What Will Be the First Big Move Under the New Ownership?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What Will Be the First Big Move Under the New Ownership?

Trade a Starter
6%
Upgrade the Bench
47%
Fire Riley
6%
Fire Smart
No votes
Fire Training Staff
41%

Total votes : 17

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:41 pm
I vote for the training staff. After setting the record last year for most games missed due to injury (or very close to it), this David Lee fiasco should be the last straw. Plus, I love the irony -- for all the reasons we wanted Cohan out, the training staff is currently our biggest issue. Second is clearly our bench, but it would be stronger if not for injuries.

The poll is for what you think will be the first big move. The discussion can also include what you want to be the first big move.
I Believe - that Curry and Monta are gonna have a lot of fun playing together for many years to come.
I Believe - we will be the most improved team in the league next year.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:00 pm
Fire Riley, and then the training Staff
Cohan and Nelly are gone!!!
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:01 pm
Rileys brought in a lot of talent ... unless we can get someone that would be an obvious upgrade, I don't think we should cut ties with him just yet.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:08 pm
I have a feeling that many of the changes that have already taken place, have been done under the supervision of the new ownership.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:43 am
Naw, Riley is good. There is no magical person to do a better job.

Smart is off to an excellent start.

It is doubtful the trainer is responsible for rolled ankles and such. Don't know if he didn't treat Lee properly. They pretty much all have the same information, so he probably did what all trainers do.

I see picking up one more guy if there is an opportunity to improve.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:32 pm
many on here might not agree with me, but i think we should try to move biedrins... besides rebounding, there arent that many other things that he does for this team... his free throws are horrible, his post moves are highly limited, he doesn't have inside presence defensively nor does he block shots, and there were many times this season where he missed point blank shots just because he's not collected and rushes the put back...

there are two or three people that i'd like in his place, but i think the most attainable is probably anderson varejao... he doesn't block shots, but he moves better than biedrins and he puts himself in less awkward defensive positions compared to bierdrins... with that said, he averages less fouls and doesn't take himself out the game with foul trouble like andris does... and even though he doesn't have a good ft%, anything would be an upgrade over biedrins who is shooting ZERO percent in retrospect...

other centers i wouldn't mind having are javale mcgee, tyson chandler, and marcus camby...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:44 pm
I think the only move we can make to upgrade the roster is to move Curry. Seriously, any trade for Biedrins would be replacing one flawed big for another flawed big. Sure we can move Ellis, but the problem with Curry is that he is a shooting guard (nowhere near to being the next Steve Nash) and the league has a lot of good shooting guards (the easiest position to replace) but we really need an elite PG or scoring big to make the next step.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... g-already/

great read on new ownership

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 pm
YALLLZ CRAZY if you say fire Riley. dude is a new man after breaking free of Nellie's strings. I love every move
he made this offseason. David Lee for 3 bench players? Dorell Wright the steal of the offseason? J. Lin he make the fans
go crazy. Amundson, Carney, etc. Riley has definitely earned the right to keep performing as GM. Fire the training staff. This
team would be even better if are big man depth was healthy.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:17 pm
the training staff has nothing to do with players getting injured

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 pm
Upgrade the bench is the next big move, and I believe Riely will be the man to do it. He has made some good moves the past year, he is on a roll and has the backing of the new owners.

However I don't see this getting done until next offseason... because of the possible lockout. I don't think they will move those expiring contracts until the CBA is settled.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:21 pm
we still haven't seen louis or epke play yet so it's hard to assess our bench just yet

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:25 pm
8th ave wrote:we still haven't seen louis or epke play yet so it's hard to assess our bench just yet

Perhaps, but I don't see them being the difference makers that Riely and everyone else is saying we need. I think there is a ton of talent to be had in this free agency, and that we can get some good players to come off of the bench that would take us to a whole new level.

Sacramento's Dalembert and Carl Landry, are both free agents, and I doubt they will keep both of them. They are going to try and have to get the Demarcus Cousins situation to work, and the best way would to slow rotate him into a starter. My guess is they resign Landry and have Cousins at the center with thompson coming off the bench.

Which means we could possible signe Dalembert (or some sort of sign and trade), so we can have a front court of Dalembert and Udoh of the bench. Both excellent shot blockers and known for defense. Something we are focusing on and would be great pieces come of behind lee and beans. Then with a mid or part of the mid level exception you can sign a PG like Telfair. I doubt the wolves will sign him again, since they have Flynn and Luke and possibly Rubio at that spot. The thing I like about telfair coming off the bench at PG is though he is smaller (6'0), he is strong and quick. He brings good experience but doesn't need to be a starter. He will also bring a different dynamic to the bench.

Although I am excited for this season, I think if we... dare i say when we... upgrade the bench, next year we will be a really good team.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:27 pm
haha, just reread my post. Sorry for the misspellings and gramar mistakes. I am rushing to leave work for the day...

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:15 am
I am keeping a close eye on Tayshaun Prince. Post looks decent, PG looks good, minus the bench but I think Reggie is capable of running the point. Things aren't looking too good in Detroit right now, so if we some how land Tayshaun he would fit on the team nicely, coming of the bench, giving the needed spark. I would love such a move, and the training staff not sure what too make of them but results show they are not performing well.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball