NEW OWNERS TALK OPENLY ABOUT SAN FRANCISCO

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:41 pm
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/23/new-warriors-owners-talking-openly-about-san-francisco-oakland-may-not-like-that/

New Warriors owners talking openly about San Francisco, Oakland may not like that

Kurt Helin

Nov 23, 2010, 8:33 PM EST
Leave a comment
san-francisco-skyline-at-night

The new owners of the Golden State Warriors have not been subtle about where they left their heart — they have talked openly about loving San Francisco. They’ve started flirting with The City.

As Arena Digest points out, the first big media event that Peter Guber and Joseph Lacob held was in a San Francisco restaurant, and they were not shy about saying they were open to a move across the bay. Nor should they be — that would mean a new stadium (hello revenue!) and a move into one of the wealthiest markets in the nation.

No shock — this all isn’t sitting well in Oakland. One Mercury News columnist went over the top and said they should change the name to the “Oakland Warriors” if they were committed to the team.

But the Warriors have always been the Bay Area’s team. Unlike in the NFL, there were no lines drawn between two teams. The name is Golden State and fans come from all over the Bay Area — even Dublin — to support the Warriors.

That would not change with a move to San Francisco. But don’t expect some in Oakland who think they can use this to their advantage to let that happen quietly.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:24 pm
[-o< [-o< it only makes sense [-o< [-o<
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:22 pm
Wouldn't mind it. Then we could put "The City" back on the uniforms for good... Where would the stadium be though? Hopefully in walking distance from my job on mission st.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:30 pm
i'd stab a white mfker so mfken quik if this **** happens
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:50 pm
8th ave wrote:i'd stab a white mfker so mfken quik if this **** happens

What does race have anything to do with this? If that comment had been made in reference to any other race you'd be chastised by everyone... oh well, still doesn't change the fact that statement was incredibly ignorant...

SF >>>>>> Oakland. Whats wrong with moving the team to a city that isn't dieing? Oakland cant support the other teams they have, the As already have one foot out the door, when Al goes the Raiders will undoubtably have a new home. The only reason why the Warriors' haven't struggled like the other two franchises is because of that glorious cultural and economic beacon that resides across the bay bridge. Move to SF = New stadium = More money to spend on payroll.

Go ahead and stab all you want, this is going to happen eventually, Oakland is not a viable city for professional sports franchises anymore.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:10 pm
i hope they stay in oakland so that you can eat your words
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:29 pm
Might be a good move from a sponsorship dollars aspect. But ticket prices would skyrocket and put the game experience of the Oakland faithful out of there price range.

If this happens then i will start a public drive to keep the golden State team in Oakland. Lacob can move his team elsewhere. But he can't take the name (like when Seattle got to keep the Supersonics) . The Bay Area is big enough for 2 teams and i will refuse to support this team if they move to San francisco.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:50 pm
This is an intriguing subject matter that pits two tales of the city, Oakland vs San Fran. Implications could be harming to Oakland while it adds more prestige to an already well known destination point that is San Fran.

I stay in San Jose so am not deeply rooted in the matter of location I would still have to take bart to get to go to the game.

Oakland has been the home of the Warriors for the longest time so the owners owe a form of gratitude in staying, at the same time Oakland has had major issues connected to crime/safety. In-case a tourist or somebody wants to go early to a game and kill time, they would much rather do so in San Fran than Oakland and that's what majority will say.

At the end of the day it is a tough decision Oakland needs the warriors, and the Warriors will create more prestige in San Fran.

On a side note aren't the Niners relocating to Santa Clara in the near future ?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:02 pm
Like others have said, I don't see a huge problem with this, and I am from the east bay. After having to share that parking lot and arena in oakland I would not want to renew the same lease. Al Davis has not only ruined that stadium , but he has ruined the prospect of any other professional sports team having a healthy relationship with the city of oakland. Not only that, like others have said, I would much rather spend the day in SF wasting time until a warriors game than wasting the time in oakland. Also if I can't get into a game the bars and crowd are friendlier in almost any imaginable market in SF than around the Oakland arena. That plus the revenue could only help our team. I'm from the east bay and I'm sorry but all those opposed to this move, need to swallow their pride, realize the warriors are and always will be BAY AREA's team (not just Oakland's), and they are better off moving from their current location.
Get Money. Get Paid.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:30 pm
8th ave wrote:i hope they stay in oakland so that you can eat your words

Yeah, well at least I'll have words to eat, that consisted of an argument with evidence to support my opinion, instead of just an inexplicable and mindless slur about how I'll stab a person of another race... What case can you make for the dubs to stay in Oakland?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:40 pm
JREED wrote:
8th ave wrote:i hope they stay in oakland so that you can eat your words

Yeah, well at least I'll have words to eat, that consisted of an argument with evidence to support my opinion, instead of just an inexplicable and mindless slur about how I'll stab a person of another race... What case can you make for the dubs to stay in Oakland?

One case i can make is i Believe Oakland fans (aka poorer people) cheer louder... I'm not saying we wouldn't be a loud venue over in San Francisco, but after sitting 2nd row courtside at the Clippers game this year and then sitting up in the nose bleeds for the Memphis... I noticed how much the peeps in the cheaps enjoy and hoot about there hoops.

With the Warriors being one of the more cheaper teams to go see NBA Games, a new stadium on the other side of the bay will only increase ticket prices as they try and pay off a new stadium being built... Too essentially have this group of fans miss out on NBA games because the people who could afford lowerbowl tickets in Oakland can now only fork out tickets for the upper section. I believe the venue wouldn't be as Raukus & where opposing NBA teams who come visit the Bay Area and fear the noise levels of the Oracle would be replaced with one of these **** NBA venues who fans don't have a reputation for being loud I.E UTAH or Sacramento.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:28 am
That is a legit concern PAWNO as once the Giant's new stadium opened, for a while more rich people were paying attention to their cellphones than the game. However, I'm pretty sure Utah is know for having one of the loudest and most rambunctious home crowds in basketball. I'm pretty sure every year they have a top home record in the NBA because of this crazy (and racist by many accounts) crowd.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:55 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:That is a legit concern PAWNO as once the Giant's new stadium opened, for a while more rich people were paying attention to their cellphones than the game. However, I'm pretty sure Utah is know for having one of the loudest and most rambunctious home crowds in basketball. I'm pretty sure every year they have a top home record in the NBA because of this crazy (and racist by many accounts) crowd.

Ok bro...

I can't speak on Utah's behalf... I do know that the attendance is good, But i used them as a reference because when the warriors met them in the Western Semi finals in 2006 (after we smoked Dallas)... Sloan did mention that this is the loudest arena he'd ever been too.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:36 am
I don't think any of that will change much, and the playoff games are a bad example because playoff tickets are expensive regardless of the team, venue or city so that eliminates the argument that poorer fans cheer louder from that example.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:59 am
Pretty dumb argument in my opinion. If thats the case, lets move the stadium to East Oakland.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball