Keith Smart, more like Keith Dumb.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:13 am
I am fed up with this guys coaching, its not just the fact that we are losing or on a losing streak, its how he subs, who he plays or over plays, his ability to coach on the NBA level is lacking.

This is the same guy that preaches defense right ? Ok lets start with that, the warriors are allowing 106.7 pts per game, 3rd most points allowed in the league.

Not only that we have 2 warriors in top 5 in minutes played, Monta of course #1 and Dorrel Wright #5, its excessive, simple use the bench, and use the bench properly.

As far as his subbing pattern goes, he does not know what he is doing, he plays Rad at the 4 too much, he needs to play him at the 3 spot, against the Clippers there were stretches he was up against Blake Griffin are you serious. He needs to give Beans minutes to Gadz, yes Gadz, am totally fed up with Beans, he is inconsistent like no other, at least Gadz is active on the defensive side of the ball and rebounds better.

Smart needs to play more of Reggie Williams regardless if he is slumping, some games he does not even bring RWilliams until the 2nd half.

Smart needs to change things or should be fired soon, bring a real NBA coach, Smart is not capable.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:18 am
strangely, i agree with the sentiment (he is bad), but not with the content (vlad at four is good for this team, because of spreading the floor, it's another thing if udoh plays for WITH lee, who both can spread it, any combination of biedrins, gadz and amudson (i so don't like this untalented baskeball body) is deadly bad ) + (there's almost no bench behind warriors sidelines - bell, lin totally useless, wright only at bu center, which creates a overcrowded queue at this position - wright, biedrins, gadz, even lee and udoh, all can play center, - our bench is worst in the league, i don't think even jackson could win with it). that must only mean that smart is bad for too many reasons.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:40 pm
I think we would of been better just running Don Nelson this year!!!

Keith maybe able to get the team to around the .500 mark.. But if your going to invest 450 million dollars into buying a franchise, then you'll spend the extra couple of coin to get a legitmate HC
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:54 pm
Well, if the second half of the season is as bad as the first half, then he will probably be a goner.

There may be some experienced but still young coaches out there during the FA period. This is the last year of Nate Mcmillian's contract at Portland, and there has bee some speculation that he might not resign.

He is a great coach, look what he has done with that busted up Portland squad.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 pm
Yea I dont understand why Ellis is playing 41 minutes a game and Steph is playing less then 35. Can someone tell me is Ellis a ballhog? Dont watch to much GS basketball, but he seems like he could be a great passer

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 am
PAWNO wrote:I think we would of been better just running Don Nelson this year!!!

Keith maybe able to get the team to around the .500 mark.. But if your going to invest 450 million dollars into buying a franchise, then you'll spend the extra couple of coin to get a legitmate HC

Did you just mention the Don ? he would probably drive Beans to an insane asylum or make him run back to the beautiful Latvia.

But in all seriousness Lacob should have hired a more competent coach than Smart who was an assistant coach to warriors squad that displayed the same symptoms as previous years. Moving forward he needs to make this a focal point in order to remove this team from its dismal display of such a beautiful game.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 am
martin wrote:strangely, i agree with the sentiment (he is bad), but not with the content (vlad at four is good for this team, because of spreading the floor, it's another thing if udoh plays for WITH lee, who both can spread it, any combination of biedrins, gadz and amudson (i so don't like this untalented baskeball body) is deadly bad ) + (there's almost no bench behind warriors sidelines - bell, lin totally useless, wright only at bu center, which creates a overcrowded queue at this position - wright, biedrins, gadz, even lee and udoh, all can play center, - our bench is worst in the league, i don't think even jackson could win with it). that must only mean that smart is bad for too many reasons.

Vlad overall has been playing well lately, yes he can spread the floor well with his ability to score from the distance, but it all revloves around match-ups, put Rad on Blake Griffin for example is a plain stupid idea, now I know Udoh is young but he clearly would have been a better option.

As far as the bench goes, with the proper rotations its really not that bad, Smart just refuses to use them correctly.

I don't know how many games I have seen where the warriors are up but as soon as Smart starts his sub rotation we lose leads, and waits too long to bring the proper players back in.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:14 am
MiamiFanSince03 wrote:Yea I dont understand why Ellis is playing 41 minutes a game and Steph is playing less then 35. Can someone tell me is Ellis a ballhog? Dont watch to much GS basketball, but he seems like he could be a great passer

Steph injuring his ankle probably has more to his lack of minutes, as far as Monta he is being over-played and fatigue is catching up with him.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm
Keith Smart is trying to win games, because Lacob did his research and thinks this is a playoff team in the West this season. I don't know what Keith Smart was thinking when he look at the Warriors roster this season playoffs in the West really? Smart has to listen to Lacob and believe this is a playoff roster, but here the truth it is not a playoff team and Smart should be developing Udoh give him playing time to learn from experience. You invest a high pick for Udoh, but you traded for David Lee who has a big contract who plays the same position. I don't get that logic is Udoh going to be a bench player? Don't know what is up with AB he disappear most of the time in the game, but teases you with average production I thought we are pass that point already. This team can't get stops on defense and they turn the ball over to much in critical situations in the Bobcat game.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:43 pm
I beleive they drafted udoh thinking he would be a bench player, at
least for a couple years
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 pm
the thing that bothers me about his coaching is he seems to wait too long to sub back in the starters when teams go on runs against our bench. sometimes you gotta play the starters longer to not let the other team gain momentum. I don't think any1 thought he's the long term solution for coach, they should go after Van Gundy at the end of the year if the W's continue to lose.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:54 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
martin wrote:strangely, i agree with the sentiment (he is bad), but not with the content (vlad at four is good for this team, because of spreading the floor, it's another thing if udoh plays for WITH lee, who both can spread it, any combination of biedrins, gadz and amudson (i so don't like this untalented baskeball body) is deadly bad ) + (there's almost no bench behind warriors sidelines - bell, lin totally useless, wright only at bu center, which creates a overcrowded queue at this position - wright, biedrins, gadz, even lee and udoh, all can play center, - our bench is worst in the league, i don't think even jackson could win with it). that must only mean that smart is bad for too many reasons.

Vlad overall has been playing well lately, yes he can spread the floor well with his ability to score from the distance, but it all revloves around match-ups, put Rad on Blake Griffin for example is a plain stupid idea, now I know Udoh is young but he clearly would have been a better option.

As far as the bench goes, with the proper rotations its really not that bad, Smart just refuses to use them correctly.

I don't know how many games I have seen where the warriors are up but as soon as Smart starts his sub rotation we lose leads, and waits too long to bring the proper players back in.

i don't think anyone on warriors or, for that matter ,in whole league, can stop blake griffin one on one. you can try udoh on griffin but if it changes little, you turn defensive match-up through offense - getting blake griffin out of the paint on defense, for example, which vlad can do. here is the point of forcing more talented team or player lose it's effectiveness. you can't beat more tallented team straight up. but you can beat them by outsmarting and taking risks.

i think amudson, bell, wright are very weak bench, reggie is in and out of the funk as he wishes, udoh is not yet there, vlad seems to be good and bad for long stretches. acie law can ball, but can't shoot to save his and humanity's life. this bench is super bad when it comes to offensive talent. it is not good enough to justify - and here is smart's mistake in subs patterns - smart's subbing four of the starters - it's 90 percent a guaranteed loss, especially with curry on the bench and ellis running the point. defense and grittiness alone brings you just that far. plus you can't sub gadz and amudson in at one time, it's just spells disaster - opposing team simple packs the paint and our guards become innefective, especially with law and ellis on the floor, for they have no chance at driving through all the meat. the only way to swallow meat is to slice it and that's why you need spreaders and that, of our frontcourt, only lee and vlad can do. maybe udoh will get there for he seems to be able to hit his jumpshot (ding ding! anthony randolph), otherwise our frontcourt is made of 2nd string centers and there's a neccessity to play vlad at the four for at least some offensive power.

yes, he underutilizes curry by sitting him for DEFENSIVE mistakes, and it is a lose/lose situation, for curry makes up for that on the offense. here smart somehow doesn't see that. or maybe it's a team politics, to impose the idea of defense at any cost, no matter how awkward it may look with this team as it is built. let curry run free. forget the 'punishing daddy' mask at home. talent is more important than anything. let it run. don't bury it for what is not based on talent, but on learning.

this team can only play team defense, and it is a hard work to achieve, for it requires lots of communication and being together for more than half a year. our best defenders are mostly offensively dead and without point blank 1 foot shot they cannot score - amoudson and law. now are they elite enough (on defense) to outscore another team by stopping it? not a chance in the world. hence smart's trouble with his bench and overall inconsistency of the team - it has no style. it's experiment still. and joe lacob will have an amazing work in progress to put the team into a direction of a sort: will he break our backourt? will we go big and slow with less talented players? or will we be running and thus in a need for more scoring options at the frontcourt and some not so offensively retarded (like good three point threat) and defensively good 2 off the bench?

we'll see.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:27 am
I'm not really defending Smart here, but the simple reality is that he has almost no options. Who is supposed to come off the bench to spell Monte and Steph? Williams has been crap of late, Law is of no value at all. I'm not saying that Monte doesn;t deserve or need the breaks in game, but when every he's off the court, the entire team stalls.

And where was Lacob going to find a 'competent' coach a couple weeks before the season? And one to work with the Warriors? C'mon, Smart was the only way Lacob could go. And Smart is doing whatever he can to win some games, probably in the only chance he has at keeping this job.

Be critical of Smart, fine. But don't complain about things that could never happen.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:34 pm
If Smart wants to come back to as a coach he needs to be more assertive and have more trust in the bench.

We are losing games because of his rotations, I know we need more depth from the bench, fact, but at the same time Smart is under-using the bench or playing the wrong players or putting in the wrong players that don't compliment each other.

I hear the complaints about the bench Martin, yes that is fact that is why it is important on how Smart uses the bench, he cannot just sub all the bench at once, he has to do it smart, have at least 2/3 starters in while incorporating the bench.

I remember one game not sure exactly who we were playing against but Smart had benched Ellis and Curry for 4 plus minutes, not only that he had Lee at Center and I think Rad at the 4 warriors were up by 2 then, during that span the other team built a double digit lead. I remember this because right after he made the substitution I mentioned what a huge mistake it was, and by no avail the team went down, and never came back up.

Either Monta or Curry have to be in the game at all times, that's a simple simple coaching theme that Smart should never mistake. Further Acie Law should not be getting minutes over Reggie Williams.

As far as defense goes we do have the type of post players that are more than capable of rebounding and playing defense, Smart needs to know that and throw them out there more, when we play against bigger teams Smart needs to send a heavy dosage of Udoh, Lou, Gadz, consistently to sub in for Beans, not so much for Lee but he needs rest as well.

Bring Rad at the 3, and rotate the starters keeping them fresh but don't gut all of them at the same time, the bench is limited so Smart has to play and utilize the most out of them.

Draz, I am complaining because smart can infact work his rotations better, all the players are healthy he needs to know how use them to rest the starters.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:30 am
how about bucks going small to drag our rebounders off the paint? how about curry and ellis winning a game despite smart's ineptness? how about curry making half court pass to ellis while smart screams to slow it down? how about being blind that playing big against milwaukees small and thus fast lineup is a loss written all over? smart is surely strange in managing the game and his players' strengths.
don nelson or any other coach with brains and experience blows out this milwaukee team, easily.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball