Keith Smart

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 pm
It sounds like the players are losing faith in him and he is not doing a good job managing the team. He either needs to be fired or demoted back to an assitant coach. He is not subbing right and it is brutal to watch the games. Warrior basketball is becoming boring. Who do you see as canidates to replace Smart because I do not think he will be back next year.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:18 am
I hate when this happens. The season is far from over, we have...well, OK team, and we could get that 8th spot at least, but that is not possible, if you sub in guys to play 1-2 mins, then get them out, and then put them back in 2 quarters later to play couple more minutes. Starters are getting tired, and they play weak defense, and offense is far from the offense Nellie had. And subs are not getting enough time to get consistent, even if they start good, or hot as you wish, they lose it soon when they get on the bench.

I would like to see some long term solution (a good one) soon, but I know that ain't gonna happen.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:39 am
yep, it took not much to see that keith smart is not an nba coach. and certainly not fit for this team. i still think we are more talented than our record says and hope we get some wins with easier schedule coming. i propose that smart become an assistant coach and vladrad become a headcoach - it can't be worse, even with no one at the helmet.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:50 am
I agree with Srbija and broliukas - fire his azz.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:11 pm
I'd like to see a line up of Curry/Ellis/Wright/Lee/Udoh before we let him go
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:48 am
Sorry, I disagree with what everyone posted so far. I don't like coach Smarts substitution pattern, but the bench has been lousy, and they don't look like they are trying hard except for a couple exceptions. The problem here is that I think he believes he needs to win games, or keep them close and then he plays his starters too much because the bench doesn't bring it. He has the starters focused, but there have been so many injuries between cury, ellis, and lee. So we don't know what they really can do.

Have faith guys, it is only 1/4 of the season with a new coach and lots of new players. They are going to get better, a lot of people here didn't believe they were going to make the playoffs, so I don't know why so much criticism for them losing. I would wait till the end of next season to determine if he should remain the head coach. And I say that because next year, the starters will have 1 year under their belt together, and they will have a depper bench by then.

WIth that said we will probably struggle all the way up to All star break, then the second half of the season will be better. but you need to give him time. You wouldn't fire Avery Johnson right now because of their record, would you?
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:52 pm
He is trying to win games, but not going to win enough and get fired anyways. This team is not good can't stop dribble penetration or block shots which you need to be a good defensive team. Offense is ok not spectacular right now Udoh should get longer playing time to see what he has. Let him play to see how he does and if he can correct his mistakes each game he plays.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:21 pm
Unless he overachieves, he's basically here for one year until Lacob can bring in a bigger name. It's too bad they couldn't get the team 2-3 months earlier, it ended up pushing back everything a full year.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:09 am
I doubt it happens, but if Houston continues to underachieve, it is possible Adelman gets fired. He is a very solid coach who has always gotten his teams to compete hard. If he is available I hope the new owners go for a big name coach like him. If not him at least any coach who realizes he has great players to utilize the pick and roll since with their combination of speed and shooting, Monta and Curry are perfect candidates to run it with a good PNR PF like Lee, yet we hardly ever do so on offense.
Get Money. Get Paid.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:43 pm
Smart needed to play Reggie Williams earlier than he did, no matter the funk he was in the bench was too depleted not to make him the main guy off the bench from the get go.

Smart needs to play the bench more in general, more Gadz, Lou, Udoh, he also needs more help at the S/F, S/G, if we can get Tayshuan Prince, JR Smith, Shawn Marion, or a player that can spread the floor.
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:28 pm
I'm saying that for quite some time, more minutes for the bench. They can get into some kind of rhythm that way, and also starters can get some much needed rest, and be at their best at the end of the games.

Also, out of those 3 players you mentioned, I would like if we could get J.R. Smith, he could help. Also, when it comes to SF position, I would try some more Rad there.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:25 pm
hobbes wrote:Unless he overachieves, he's basically here for one year until Lacob can bring in a bigger name. It's too bad they couldn't get the team 2-3 months earlier, it ended up pushing back everything a full year.

Yea I agree and that is the best move, start clean

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:04 pm
Lacob and Co. didn't have control of the team early enough to get a fair shot at a HC or GM. I'm sure most of you know, Kevin Pritchard is out there, and while the Blazers still havn't won anything significant, you can't say that he didn't build a talented team. Foye for Roy was one of the biggest steals in recent memory.
As far as a new coach, we'd need a new GM first to determine what kind of team he wants to mold. As much as I like Riley for drafting Steph (he fell who wouldn't have?) I don't see him here long term. As far as Smart, he is known as a defensive first guy, but when has that ever translated since he's been an assistant in the past or this year as HC? I love both of those guys, they seem like great guys, but in the NBA you have to be cut-throat!

Lacob, having witnessed the Celtics go from a lottery team to a champion in 2 years, hopefully has the right vision. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He kept these guys on for this year having ceased control so late. Better to make it a smooth transition.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:51 pm
dubs089 wrote:It sounds like the players are losing faith in him and he is not doing a good job managing the team. He either needs to be fired or demoted back to an assitant coach. He is not subbing right and it is brutal to watch the games. Warrior basketball is becoming boring. Who do you see as canidates to replace Smart because I do not think he will be back next year.

I would give him more than 15 minutes. It takes a while to replace bad with good. [-X
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 pm
I think we might be better off with Nelly at this point, with Smart as our HC we have no identity. You're talking about a roster, this year, that is vastly better than last year and we'll be lucky to win two more games... I'm not a Nelly supporter but Smart is a scrub - I spent a lot of time watching him during the Blazer game Saturday night and even his demeanor is garbage - dude only got out of his seat for TOs and in the last few minutes of the game.

I've thought what hobbes said for a long time now. The new owner group never had a chance to salvage this season - Cohan's final middle finger to the fans.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball