Bye-Bye Carney

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 pm
Warriors waive Rodney Carney:
[url]
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... ors-carney[/url]

Humm... interesting... do they have some player movement in mind?

All Star
» Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:26 pm
Also the lead athletic trainer is gone (Tom Abdenour).

http://www.insidebayarea.com/warriors/ci_17008189

All Star
» Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:49 pm
not bad of a departure... he shot well for us, but i don't think his presence would be missed...

All Star
» Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 pm
I don't understand waving Carney. i guess they had too many players at his position. They should have gotten rid of Abdenour a long time ago.

Rookie
» Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:22 pm
Damnit. I liked Carney. Good spot-up shooter. But I guess you're right, we have Reggie to back up the SG/SF position. Why not cut somebody like Charlie Bell? The only reasoning I see of keeping Bell is to trade at the deadline?

Starting Lineup
» Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:20 pm
KingJames1223 wrote:Damnit. I liked Carney. Good spot-up shooter. But I guess you're right, we have Reggie to back up the SG/SF position. Why not cut somebody like Charlie Bell? The only reasoning I see of keeping Bell is to trade at the deadline?

yep that's what I was thinking. looking over the W's roster, there's little reason to keep Bell, he should've been the odd man out based on talent/potential. so the only reason to keep him will probably be some inclusion of him in a future trade. I'll miss Carney's dunks.

All Star
» Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 pm
rockyBeli wrote:
KingJames1223 wrote:Damnit. I liked Carney. Good spot-up shooter. But I guess you're right, we have Reggie to back up the SG/SF position. Why not cut somebody like Charlie Bell? The only reasoning I see of keeping Bell is to trade at the deadline?

yep that's what I was thinking. looking over the W's roster, there's little reason to keep Bell, he should've been the odd man out based on talent/potential. so the only reason to keep him will probably be some inclusion of him in a future trade. I'll miss Carney's dunks.

No one is going to give you anything for Charlie Bell. Not even as part of a package. The only reason why they cut Carney is because he was due to make close to 1 million dollars guranteed fi they didn't cut him by today. Not only can Reggie play his position (not very well, he's more of a shooting guard, you have D. Wright and Vlad. with the re-emergence of B. Wright and Udoh there just wasn't enough positions or playing time. Besides, Reggie Williams needs more playing time to be effective. Carney's 10minutes a game will probably be added to Reggie's time. Bell and Lin should never play meaningful minutes.

All Star
» Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:09 pm
Reason he was cut is becuase his contract would have been gaurenteed. They didn't need him, so letting him go saves some money and opens a spot to add someone else either via trade or a prospect from the D-League. Getting another big might not be a bad idea with the injuries... but they probably won't do anything and keep it open to have flexibility in a trade.

If Bell's contract wasn't gaurenteed, then they probably would have cut him instead, but he is due 3 million this year, and cutting him doesn't save any money. I think his contract isn't fully gaurenteed next year, and he will probably be traded or cut during the off season.

All Star
» Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:11 pm
If you look online you will see a lot of teams are cutting players right before the deadline.
This is common practice to save teams some money.

Wouldn't be surprised if they cut Law since he has a gimp wrist now.

» Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:10 pm
I'm not a big fan of Law either, so I wouldn't mind cutting him as well, but then we need Bell.

Anyway, I would like to see Adrien back now that we have a spot available. I know a lot of you guys here don't like him, cause he's not that good offensively, but we don't need that at all from him. We have a lot of problems rebounding the ball, and he's been great in that segment, plus, his defense is quite good as well, even though he's a bit smaller for a PF, but he is quite strong.

All Star
» Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:49 am
Guybrush wrote:I'm not a big fan of Law either, so I wouldn't mind cutting him as well, but then we need Bell.

Anyway, I would like to see Adrien back now that we have a spot available. I know a lot of you guys here don't like him, cause he's not that good offensively, but we don't need that at all from him. We have a lot of problems rebounding the ball, and he's been great in that segment, plus, his defense is quite good as well, even though he's a bit smaller for a PF, but he is quite strong.

Aaron Miles is playing well in the D-League... and he is familar with our sets.

All Star
» Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 am
Guybrush wrote:I'm not a big fan of Law either, so I wouldn't mind cutting him as well, but then we need Bell.

I like Jeff Adrien too. I also liked Anthony Toliver. Once you get the D League tag it's hard to shake. Adrien has done more for the Warriors than B Wright ever has. It's not always about performance, it's mostly about money. :-X