourt of Curry and Monta Ellis(notes) if the right offer came along. Lacob also called Ellis “our core, franchise player” in the interview and didn’t give Curry similar praise. As recently as the summer, Curry had been viewed by franchise officials as the player they’d least likely trade.

“It was the first time that I had my name associated with the word ‘trade’ in the same sentence,” Curry told Yahoo! Sports. “It’s a little bit of a shock; I can’t lie about that. I feel like I’m working hard to get better every day and doing what they ask me to do.”

Curry said he received an apologetic text message from Lacob the morning after the Mercury News interview. Warriors general manager Larry Riley also called Curry, his father and his agent to calm the situation. In an interview with Bay Area radio station KNBR this week, Lacob said both Curry and Ellis would be Warriors “for a very long time.”

“He was making sure I was certain that he liked my game, liked me here, liked how I fit with the system,” Curry said of Lacob. “He could have easily let me read and interpret it for myself.”

Curry doesn’t think he’s going anywhere anytime soon.

“I think optimistically about everything,” he said. “I like it here. I like my teammates and everything about the Warriors organization. I can’t picture being anywhere else, especially this early in my career.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer012811
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:18 pm
Teams make changes to get better and become championship caliber. I do think either or both Curry and Monta would get traded to do so and if the right deals were out there. Most likely, it will be the other players that will be looked to be moved in order to improve the team, but there just isn't much talent, more productivity from the players actually, to trade for better players. It can be done though.

I've already showed my view point on this. I would trade Monta, I think Curry is doing far less this season than last because Monta has the ball alot and last season Curry played his best when Monta was out and the team actually won quite a bit. I see that as the major fact.

Any trading of Monta would have to be a real good one, because you never trade a player that young, playing that well and whose value is at it's highest and it is very high, unless you are sure you're improving the team

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm
While I agree to some point with you on this Migya, I think you are just being premature. Right now every position we have besides C and arguably PF is on a good to great deal, and we should be freeing up a decent amount of cap space soon. With cap space and possibly a new coach coming, we should try to trade Beans to a playoff contender in need of a C, for anything expiring, and beef up our bench in the offseason (hopefully with a defensive minded coach calling some of these shots). We can even afford to overpay a bit for some quality bench players with Dorrell on such a cheap contract and us having the bird rights to Curry and Monta with new owners that will go into the luxury tax.

If this doesn't work and our defense is still in the bottom 10 in the league, I would blow up our back court and trade one of Monta or Curry. But until we see what this roster can do with a coach that really emphasizes defense, we are putting too much of that blame on Monta and Curry.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:01 pm
on the offensive side, these two are great... both players can attack the basket, drive and dish, and knock down shots... it's a different story on the defensive side tho... if this were to work long term, these two needs to stop playing defense with their hands and play defense with their feet... i always see monta playing the passing lanes and everytime he gets posted up, he reaches... this is probably a good example of cheating and not playing defense... the same might not bode well for curry, but i've seen plenty of times this year (particularly belinelli) that curry wasn't able to stay in front of his man...

the same can be said about our interior defense... biedrins always tries to deny the entry pass... sometimes it works and he ends up with a steal, but other times the post up player gets the ball and an easy bucket... those types of plays are 50-50 and that's not the percentages you wanna bank on... biedrins as well as david lee needs to improve their individual defense....

i understand that we all have a special relationship with these players, and we don't wanna see them go... that goes especially for me... i love curry, monta, lee, wright, etc. etc., but if we don't turn this defense around and start winning, i'd say that everyone would be on the chopping block
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:31 pm
ya fact remains that the Warriors just don't have good individual defenders. actually Curry Ellis and Lee are probably some of the worst defenders at their respective positions in the entire nba. this team needs to overachieve on help / team D to compensate and to win. a coach can only do so much, you can't really get around the fact that they just have sucky defenders. that's why I think the Curry Ellis (and add Lee to that) trio can't work unless you get a beast defensive C or overachieve or trade Curry or Ellis. preferably Ellis becuz he'd get the most back and Curry would not be easily replaced.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:18 am
Curry was playing pretty solid D vs the Cats...he just needs to stop the softass fouls of his
~LilBallerx~

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:23 pm
Well then, we are fucked. Lol. Ellis pisses me off when he goes 5-22 and keeps shooting and Currys dumb TO's and fouls are just annoying.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:58 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:While I agree to some point with you on this Migya, I think you are just being premature. Right now every position we have besides C and arguably PF is on a good to great deal, and we should be freeing up a decent amount of cap space soon. With cap space and possibly a new coach coming, we should try to trade Beans to a playoff contender in need of a C, for anything expiring, and beef up our bench in the offseason (hopefully with a defensive minded coach calling some of these shots). We can even afford to overpay a bit for some quality bench players with Dorrell on such a cheap contract and us having the bird rights to Curry and Monta with new owners that will go into the luxury tax.

If this doesn't work and our defense is still in the bottom 10 in the league, I would blow up our back court and trade one of Monta or Curry. But until we see what this roster can do with a coach that really emphasizes defense, we are putting too much of that blame on Monta and Curry.

I fully agree and well said.

Thing to me is that AB, if he continues with the type of season he's having, will be almost impossible to trade with the upcoming player lockout and reduced salarycap as has been projected. If AB has two or three really good games before the trade deadline, his value rises from what it is right now obviously and it should be much easier to trade him.

I do think things will get harder after this season financially and so forth for teams

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:48 pm
migya wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:While I agree to some point with you on this Migya, I think you are just being premature. Right now every position we have besides C and arguably PF is on a good to great deal, and we should be freeing up a decent amount of cap space soon. With cap space and possibly a new coach coming, we should try to trade Beans to a playoff contender in need of a C, for anything expiring, and beef up our bench in the offseason (hopefully with a defensive minded coach calling some of these shots). We can even afford to overpay a bit for some quality bench players with Dorrell on such a cheap contract and us having the bird rights to Curry and Monta with new owners that will go into the luxury tax.

Thing to me is that AB, if he continues with the type of season he's having, will be almost impossible to trade with the upcoming player lockout and reduced salarycap as has been projected. If AB has two or three really good games before the trade deadline, his value rises from what it is right now obviously and it should be much easier to trade him.

I do think things will get harder after this season financially and so forth for teams

beans was desirable a few seasons ago. now? umm.. not at 9 mill a year.. i mean look at igoudala, this guy can d-up when he wants to, and score but nobody wants to trade value for him, or his large contract.. why would someone want a C who rebounds averagely these days, limited defensively, and is scared to make a move offensively because he might go to the charity stripe? oh and he makes big money.. the warriors are going to have no choice but to take on a different bad contract and trade ellis along with beans, or trade curry with beans just to make a deal even approachable....warriors are in a bad spot with beans contract either way..
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:48 pm
How bout Jared Jeffries and Ishmal Smith for AB? You guys dont really get anything in return but at least you got Jeffries expiring contract and Ishmal's low cost contract. Btw Jeffries is a pretty good defender
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:05 pm
warchief wrote:
migya wrote:

beans was desirable a few seasons ago. now? umm.. not at 9 mill a year.. i mean look at igoudala, this guy can d-up when he wants to, and score but nobody wants to trade value for him, or his large contract.. why would someone want a C who rebounds averagely these days, limited defensively, and is scared to make a move offensively because he might go to the charity stripe? oh and he makes big money.. the warriors are going to have no choice but to take on a different bad contract and trade ellis along with beans, or trade curry with beans just to make a deal even approachable....warriors are in a bad spot with beans contract either way..

I think AB still has some value, especially if he has a couple of big games before the trade deadline, as I said, he'd then be higher valued and ripe to try and trade. Other than that, you're right, very hard to get any sort of value for him, let alone trade him at all.

Thing that makes AB have value more than anything else is that he is a Center and those are harder to find than anything else. Men that tall that are coordinated are rare in the world. l think the fact that he has performed well in the past gives him value and other GMs could see him fit in their team, some of them at least.

I said in the thread about Murphy heading out of New Jersey that trading AB for him could work and that looks like the best bet to get rid of AB

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:41 pm
warchief wrote:
migya wrote:

A team that knows how to coach a Center might take the risk. He has the skills, as witnessed before. He plays decent D, rebounds well, but is not consistent. A contender that needs a big might trade for him, but can't think of who right now.

"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Return to Warriors Basketball