Keith Smart

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:25 am
JREED wrote:I think we might be better off with Nelly at this point, with Smart as our HC we have no identity. You're talking about a roster, this year, that is vastly better than last year and we'll be lucky to win two more games... I'm not a Nelly supporter but Smart is a scrub - I spent a lot of time watching him during the Blazer game Saturday night and even his demeanor is garbage - dude only got out of his seat for TOs and in the last few minutes of the game.

I've thought what hobbes said for a long time now. The new owner group never had a chance to salvage this season - Cohan's final middle finger to the fans.


We'll it starts with replacing the GM and the directore of basketball operations. You do not want to wait if you plan on moving them.
You want to have them scouting talent for the draft now, and also seeing if they can get anything done by the trade deadline.

Not that I want them to get rid of Riely, but if they are going to clean house they should start with the top, and start now. Leave the HC and training staff in place for the rest of the year, but get everything ready in the front office.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Posts: 2320
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: lithuania, gargzdai
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:37 am
it was made obvious by yesterdays game that smart's offense sucks - the only thing he makes players do is play high picks, which leaves our bigs seperated from offense since none of the picks results in cuts, rolls or anything like that, only the guards standing in different position with the same result - a defense player in their face. nothing else he runs. i bet when the warriors start running and gunning it's a player creativity and smart only does what he should do from now on - let them play and create, let them feel fun, no more depressing useless high pick movement offense - we played that in high school, it never worked and get players out of any natural rhythm they may posses.
again, we have no defensive stoppers, except maybe for udoh (and him being a rookie says a lot). we can be fast, play risky defense creating turnovers when stealing, nothing else works or worked. this is not defensive team and can't be (in an ordinary way) because of it's players - finnesse athletes who can run but are weak (dorrell wright is an epitome of weak) at holding one on one defense.
i don't know what lacob thinks, but this can't be slow mo defensive team, the only thing this team can do to be watchable and playing at least to their potential is to run and run, no matter how much lacob does not like that.
either play proper nellie ball, or tank and change whole roster with exception of udoh.
kings game made it clear, we made a run when we, well, did try and run. simple math. obviousness. IN YOUR FACE factual evidence.
so, are lacob and smart blind basketball wise?
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Hollywood
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:23 pm
martin wrote:it was made obvious by yesterdays game that smart's offense sucks - the only thing he makes players do is play high picks, which leaves our bigs seperated from offense since none of the picks results in cuts, rolls or anything like that, only the guards standing in different position with the same result - a defense player in their face. nothing else he runs. i bet when the warriors start running and gunning it's a player creativity and smart only does what he should do from now on - let them play and create, let them feel fun, no more depressing useless high pick movement offense - we played that in high school, it never worked and get players out of any natural rhythm they may posses.
again, we have no defensive stoppers, except maybe for udoh (and him being a rookie says a lot). we can be fast, play risky defense creating turnovers when stealing, nothing else works or worked. this is not defensive team and can't be (in an ordinary way) because of it's players - finnesse athletes who can run but are weak (dorrell wright is an epitome of weak) at holding one on one defense.
i don't know what lacob thinks, but this can't be slow mo defensive team, the only thing this team can do to be watchable and playing at least to their potential is to run and run, no matter how much lacob does not like that.
either play proper nellie ball, or tank and change whole roster with exception of udoh.
kings game made it clear, we made a run when we, well, did try and run. simple math. obviousness. IN YOUR FACE factual evidence.
so, are lacob and smart blind basketball wise?


You make some good points but I think you're being a bit too extreme. Change the whole roster with the exception of Udoh? Really?

It really all comes down to coaching. Until we get someone in here who holds the players accountable for their defense and pulls them when they aren't hustling ... we're gonna get the same ol' Warriors. Look amazing for a quarter, then look like a d-league team for a half. Great game here, shitty game there, no consistency.

Let's not forget how little time these guys have had to play together too... Udoh injured, Curry's current injury, Lee injured in the summer and the gross elbow ...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:20 pm
i wonder if lacob could lure larry brown... i know he said the only reason he coached the bobcats was because of mj, but it's xmas so i shouldn't be judged for wishful thinking
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Hollywood
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:18 pm
Meh ... that'd be a short term fix. I'd rather someone young and refreshing with something to live for
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56 pm
I would like to get Adelman, I like how he somehow gets out the best from his players. I know he's not young, but still...:)

If you people have a better idea, I'd love to hear it. Anyway, I'm quite sure Adelman won't come here.
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2569
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Hollywood
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 pm
YOU PEOPLE?!

I want to pry away Butler's coach but I doubt he'll leave. Any young, aspiring defensive-minded assistant coaches around the league? I suggested Brian Shaw last time but I think he ends up succeeding Phil.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:14 am
Don't know why I wrote "people"... :)

That's why I asked, I'm not watching NCAA basketball that much so I would know good coaches there. I watch a game here and there, but that's about it. I'm watching now Xavier - Gonzaga, just random matches when I don't have anything to do, and something's on.

I don't know about Brian Shaw, I would actually like someone a bit older, who knows what he's doing (not saying that Shaw doesn't), but someone who will figure it our right away. And no need for defensive minded coach, he can be offensive, just not to forget to play any defense at all.
Image
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Los Anyeles, CA
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:12 pm
I don't know how good of an idea it is, but what about bringing in a coach who is established in the European game much like D'Antoni was when he came to the Suns. I know there has got to be some quality coaches out there looking for a chance in the NBA. I also liked the idea of Butler's head coach as he is young and a very good coach, but I think he may be too young to coach in the NBA right now. Leading college men in a mid-major conference is VERY different from managing the egos in the NBA.
Get Money. Get Paid.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:14 pm
There's a lot of good coaches in Europe. They really ask of you to play defense, and they rotate players a lot. Though, that doesn't happen that often, I mean for a coach that spent some time in Europe to come to the NBA.

I know one good assistant coach who is from Europe and is in the NBA for some time now.
http://www.nba.com/suns/roster/
His name is below Majerle's, and try not to pay too much attention to his college, cause I'll be a homer. :mrgreen:

Though, I don't know if he's up to a HC job. But, as I read it here, we now need an assistant coach as well, cause we lost Silas.
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:41 am
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:33 pm
I agree with everyone who says that Keith Smart is over-matched. He has know credibility with the refs and he doesn't know the strength and weakness of his players. He doesn't see the Admundson has bad hands and you should never run a pick and roll with him. He doesn't see the Radmonovich has know brain cells and make dumb, idiotic tunovers. He doesn't know that Reggie Williams is a much better starter than a bench player. He doesn't understand that Steph Curry needs to take more shots. He doesn't realize that Udoh is the best center on the team right now.

There is a better Coach on the bench right now. Calbert Chaney. He was a better player than Smart and he was one of Bobby Knights coach on the floor when he played. Smart rode the coat tail of Steve Alford when he was in college. Hey, get Bobby Knight. :-k
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:08 am
The recent lopsided 3rd quarters have to be a coaching issue; they illustrate the contrast between a good coach, that prepares his team at halftime to get back in the game, and a bad coach who has a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Smart is out of his league. He may do a decent job in preparation for the game but he sure isn't nelly when it comes down to adjustments, or any other NBA HC for that matter.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:16 pm
JREED wrote:The recent lopsided 3rd quarters have to be a coaching issue; they illustrate the contrast between a good coach, that prepares his team at halftime to get back in the game, and a bad coach who has a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Smart is out of his league. He may do a decent job in preparation for the game but he sure isn't nelly when it comes down to adjustments, or any other NBA HC for that matter.


I agree with you in part. But it could be lack of execution... but it didn't even look like they were making the adjustments so coach Smart probably has a big part in the second half failures and not adjusting. He is a smart guy, not just because his last name is Smart, but because he knows and learns just like we do. So give him time to make the changes, and also give him time to teach the younger players. He has been around the league and around basketball for all his life. I am sure he knows more then what we give him credit for. That is what you get with a young coach. And even proven NBA hall of Fame Head coaches have trouble getting their team to learn certain concepts. I mean, look at the bobcats. They couldn't crack wthat Coach Brown was trying to get them to do.. was it because he was a bad coach? No. The players have to be capable and willing to learn. And it takes time.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"
Image

Image : 2010 - 2011
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Los Anyeles, CA
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:17 pm
This is all part of the masterplan to land a superstar. The last team Keith Smart coached, got the number 1 pick in the draft of Lebron James. We will either land Perry Jones or Harrison Barnes and then get a new coach next year.

Adelman could definitely get us to the playoffs. If a trio of Scola/Brooks and Martin can be in the hunt, I think one of Ellis, Curry and Lee could too. I don't know if he is a championship caliber coach, but that can be said about all coaches right now not named Doc Rivers or Greg Poppovich. Speaking of Poppovich I was hoping so much the Spurs would finally show their age this year and with Duncan close to retiring maybe Pop would take some time off, only to find a year later he missed basketball and coach a new team. It's too bad he's such a good coach he can probably have that team contending for a few more years.
Get Money. Get Paid.

All Star
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:41 am
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:24 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:This is all part of the masterplan to land a superstar. The last team Keith Smart coached, got the number 1 pick in the draft of Lebron James. We will either land Perry Jones or Harrison Barnes and then get a new coach next year.

Adelman could definitely get us to the playoffs. If a trio of Scola/Brooks and Martin can be in the hunt, I think one of Ellis, Curry and Lee could too. I don't know if he is a championship caliber coach, but that can be said about all coaches right now not named Doc Rivers or Greg Poppovich. Speaking of Poppovich I was hoping so much the Spurs would finally show their age this year and with Duncan close to retiring maybe Pop would take some time off, only to find a year later he missed basketball and coach a new team. It's too bad he's such a good coach he can probably have that team contending for a few more years.


We let Popovich get away, remember?
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests